Omfg!

QUOTE (Seanij @ Feb 18 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NoPeace @ Feb 18 2008, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so let me do a run down of what ppl have told me.
pack lightly and to the top
make sure that you can blow through the bowl from the bottom (courtesy of grim)
aluminum foil, shiny side down stretch tight over
use ONE coal and break into 2 pieces ( i dont think its possible to break a 33mm into 4)
play on edges of bowls
let sit for 5 minutes before actually trying to hit so that it heats up
sit back and pray to god that there is flavor!!!

Why let it sit? :S
When you hit it heats it up because it draws heat.

i saw someone do that on a youtube video and it works really well. is there anything else that i can do to make it get flavor well???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NoPeace @ Feb 15 2008, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cypherkk @ Feb 16 2008, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like you are using way too much heat. It seems to be a common problem with beginners. They want big smoke hits right away, use too much heat, burn it or just taste the coals.

make sure when you light your coals, they are completely red. If its still black you may taste coals. as it burns the external layer of coal.

Most people who use 3kings use one piece, split it into 3-4 pieces spread equally around the bowl edge. as you smoke more and the coals get smaller move them towards the middle. The more heat you use themore likely you will get big smoke but small flavor. Heat also varies depending upon the brand.

I myself do not like round coals. managing heat seems more difficult, and theres a lot of coal flavor. I prefer square quicklights or naturals.

I don'[t like havana, kind of bland if you ask me. Layalina can be faint flavored too if you are used to a stronger flavored smoke. Try Fumari ( veryexpensive) or even better fusion or starbuzz (again expensive) but you get what you pay for. DOn't get me wrong I like and smoked layalina in fact they have my favorite plum and fig yum, but it is... mild and coals can easily overpower the flavor. Look up some topics on heat management. It is the most important part, and have a little patience, sometimes it may take a few minutes to get it smoking properly.

when i used a single one i got super thin smoke with absolutely no taste and at least with the 2 i got thick smoke. ive tried every packing technique out there. im using a social smoke medium bowl (their signature ones). truely there is no resolution. ppl are just fucking with me or something cause there is no way im doing something wrong.

It seems I'm in the minority here, but it works for me. Try using 1 square quicklite broken into 4 pieces, and use VERY LITTLE shisha. If you manage the heat right, you will use a minimal amount shisha. I use just enough shisha to cover the holes in the middle of the bowl, keeping it away from the outside of the bowl and far away from the foil too.

I've been smoking hookah for over 3 years now, but havent been on here in over a year. I have never had a problem at all. I have a social smoke hookah that I hate, and a mya acrylic-my first hookah that I love. The mya bowl is unfinished on the inside and took a little while to get seasoned, but now it tastes great. Try a MYA bowl with some Al Waha shisha. Double apple is my favorite with plenty of flavor. Also, peach is good, but it gives me a knock over buzz that I cant handle. Al Waha seems to be a great middle of the road shisha. Good on price, and good on flavor. Also, use natural coals, as they seem to give off very little flavor, and allow the shisha to stand out. Just get a small burner from the local walmart and put 2 small square coals on there until they are glowing red. Place them in the middle of the bowl, and let sit for 30 seconds then move to the edges of the bowl. As they burn and get smaller, move to the center. Thats what I do and it always works for me. Never a problem.. If you have any other problems, pm me and I will get the webcam on and show you.

hmm nopeace...i do not believe in letting the coals sit before hitting. i normally arrange them and start taking hits. i get full smoke on the 2nd or third pull. logic would say that letting the coals sit on the shisha for 5 minutes will be 5 minutes of continuous heat in the same spots without any dissipation. Pulling, however, will evenly heat the bowl. You could also use a wind cover to help this distribution.
Another thing you could do is go to the Nova meetup and have the guys teach you a thing or two. I told you the first time if you werent so far up in nova id help out but I dont like to venture towards dc unless im driving home.