Fake Three Kings Charcoal! Anyone Seen These?

The good-looking counterfeits I saw had a yellow diamond emblem on the box, rather than the goldish-coppery emblem Three Kings uses. I did a test burn on them and found the Three Kings to be somewhat better. That being said, these were samples of the counterfeits and samples tend to be better most of the time than the actual product.

I have seen some knock-off samples that were as good or better than the originals. Of course, trusting samples is a disaster.

[quote name='Sonthert' date='09 January 2010 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1263074958' post='444193']
The good-looking counterfeits I saw had a yellow diamond emblem on the box, rather than the goldish-coppery emblem Three Kings uses. I did a test burn on them and found the Three Kings to be somewhat better. That being said, these were samples of the counterfeits and samples tend to be better most of the time than the actual product.

I have seen some knock-off samples that were as good or better than the originals. Of course, trusting samples is a disaster.
[/quote]

What type of coals do you use at your lounge?

[quote name='Sonthert' date='09 January 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1263075913' post='444199']
Golden Canaries Japanese or Abu Hitham Japanese. Whichever is available and cheaper based on the product.
[/quote]

Really! For some reason I thought you would opt to use something along the lines of the Exotica finger coals or the bulk charcoal. I have noticed that many lounges lately have swithced from the bulk charcoal due to the recommendations of the Fire Marshall, bulk charcoal, install a hood in the kitchen. I was checking out this hookah lounge a couple of nights ago, and the Fire Marshall made them add hookah stands to prevent the hookahs from tripping and falling over. The guy didn't like it at first, but later noticed that the breakage rate had really gone down. He uses tall KM and his lounge has to tables. The guy was told that the Fire Marshall in the Inland Empire is proposing that all hookah lounges in the County do that and is trying to pass it into law.

[quote name='HookahUps' date='09 January 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1263076531' post='444206']
[quote name='Sonthert' date='09 January 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1263075913' post='444199']
Golden Canaries Japanese or Abu Hitham Japanese. Whichever is available and cheaper based on the product.
[/quote]

Really! For some reason I thought you would opt to use something along the lines of the Exotica finger coals or the bulk charcoal. I have noticed that many lounges lately have swithced from the bulk charcoal due to the recommendations of the Fire Marshall, bulk charcoal, install a hood in the kitchen. I was checking out this hookah lounge a couple of nights ago, and the Fire Marshall made them add hookah stands to prevent the hookahs from tripping and falling over. The guy didn't like it at first, but later noticed that the breakage rate had really gone down. He uses tall KM and his lounge has to tables. The guy was told that the Fire Marshall in the Inland Empire is proposing that all hookah lounges in the County do that and is trying to pass it into law.
[/quote]

Disturbing. I am of the opinion that Japanese coals are safer health-wise. I think finger coals roll more, create more CO and create more of a hazard. We keep fire extinguishers nearby, both type ABC and a type D for such mishaps. None has warranted using them in 6 years though.

[quote name='Sonthert' date='12 January 2010 - 05:57 AM' timestamp='1263301046' post='444731']
[quote name='HookahUps' date='09 January 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1263076531' post='444206']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Disturbing. I am of the opinion that Japanese coals are safer health-wise. I think finger coals roll more, create more CO and create more of a hazard. We keep fire extinguishers nearby, both type ABC and a type D for such mishaps. None has warranted using them in 6 years though.
[/quote]

I stand corrected. I called them Exotica finger coals, however, they are not really rolled. More like long and square blocks, forgot the word, think it would be called a long block or something. In mathematics, all lines are curves unless they are straight, then we call them lines. Hence, a straight line is like saying straight curve. And a square is just that, a square where all sides are even. Something like that. Getting late and losing it. Anywyas, the Exotica are blocks and I guess the new ones are marked in three equal parts for easier snapping and using. They do a lot of ask, but are pretty good. Ok for me, but a bit to ashy.

Back to the topic of Three Kings. I visited a local smoke shop and saw that he has the Fake Three Kings that people actually liked although they were fake. Notice the shinny box and roll. They are bad copies designwise, however, their quality is better than the better copied designs where the box is a better fake, but the coals are pretty much stale quality and really crappy. If you look closely at the price, $3.49, more expensive than the originals, and although they say Three Kings, at the bottom of the box, it says Made in China. Also, notice the how the rolls are sealed and in the pattern. All charcoal in China is produced in two or three factories that private label and have varying qualities for every price. Will keep looking to see about the other copies I have run into and across that actually say Three Kings and not something like Three Queens or Three Men or Three Arrows or Three Crowns or Three ....., you get the message.

I bought a pack of Three Kings last night and I am 90% sure they are counterfeit.. I've never used Three Kings before, so I'm not positive. But these things started crumbling off in my purse while I was walking home, and when I lit them they smelled horrible and set off the smoke detector. They broke pretty easily when I squeezed the hot coal with my tongs. I've never bought anything but incense and clothes from this shop before, but I don't believe I will be returning. When I asked the guy if they had any coconut coals, he said, "Flavored charcoal? No, we don't have any of that."

[quote name='pollinaire' date='16 January 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1263705909' post='445958']
I bought a pack of Three Kings last night and I am 90% sure they are counterfeit.. I've never used Three Kings before, so I'm not positive. But these things started crumbling off in my purse while I was walking home, and when I lit them they smelled horrible and set off the smoke detector. They broke pretty easily when I squeezed the hot coal with my tongs. I've never bought anything but incense and clothes from this shop before, but I don't believe I will be returning. When I asked the guy if they had any coconut coals, he said, "Flavored charcoal? No, we don't have any of that."
[/quote]

Flavored charcoal! That's sad. I cant believe some retailers. You know many retailers are complaining of bad business, I wonder why! Thats why many people are going to the net to buy.

Definitely! I was hoping to mostly buy from local shops, especially for coals, since they are heavy and can get pricey to ship. This place had a pretty bad selection of shisha, too. Tins of SB and Ed Hardy, and some 50g boxes of Layalina. Oh well... hopefully the other shops around here will be a little more trustworthy.

[quote name='pollinaire' date='17 January 2010 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1263725241' post='445990']
Definitely! I was hoping to mostly buy from local shops, especially for coals, since they are heavy and can get pricey to ship. This place had a pretty bad selection of shisha, too. Tins of SB and Ed Hardy, and some 50g boxes of Layalina. Oh well... hopefully the other shops around here will be a little more trustworthy.
[/quote]

if you are worried about weight for shipping im pretty sure that some websites ship flat rate so its going to be the same price no matter what. i could be wrong about who does since i get apo shipping when someone ships me something but i think hookah john ships flat rate. and im sure there are sites that ship flat rate depending on how much you order. nazarhookah.com will ship free if you order 75 worth i know that one is flatrate for sure

[quote name='Amn_sinclair' date='17 January 2010 - 05:55 AM' timestamp='1263725731' post='445991']
[quote name='pollinaire' date='17 January 2010 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1263725241' post='445990']
[/quote]

if you are worried about weight for shipping im pretty sure that some websites ship flat rate so its going to be the same price no matter what. i could be wrong about who does since i get apo shipping when someone ships me something but i think hookah john ships flat rate. and im sure there are sites that ship flat rate depending on how much you order. nazarhookah.com will ship free if you order 75 worth i know that one is flatrate for sure
[/quote]

Oh, if Hookah John ships flat rate, that would be awesome. Was at the top of my list to order from, too. Thanks for the tip!