Diy Hose Repair Help

momatik

I've had a KM washable hose for almost a year now. It's been great, until recently I wasn't getting the pull I'm used to.

So I checked it out and I found a HUGE hole in the side. I tried ducktape, but still air was getting through.

So I took a piece of clay, covered the hole up, then ducktaped that. There is still air getting through, but very little.

I didn't even care to check if it's safe to have clay in my hose or not.

I don't think it would be a problem, but I figured I should know for sure before I smoke out of it just in case.

If there is a problem, then I'm just going to make a Home Depot hose with the ends.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hot glue is really flexible and might work well in this situation, but I'm not sure how well it would stick to the hose. I love those latex tube hoses, even though I haven't built one yet. With the right fabric cover those things can look awesome.

the best advice I have is electrical tape, it'll work wonders on your hose, trust me I've patched up hoses worse than that. start above the hole, get a tight wrap going and go an inch or so below it. Make sure to work it into any crevices as you go. perfect brand new hose. And the electrical tape wont' hurt you.

Or if you want to do more, instead of destroying the hose, wrap a piece of plastic/vinyl around it and then electrical tape it.

QUOTE (hday @ Aug 13 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Users think of washable as being able to be run through the dish washer. Sellers think of washable as being capable of being wiped clean with a damp rag.

Latex hoses are the way to go.

Dude what are you talking about? Who in their right mind thinks that it means running it through the dishwasher?

And in reality "washable hoses" means that the inside won't corrode, so you can run water through it, submerge it in water, or even use a damp rag.

The "washable" hose on here isn't truly washable it's more along the lines of "we want to make money by calling it washable when we only mean the outside."

Latex hoses aren't that great either, unless you have one that's got a wide enough ID and enough structure not to collapse when it bends the wrong way.

QUOTE (momatik @ Aug 13 2008, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you look at the picture up higher, you'll see how "washable" it really is.

All of it was rusted.

Oh yeah I see your picture, it's not "truely washable" then it's just a good way to advertise.

I didn't REALLY mean the dishwasher. I just fill mine with water and blow out all of the dirt/flack. The crappy part is that most of the crap that comes out is from the hose itself. Meh, whatever. If I clean it out before I smoke I don't have a problem with the rusting/corrosion.

I got a latex hose for my small travel hookah, cheap and effective, the draw is not bad (ID of 1/4"), but it's no nammor like I got right now wink.gif But it is defiantly my second hoes of choice all around, and collapsing is not an issue.

QUOTE (hday @ Aug 14 2008, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't REALLY mean the dishwasher. I just fill mine with water and blow out all of the dirt/flack. The crappy part is that most of the crap that comes out is from the hose itself. Meh, whatever. If I clean it out before I smoke I don't have a problem with the rusting/corrosion.

Lol good, I was honestly hoping you had never met anyone that put theirs in the dishwasher.

What kind of hose are you using (i'm assuming it's not latex)

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Aug 14 2008, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a latex hose for my small travel hookah, cheap and effective, the draw is not bad (ID of 1/4"), but it's no nammor like I got right now wink.gif But it is defiantly my second hoes of choice all around, and collapsing is not an issue.

awesome, I have nothing against latex hoses DIY style, I've just been spoiled with my nammor and my vinyl DIY cobra hoses

I just made myself a vinyl DIY hose. However, I did not have any old hoses that I was willing to cut apart to salvage the handles. So, in their absence, I fashioned my own. I cut a 10 inch length of 1/2 inch PVC and attached it to my vinyl tubing with some of the plastic fittings from Lowes. The fittings also triple as a mouthpiece and a connector to the base (just slip a rubber grommet around it and voila!) The Vinyl is 5 feet long, and with the addition of a 10 inch handle and a couple of fittings, the total length is just over 6 feet, the perfect hose length. I might at some point paint or otherwise decorate the handle so that it isn't just plain white. I was also considering using brass fittings instead of the plastic, as they look a bit more impressive, but I went with the plastic so i wouldn't have to deal with any oxidation issues with the brass that might occur.

[attachment=1985:DSCN0549.JPG]

However, i did have some problems with the vinyl. Everywhere i went, the vinyl tubing had been rolled around the spool so tight that it had been flattened out. What I ended up doing was buying an individual length of 10 feet and cutting it in half. However, the second 5 foot length was so crushed and kinked that I don't want to use it for a second hose because the kinks severely limit air flow, especially when compared to an unkinked tube.
Does any one know of a way to get the kinks out and return the vinyl to its natural, circular shape?

[attachment=1986:DSCN0550.JPG]

QUOTE (momatik @ Aug 12 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UPDATE: I made a DIY hose, and it is air tight and works like a champ.

[attachment=1978:IMAGE_065.jpg]

Looks nice! Get some cloth to wrap around the clear tubing and you have yourself a keeper!

I SORT of did the same thing with my KM hose..

[attachment=1991:w4.jpg]
[attachment=1990:w2.jpg]

QUOTE (Tikhman @ Aug 15 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be careful with PVC. I know its not being heated in this case, but that stuff can be really nasty.

Yeah, the PVC is nowhere near the heat. Between the downstem, the water, and the large volumes of air the smoke passes through before it gets to the hose handle, i think it should be cooled down enough to be safe. If you can run hot water through PVC, i think I'll be fine running essentially room temperature smoke through it.

QUOTE (agentscot @ Aug 15 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be careful with PVC. I know its not being heated in this case, but that stuff can be really nasty.

Yeah, the PVC is nowhere near the heat. Between the downstem, the water, and the large volumes of air the smoke passes through before it gets to the hose handle, i think it should be cooled down enough to be safe. If you can run hot water through PVC, i think I'll be fine running essentially room temperature smoke through it.

Heat really shouldn't be an issue. The problem i have is taste. I made an attachment for the hookah a while ago so that in the hose there's GASP another water chamber where the smoke filters again, then passes through ice. It worked great, but the problem was it tasted like PVC. It kept doing it for a whole week and we decided to scrap the extra water chamber, PVC tastes like crap.

QUOTE (kudomonster @ Aug 15 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (agentscot @ Aug 15 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heat really shouldn't be an issue. The problem i have is taste. I made an attachment for the hookah a while ago so that in the hose there's GASP another water chamber where the smoke filters again, then passes through ice. It worked great, but the problem was it tasted like PVC. It kept doing it for a whole week and we decided to scrap the extra water chamber, PVC tastes like crap.

Well, i have yet to use the hose but it hasn't tasted like PVC when I breathe air through it. I am gonna break it in tonight, but as a preliminary measure I'm going to give the PVC and the other plastic fittings a nice soak in lemon juice followed by a baking soda bath. I'll let you all know after tonight how well it works.

Used the new hose last night, and it worked brilliantly. There was no PVC taste to it at all, and the pull was incredible. You barely had to breathe in at all.
Oh yeah, I didn't exactly use PVC for the handle. It's actually CPVC. I don't know if that made a difference as to why it didn't taste bad, but who knows. All i know is that it's my new favorite hose.