Advice On My Hookah Bought In India

jthorpe

My first post for the group! I bought an intricate and beautiful coconut shell hookah in India a few months ago and haven't used it yet. I don't know what I should do, since the "bowl" is the coconut shell and I don't know about its durability. Can I put water in there? Can I put wet cotton balls in there or something? HELP! I wanna use it! I'm posting some pics to give you an idea...
I can't remember what the Indian guy told me to do when I use it.

Josh

QUOTE (NoPeace @ Mar 7 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wait i dont get ur question. what are u having a problem with?

Well I should have been more clear... Sorry! smile.gif
because I cannot fill the shell with water it seems I'm going to have a very rough smoke. I want to mimic the water filtration process. I should say that the inside of the shell seems to be "sealed" with a hard tar like stuff. Should I place damp cotton pads in there? I'm flat stumped on finding a solution. Thanks for your help!

if its sealed with something then i think you should be fine. Have you tryed putting water in it and seeing what happens over time?

Coconuts keep milk in them, so I can't imagine it'll harm it. I mean, the meat is probably gone, but the shell probably has some natural sealant in it anyhow, I'm sure it's fine. They wouldn't sell many of them if they didn't work well.

I'm not sure if you can smoke the tobacco commonly used around here, at lease not very easily. Traditional hookah uses wet/moist dried tobacco leaves, nothing more (unlike ours, which is laced in sugars), so lord knows how our stuff will work in that...

What are you doing? How is the bowl designed and how are you loading it? Modern bowls fit onto the top of the hookah and bow outward, so that the bottom of the bowl has a ring of holes larger that the diameter of the stem.

That's a nice looking pipe. wink.gif

• 4 months later...
Yeah, it's a beautiful hookah!
Ok, to answer everybody's posts...

The stem is detachable (2 parts = stem, plus bowl on top).

Bowl is a typical bowl with little plate with holes on the bottom. see the pics attached.

I bought traditional hookah tobacco from a hookah shop; wet, moist leaves. I put charcoal in the bowl with tin foil over the top to "cup" the tobacco. When I smoked it, it seemed like I just couldn't get the smoke to travel far or in large quantities. I also used foil to try to seal any air gaps between the stem and the base and other places, but that didn't help either.

Advice? Thanks everyone.

QUOTE (jthorpe @ Aug 8 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bowl is a typical bowl with little plate with holes on the bottom. see the pics attached.

I bought traditional hookah tobacco from a hookah shop; wet, moist leaves. I put charcoal in the bowl with tin foil over the top to "cup" the tobacco. When I smoked it, it seemed like I just couldn't get the smoke to travel far or in large quantities. I also used foil to try to seal any air gaps between the stem and the base and other places, but that didn't help either.

Advice? Thanks everyone.

And yes, it's sealed inside with some sort of black, hard tar like substance (no tar smell though).

QUOTE (jthorpe @ Aug 8 2008, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jthorpe @ Aug 8 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Advice? Thanks everyone.

And yes, it's sealed inside with some sort of black, hard tar like substance (no tar smell though).

It is probably tree resin. It would be perfectly safe to pour water into it.
On the other hand this pipe may have been made for cerimonial and decorative purposes. .
But you should be able to seal gaps with teflon tape (plumbers tape) or even just try some bowl and hose gromets like you would use on any other pipe.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (jthorpe @ Aug 8 2008, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put charcoal in the bowl with tin foil over the top to "cup" the tobacco. When I smoked it, it seemed like I just couldn't get the smoke to travel far or in large quantities. I also used foil to try to seal any air gaps between the stem and the base and other places, but that didn't help either.

Wait so you put charcoal in the bowl, aluminum over the top of the bowl and then tobacco on top of the foil? Or is that just worded wrong?

water is ok to put in, but, once you put it in, MAKE SURE you leave water in at all times. if you take it out and it dries, it will shrink and crack. the same goes for leather hookah vases. other than that its safe to use, no problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (ALI @ Sep 4 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
water is ok to put in, but, once you put it in, MAKE SURE you leave water in at all times. if you take it out and it dries, it will shrink and crack. the same goes for leather hookah vases. other than that its safe to use, no problem at all.

They make leather hookah bases? That would be rad and all, but how would you set it down? Would you have to smoke while holding it? I'm picturing a wine bag with a stem coming out of it here.

QUOTE (digitalhifi @ Sep 26 2008, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ALI @ Sep 4 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They make leather hookah bases? That would be rad and all, but how would you set it down? Would you have to smoke while holding it? I'm picturing a wine bag with a stem coming out of it here.

I think he probably just means a base where the inside is lined with leather...