I Just Built A Hookah...

tothinator

As long as the copper isn't hot, then no, you should be fine.

As for touching the water... thats fine. Think about it, a lot of plumbing is done with copper tubing and water comes through that all the time and you drink it so it's no more dangerous than drinking tap water. Edited by jordanneff

QUOTE (Ringo-chan @ Apr 22 2008, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would not smoke that hookah. It looks deadly

Eh, people are worried about copper pipes... but I wouldn't sweat it. I felt the tip of the pipe immediately after taking my bowl off after an hour and a half smoke and it was barely lukewarm. I can actually make it hotter by wrapping my hand around it for a couple minutes... I'm no chemist, but I'm not sure that the addition of zinc (and possibly a small amount of something else, depending on the type of brass) would make the copper in everyone's prized brass hookahs any safer. Brass being generally well over 50% copper...

Copper piping is what is used for hot water in houses and as such is definitely kept at around 100 degrees. To my knowledge this is only slightly lower than the smoking temperature of hookah. Considering it is just air going through hot, I have my doubts that tap water sitting at 100 degrees for hours in hot water can be better for you.

QUOTE (tothinator @ Apr 22 2008, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah....the copper does not even get warm after smoking...especially because i keep it in a fridge prior to use.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why the big issue with using copper???

I mean really... did anyone ever consider that copper is widely used in cooking utensils?!

Those things are heated always, when in use... And... There seems to be no problem with them...

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (dyzel @ Jun 4 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why the big issue with using copper???

I mean really... did anyone ever consider that copper is widely used in cooking utensils?!

Those things are heated always, when in use... And... There seems to be no problem with them...

you make a good point.. but then again we arent inhaling those gases are we? we're eating them, i guess its like soda. theres a difference between Co2 going into your stomach and into your lungs. I dno, as far as i am concerned, the copper doesnt get heated enough to produce the gases anyway

QUOTE (chsajid @ Jun 17 2008, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm, i would rather use rubber plastic, more safer. smile.gif

QUOTE (Dr. Atkins @ Jun 16 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Copper is way, way safer than plastic.

I'm pretty sure that no matter how you cut it, metal will be safer than plastic. As I understand it, the production of many plastics involves the use of phthalate esters to increase the malleability of the material. Plastics may leach these chemicals especially when heated, which represents a serious health hazard. Phthalates have been shown to cause health problems... I remember reading that DEHP (used to produce PVC) is linked to increased insulin resistance, or something like that. If anything, I imagine that ABS would be less harmful, as finely powdered ABS particles are used in tatoo ink... but then, it's still not being heated the same way it would in a hookah.

I'm not sure what other types of plastic tubing you can easily acquire; PVC and ABS are easy to get b/c they're used in piping a lot (but then, so is copper, so you may as well go with that...).

Personally, I don't even use plastic containers in the microwave.......

QUOTE (Dr. Atkins @ Jun 23 2008, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Side effects are rarely so benign as increased insulin resistance... neurotoxins and endocrine toxins are of larger concern, particularly towards the thyroid,

Indeed? Most of the conclusive research I've heard of are endocrine problems in the male reproductive system, if the mother had phthalates in her system while she was pregnant... haven't personally heard of any neurotoxins or thyroid damage, although I wouldn't be at all surprised. And as a precursor to Type-II, I don't think increased insulin resistance in any laughing matter, especially for those who have diabetes (but then maybe they shouldn't be smoking in the first place lol... and for that matter neither should the pregnant mom!)

either way... it all ads up to one thing--don't use plastic when you're smoking! x_x lol