For Use With Tangiers Or Other Shisha, Phunnel Bowl Concept

Hello Everyone,

I saw this being done several times at shisha cafes and coffee shops in Egypt and Syria, has some followers elsewhre, primarily with the Nakhla Zaghloul Blend and similars, been meaning to share, but kinda got busy and slipped my mind.

I tried it with Starbuzz, Al Fakher, Al Amir, Layalina, and mine of course, worked ok, but took too much trial and error to get it to work right using this method, but, worked awesome with Tangiers and Zaghloul once you figure your own quanity and setup, and which coal to use. I tried it using the real Japanese Easy-Lites, some coconut blocks, and of course, lemon wood. The easy lites were the most convenient, but the lemon wood gave the best result.

As it gets going, the charcoal is moved from the sides towards the center until the whole bowl is used up. There is a slight gap between the tobacco and the foil, and, it takes a bit to get going, heatup the foil as a whole, but once it does, smooth sailing all the way as long as you got the time and the charcoal to feed it. I was wondering if anyone else has also seen this done, does this, tried this, would try, and if so, what was there setup and shisha.

A penny for your thoughts.....

HookahUps Edited by HookahUps

i do that sometimes, it works with all shisha brands. but i prefer a standard egyptian clay bowl or phunnel over a mod bowl.

its more efficient than starting the bowl from the center imo. if it takes a while to get going i just grab a windcover to speed up the proces, and remove it once the smoke volume is at the right level.

I agree, but it does take a lot more heat to get it going, at least when I do it, and a lot of coal compared to the classic way of many pinholes. By the way, where did you see it done and what is your setup? Why do you think it works better with the clay and not the mod? Maybe thats why its not working best with me?

i saw that setup a few years ago on a british site where i had bought some al fakher and nakhla.

and i never really liked the mod bowl, not even with a normal setup. for some reason i can always get more and smoother smoke from an egyptian bowl.
maybe that is because the mod bowl is shallow around the edges and the tobacco burns more easily, giving a harsh smoke.

my setup is sort of standard, except i always use a washable nammor hose. and i usually smoke from my brass egyptian because the draw is effortless in combination with the nammor.