Poorman's Charcoal Basket

mj_b90

After the bbq was finished...the grill had some hardwood lump charcoal sitting there, perfect size for hookah. Now how to get some of that charcoal down to the hookah without killing myself?

Here's what I used...I know other people do this different but I wanted something I could carry easily, set down without burning the carpet, and hold a fair bit of charcoal.

So, I took a small sauce pan. Put a large piece of foil over it, and pushed it about half way down into the pan. After wrapping the extra foil up around the outside of the pan you're left with a nice sized way to carry your charcoal. Since there's a cushion of air between the foil and the pan, the bottom won't get hot and you can set it down without worrying about it.

If anyone wants a pic I can post one up...but I think it's pretty straight forward.

Anyone else have a good way to do this?

Most of the metal colanders I've seen have thin legs that extend underneath the bowl. They're small enough to dissipate heat quickly and the airflow through the holes does the rest.

The coals can even be ashed by sifting, which keeps the coals intact(opposed to the traditional "dropping the coals into the ash tray" method).

I actually went to my local asian market and picked up a small clay pot (glazed) made for clay pot noodles. It works GREAT, and was only 5 bucks. If you're looking for a more permanent solution. It comes with a handle on the side and a lid so I can keep them from the wind. Just a thought

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Apr 19 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually went to my local asian market and picked up a small clay pot (glazed) made for clay pot noodles. It works GREAT, and was only 5 bucks. If you're looking for a more permanent solution. It comes with a handle on the side and a lid so I can keep them from the wind. Just a thought

clay is a bit dangerous when putting hot coals in, if it gets too hot it might crack/explode..

QUOTE (mathuv @ Apr 20 2008, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

clay is a bit dangerous when putting hot coals in, if it gets too hot it might crack/explode..

Even better, look at flea markets, tag sales for old cast iron fry pans. I found a small, half-round shaped one with "legs" on the bottom. $4 and perfect! Yeah for scavenging!

QUOTE (mathuv @ Apr 20 2008, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel where you're coming from, I apprecaite the info. Normally I wouldn't trust any old clay pot (especially after having a old school clay hookah bowl or two breaking on me after being heated.

The one reason I trust this is becasue it was made for clay pot noodles which are traditionally made to keep the chinese warm in the winter. So the pot is not only very thick it's also made to withstand tons of heat (they originally used fire) and it's glazed so the coals won't stain ir or antyhing it washes right off.

QUOTE (iron molly black @ Apr 20 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mathuv @ Apr 20 2008, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even better, look at flea markets, tag sales for old cast iron fry pans. I found a small, half-round shaped one with "legs" on the bottom. $4 and perfect! Yeah for scavenging!

I use these at home and at the lounge: