Shiny Side Down!

this is a post i made in this topic a long time ago
[quote name='fineout' date='27 October 2008 - 03:07 AM' timestamp='1225069630' post='305874']
ok just got the definitive answer from my Manufacturing Processes book.
"Aluminum Foil for example, is pack rolled in two layers, so only the top and bottom outer layers have been in contact with the rolls. Note that, one side of the aluminum foil is matte, while the other side is shiny. The foil to foil side has a matte and satiny finish, but the foil to roll side is shiny and bright because it has been in contact under high contact stresses with the polished rolls during rolling."-pg 355 Manufacturing Engineering and Technology, 5th edition. Serope Kalpajian and Steven R schmidt.
[/quote]
the shiny/dull properties of tin foil would only change its diffusivity, meaning that radiant heat would be the only method of heat transfer which would be affected by this, and the only thing that would do anything with that would be you smoking outside in the sun, and even that would be negligable

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a lot of people simply put it shiny side down because that's how they were taught to do it. I fit in the same boat. Have tried it the other way round and found no difference at all, except that it isn't as aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.