Katrina

MR Bubble

Oh man, if you've been keeping up with the Katrina aftermath, you'll know about the violence and looting and all. Just got a phone call and found out they have moved a bunch of bus-loads of them in town to the fairgrounds (just down my street). Seems they've already did a couple carjackings at gun-point tonight. Real nice. So, here it is, after midnight, sitting here with a .44 next to me (cause I love my kids) and I need to be up by 4:00 am. Nice. I'm about to punch out and get some sleep. See ya.
MR Bubble

looking at terrible pictures on the news here in sweden - dont know if im saying this right but my deepest compassion to all of the people down there( hope you know what i wanna say)and i really hoping you and your family are allright -be careful and please keep intouch when things are ok for you again
Alen

[qoute]So, here it is, after midnight, sitting here with a .44 next to me.[/qoute]

Amen, brother. They have been coming into my area too... lucky these are mostly people that made it out before hand... and not the desperate criminal types.

The 12 gauge is behind the seat and the the AK-47 leans against the headboard. IF they get passed me.... they got my wife and her AR-15 to do business with next.
Hey... better to be well armed and not need it than otherwise.

Hope the best for you Mr. Bubble.
I can't help to think that liberal gun laws for years combined with the hawok that katrina left your communities in is a bad cocktail.
Not that I am not with you on protecting your self - best thing to do, and I would do the same, when the overall situation is as is. But its not cool that when society breaks down you have 10 heavily armed out-laws for every house-protector.

Hopefully Bush keeps to his promise and gets the desaster zone cleaned up soon.  This was the worst hurricane to hit that region in many years.  It's good to see that people are doing someting about it.

Thank you all for the kind words and agreements. I don't deserve all the "good lucks," as I am well where I am. The people down south along the coast deserve the luck, especially the ones in Mississippi. As far as the refuge camps are concerned, since I am in better shape today, I will not judge or condem. But, I'll tell you this: The past couple days, our aircraft (you know, the ones bringing in food and water, as well as a humble attempt to pull people out) have been fired on by these people. Seems that sometime around "0-dark-thirty" yesterday morning, a bunch of busses carrying prisoners from New Orleans drove through the gates of the post I was stationed before I retired. This is the same post I go to work on every morning before daybreak. Hmm. So, even though I feel better today, and am more level-headed, I will not put my bullets away.
Kofod, I agree with you. As someone who appreciates our freedom, and doesn't want to see any taken away, I can still sympathize with the side who wants to levy control on fire arms. If, someday, the order to turn in firearms is given (by a president who is good in the heart) I will not argue. Sometimes, we all must adapt to changes.
No, I do not waffle on issues. Instead, I have the ability and the moral obligation to look at both sides of an issue. Sometimes the other guy's shoes hurt worse than mine.
Be good,
MR Bubble

sorry about getting off topic but the gun control subject raised my hackles a bit.
take a look at the countries that have done a total ban on guns and see what their crime rate is. you ban guns then the only people who have guns are the criminals. would you go busting into a house if you knew their was a chance of getting you ass blown away?
 quote-But its not cool that when society breaks down you have 10 heavily armed out-laws for every house-protector.-end quote
i have to cry bullsh*t on this statement as well. if their were more honest citizens properly trained and armed the honest would far outnumber the dishonest.
this country was founded by armed citizens. we are the great country we are today because we took up arms against an unfair government.
now don't get me wrong i do not think they should give out arms at the liquor store. and i do think we need more regulations and better back round checks but the day they try to take my guns away is the day i sandbag my walls and give them a fight.

[quote name='brother812']take a look at the countries that have done a total ban on guns and see what their crime rate is. you ban guns then the only people who have guns are the criminals. would you go busting into a house if you knew their was a chance of getting you ass blown away?
 [/quote]
That is 100 % percent untrue. Crime rate and violence by guns are far higher in countries with liberal gun laws. Please do have your own oppinions, but you cannot have your own facts.
In Denmark we have hardly any guns and they dont circle amongst criminals in very big numbers. I don't think you would wanna compare crime rate in USA with Denmark or other weapon strickt countries - that is of course unless you ares still willing to have the facts your own way.
And yes there should be guns so that the good guys outnumber the bad guys. These guys are called police, army and persons under very strickt rules for how to administer their guns.
This is my oppinion and I emphasize that there is no right or wrong in this. Its about chosing what one wants for their society. In America you have chosen for shoot eachother up.

Gun Laws, Culture, Justice & Crime In Foreign Countries

Do other countries all have more restrictive gun laws and lower violent crime rates than the U.S.? How do U.S. and other countries` crime trends compare? What societal factors affect crime rates?

A recent report for Congress notes, "All countries have some form of firearms regulation, ranging from the very strictly regulated countries like Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and Sweden to the less stringently controlled uses in the jurisdictions of Mexico and Switzerland, where the right to bear arms continues as a part of the national heritage up to the present time." However, "From available statistics, among (the 27) countries surveyed, it is difficult to find a correlation between the existence of strict firearms regulations and a lower incidence of gun-related crimes. . . . (I)n Canada a dramatic increase in the percentage of handguns used in all homicides was reported during a period in which handguns were most strictly regulated. And in strictly regulated Germany, gun-related crime is much higher than in countries such as Switzerland and Israel, that have simpler and/or less restrictive legislation." (Library of Congress, "Firearms Regulations in Various Foreign Countries, May 1998.")
Many foreign countries have less restrictive firearms laws, and lower crime rates, than parts of the U.S. that have more restrictions. And many have low crime rates, despite having very different firearms laws. Switzerland and Japan "stand out as intriguing models. . . . (T)hey have crime rates that are among the lowest in the industrialized world, and yet they have diametrically opposite gun policies." (Nicholas D. Kristof, "One Nation Bars, The Other Requires," New York Times, 3/10/96.) Swiss citizens are issued fully-automatic rifles to keep at home for national defense purposes, yet "abuse of military weapons is rare." The Swiss own two million firearms, including handguns and semi-automatic rifles, they shoot about 60 million rounds of ammunition per year, and "the rate of violent gun abuse is low." (Stephen P. Halbrook, Target Switzerland; Library of Congress, pp. 183-184.) In Japan, rifles and handguns are prohibited; shotguns are very strictly regulated. Japan`s Olympic shooters have had to practice out of the country because of their country`s gun laws. Yet, crime has been rising for about the last 15 years and the number of shooting crimes more than doubled between 1997-1998. Organized crime is on the rise and 12 people were killed and 5,500 injured in a nerve gas attack in a Japanese subway system in 1995. (Kristof, "Family and Peer Pressure Help Keep Crime Levels down in Japan," New York Times, 5/14/95.) Mostly without firearms, Japan`s suicide rate is at a record high, about 90 per day. (Stephanie Strom, "In Japan, Mired in Recession, Suicides Soar," New York Times, p. 1, 7/15/99.)
U.S. crime trends have been better than those in countries with restrictive firearms laws. Since 1991, with what HCI calls "weak gun laws" (Sarah Brady, "Our Country`s Claim to Shame," 5/5/97), the number of privately owned firearms has risen by perhaps 50 million. Americans bought 37 million new firearms in the 1993-1999 time frame alone. (BATF, Crime Gun Trace Reports, 1999, National Report, 11/00.) Meanwhile, America`s violent crime rate has decreased every year and is now at a 23- year low (FBI). In addition to Japan, other restrictive countries have experienced increases in crime:
England -- Licenses have been required for rifles and handguns since 1920, and for shotguns since 1967. A decade ago semi-automatic and pump-action center-fire rifles, and all handguns except single- shot .22s, were prohibited. The .22s were banned in 1997. Shotguns must be registered and semi-automatic shotguns that can hold more than two shells must be licensed. Despite a near ban on private ownership of firearms, "English crime rates as measured in both victim surveys and police statistics have all risen since 1981. . . . In 1995 the English robbery rate was 1.4 times higher than America`s. . . . the English assault rate was more than double America`s." All told, "Whether measured by surveys of crime victims or by police statistics, serious crime rates are not generally higher in the United States than England." (Bureau of Justice Statistics, "Crime and Justice in the United States and in England and in Wales, 1981-1996," 10/98.) An English doctor is suspected of murdering more than 200 people, many times the number killed in the gun-related crimes used to justify the most recent restrictions.
"A June 2000 CBS News report proclaimed Great Britain `one of the most violent urban societies in the Western world.` Declared Dan Rather: `This summer, thousands of Americans will travel to Britain expecting a civilized island free from crime and ugliness. . . (But now) the U.K. has a crime problem . . . worse than ours.`" (David Kopel, Paul Gallant, and Joanne Eisen, "Britain: From Bad to Worse," America`s First Freedom, 3/01, p. 26.) Street crime increased 47% between 1999 and 2000 (John Steele, "Crime on streets of London doubles," London Daily Telegraph, Feb. 29, 2000.) See also www.2ndlawlib.org/journals/okslip.html, www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment071800c.html, and [url="http://www.nraila.org/research/19990716-BillofRightsCivilRights-030.html"] www.nraila.org/research/19990716-BillofRightsCivilRights-030 .html
this was taken directly from this page [url="http://www.nraila.org//issues/factsheets/read.aspx?id=78"]http://www.nraila.org//issues/factsheets/r...read.aspx?id=78[/url][/url]
Kofod i find it very insulting that someone who lives on the other side of the world is chiming in on how America should be governed. i know very little about Denmark other than what i learned in history class many years ago and what i have read on the net in the last few hours. with my limited knowledge on your country i am not going to presume to know what is best for your country.
one thing i did find though was the total crime per capita of countries around the world let me list the top 10 for you.

[color="#003399"]Dominica
113.82 per 1000 people
[img]http://images.nationmaster.com/images/0.gif[/img]

New Zealand
105.86 per 1000 people
[img]http://images.nationmaster.com/images/1.gif[/img]

Finland
101.51 per 1000 people

Denmark
92.82 per 1000 people

Chile
88.22 per 1000 people

United Kingdom
85.55 per 1000 people

Montserrat
80.39 per 1000 people

United States
80.06 per 1000 people

Netherlands
79.57 per 1000 people

South Africa[/color]
77.18 per 1000 people

graph taken from [url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_tot_cri_cap%5b/url"]]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_to...t_cri_cap[/url]://http://www.nraila.org//issues/facts.....t_cri_cap
their my friend are the facts you were asking for.

I cannot say anything than you have found sources to suit your needs. Reality is a state of mind. I am not going to go further in to this as the discussion will not be carried on from my side. But note that we are talking about the effects of guns and not crime in general - look in to your statistics and se that this is where USA takes the lead (as well as violence crimes in generel).
If you think that your material suits what is true in your head so be it. I am not supriced that a congress report could show what is presented here - that is a political report.
I don't care if you find your self insulted - I don't chime anything - I have an oppinion which I am entitled to.
EOD

yes you do have the right to you opinion i never said you didn't but when you come on a forum and make inflammatory remarks about a country you are not a citizen of you better expect someone to take offense.
yes i did find stats to suite my needs most people debating a point will find stats that suit their needs but that does not change the facts in those stats.
[b]Source:[/b] Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)
that is the source of the bar graph above. now your saying the UN , something Denmark is part of,  is going to fudge the numbers on their reports?.....yea your right reality is a state of mind......
one thing i will agree with you on is yes the USA does have a higher rate of violent crime and i guess in your reality that is the only crime that matters. but in the real world every crime effects a population. apparently your vision of the USA comes from movies like boyz in da hood and the die hard trilogy but in reality in all my travels in 45 of our grate states i have yet to see one good gun fight or even a single shot fired in anger at someone. in fact if they took oh lets say 3 city's (NYC,LA and DC) and omitted from the stats their crimes, USA's crime rate would probably be cut in half. oh and yes the 3 city's with the highest crime rates do have the most strict gun regulations in the USA............

I have not made inflamatory remarks about your country - I have pointed out that in a situation like this it is a problem with the huge number of guns as well as is under normal conditions with negative effects of guns and gun related crimes.
A couple of weeks ago all of the south eastern Europe was under water - as it tends to be every year from overfloding rivers. Every year you hear and se on TV that x amount of soldiers have been comandeered out - to stable sandbacks. Some time ago a tsumani devistated several countries (in a scale that makes everything else look tiny) - soldiers where send out to clear out and recover 100.000's of bodies. Now these days you se 4000 soldiers comandeered out, in this case with rifles in their hands with the task of keeping people from ruining eachothers lives even more.
Inflamatory or not - it gotta make you think some thoughts on how this comes to be like this.
My point about reality is a state of mind had ofspring in the fact that you have not handled your sources in an intelligent way - yes they are from the UN and yes they are in some sence "true" but they show another truth than you would want them to. If you look down in the numbers you find that US leads in violent and gun related crimes. Going even further in to the numbers you will find that "crime" is registered very different in each country and hence the numbers are not to be compared (you did'nt care to look into that when the supposed reality was to your liking?). Registered crime in the US figure is ONLY violent crimes - numbers from Denmark are all crimes with personal victims - burglaries, car theft etc. And even the violent crimes have to be major to enter in the US numbers no minor assault, intimidations or threats are inlcuded in the numbers that the US have send to UN to be compared with figures from the rest of the world.
Furthermore even though these numbers are like comparing apples and bananas a congress report have used them totally uncritical in order to show some pseudoscienticifal result. Congress reports are not to be taken as academic productions but as political essays.
A really rich statement in the same ball league - so far out that it haven't even found its way into congress - is the comparison between total murders in Europe and USA. And it usually goes something like "Europe has averaged about 400,000 murders per year. That murder rate is about 16 times higher than the murder rate in the U.S" when presented to show the "reality". Going into the numbers (when sources are provided) on the other hand will show that these numbers are for a 70 year period and that of cause a world war and the genozide of 6 million jews will have some effect on the numbers. But for those who wants the reality in that way, the figures will show that the people living in Europe will have 16 times more likelyhood of being murdered than them selfes.
Instead of loking into statistics that can not be compared and often are used by people in need of a biassed statement you can use your own common sense. What impression do you have - does "the peacefull, safe and rid of ill gun effects USA" seem like something you would hear people say or is it a reasonable statement? Would it seem likely that the thousands of tourists entering danish harbours in cruiseships come for the ease you can move around with that requires no care of what so ever in the terms of thinking about your own safety. Honestly the typical US reaction on coming to Denmark and Europe is utter amazement - I experienced this from working in contact with the tourism industry and from knowing lots of co-students/(US)exchance students at my campus. That is also a side of reality (but of course not all).
Wether you like to lean towards on or another point of view i like to judge from what reality that takes form for me personally in my own life. In that situation I am glad that I live in a dorm where the hall does not have to be locked and strangers can go right in the kitchen, room doors are only locked at night to keep partymonkeys from trying to get you along  - I have never in my civilian life feared for my safety and never looked at my issued gun as an artifact for personal safety - I live in a country where the typical "armed" bank robbery is comitted with a breadknife (often by desperate junky's that can not get hold of a gun, unlike normal stable people if they should wish so).
It was the same "look at your own situation" I was thinking of for Mr Bubble - a kinda like "Is'nt sad that all these bad guys are out there having guns". In that side of reality of more stringent and intelligent gun control system would have meant relatively more Mr. Bubbles with a gun and less rampage with guns. Maybe even a situation where Mr. Bubbles did'nt even take his gun out.
I have not said a wanted to ban guns or that Mr Bubble or you did'nt have a gun in "my world" and you have your self said that more gun control would be to your liking - so I really dont think we are differing really.

A little more back on topic I guess...
This is completely unbelievable.  I'm fairly conservative and have more or less supported bush until now.  Now i'm inclined to think that his entire administration has been an utter failure.
All he really had going for him was the belief that he could respond well to emergencies and the vague notion that he had made the country a safer place.  And america is being painfully disillusioned. 
It's just too much to wrap your mind around.
Mr. Bubble, how are things going on your end?  Lakemonster?
Oh yeah, and don't forget to donate ([url="http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html"]http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html[/url])

Things on my end?
Well........... I live in East Texas.... my population has increased and will increase by 7.5% at least....... all homeless.. and jobless...
The sad thing is that there are people sucking off the "kindness" factor.
I'm afraid that the community has an element of doubt and distrust.
Things are bad folks..... and some people dont want help as much as they want to "help themselves".

• 1 month later...
Wow fellas. It has been some time since I've been on this corner of the forum. I'm almost sorry I got the issue of "gun control" started. Well, it is kinda fun to see you guys scrap a little.  So long as you make nice with each other after.
Gee about gun control. I don't like stats. Look, after twenty years of being in the military, I can't stomach stats of anything anymore. I go by the "real world" experience. Stats can come from any scenario, and may not reflect much more than what the number "transmitter" wants someone else to see. Politics and all... Take Denver. I lived there for 8 years. My brother was an EMT on an ambulance service in our town for maybe 2 or 3 years. There are a lot of shootings there. Then he discovered there were even more than he previously knew about when he started his tours in the ER's of a couple hospitals. He finally got out of the sewer of a town in lives in a nice quiet place in central Arkansas. I lived in Kansas City for a while too. A rather nice neighborhood until dark. Yep. Guns. Even here in my current town in the southern portion of the bible-belt, there has been some nut popping off rounds in the evenings. One went through some old lady's window, barely missing her.
I lived in Germany for 9 years. Three of those years was in a pretty good sized city (Nurnberg), with factories and all (Siemens, Faber Castle, Phillips, and a few lesser known names) How many times had I heard a gun go off (outside of military firing ranges) there? ZERO. Most of the fights I had seen come from drunk G.I's. Usually any violent action is dealt by a fist. There was the soldier in Hohenfels who pulled a knife on a girl. Americans usually come away from a tour in Europe with the common phrase: "It is so clean over there with very little crime, I just couldn't believe it." I used to walk the streets of Nurnberg at 2:00 AM with nothing more than a drunk laying in the gutter wanting a handout and cigarette. I remember seeing mother and daughter walking around, window shopping at 9:00 PM. The younger kids were everywhere just talking and having a good time. That was in the so-called "bad part of town"- Furth. People talk about how bad it is in Amsterdam. I walked across that town several times-drunk AND sober and encountered nothing more than, "Hey, you smoke?" Frankfurt was a little more "Edgy." The hookers actually went out looking for you.
Is there gun play over there? Absolutely. You read about it in the papers (after several days of trying to decipher it) and it usually has to do with a professional crime organization (mafia? In the 70's and 80's the red army faction which were just terrorists) Any shots being fired in the neighborhood? Nope.
Now, back to what I had posted earlier. I'm not saying our right to bear arms should be taken away. I truly think there should be more regulations in place. There are just too many dip-sh!ts getting them and popping off shots at passing cars and UH-1 Hueys, with a red cross on the nose that are trying to rescue them from roof tops. What measures are to be taken, and how to enforce them? Well, pay me a 6 figure income like some of our so-called "representatives" and I may figure out a way that makes everyone happy, well except the dip-sh!ts.
I know this: When a society, like ours, idolizes the "bad guy" on TV, has a constant fascination with guns, endures countless movies of someone always reaching for the gun in the night stand at every noise, most conversations among men and women have a moment of talking about how they'll "just grab the gun," and common phrases include "going postal, and lock-n-load," no wonder some people think we need to think of something pretty quick.
No, I don't want my gun to go bye-bye. I love shooting. I used to reload (by hand) 200 rounds every friday and Saturday night and go nuts on Sunday. I have never fired less than an "Expert" qualification on any firearm I was assigned in the military. That even includes hand grenades (yea, what a joke) However, I'm prepared to stop and listen to the "other side" with genuine concern and understanding, and give their concerns the credit they deserve too. I love people, just so long as they aren't a dip-sh!t, brandishing their "piece" on the lawn. Too bad we have so many of them around.
M Bubble

[quote name='MR Bubble']I know this: When a society, like ours, idolizes the "bad guy" on TV, has a constant fascination with guns, endures countless movies of someone always reaching for the gun in the night stand at every noise, most conversations among men and women have a moment of talking about how they'll "just grab the gun," and common phrases include "going postal, and lock-n-load," no wonder some people think we need to think of something pretty quick.  
M Bubble[/quote]
yea yea everyone wants to blame the problems on TV shows, movies or video games but that is bullsh*t too. i grew up playing those games watching those movies and shows myself but the one thing i had that the trouble makers didn't is parents that brought me up right. if i screwed up i got my ass beat or disciplined in a way that made me think twice about doing what i did again.
lets get real if we want to fix the problems lets start charging the parents of any minor who commits a crime with the crime their kids commit. that would force parents to either start being parents or think twice about bringing kids into the world they are not going to pay attention too.
but back to the gun control topic. yea Mr. B i agree we do need regulations. i guess what really bothered me was Kofod, being from Denmark, stating his opinions on what was wrong with the United States. would be like me talking trash about Denmark. i can read all about Denmark on the net and probably learn more about it's history and current affairs than most of the people their but that still does not give me the right to tell the people who live their how their country should be run.
Mr. B you say about how nice it is in Germany. i have to agree i visited their myself and it is a beautiful country but like in the United States their are places in the bigger cities you just don't go after dark. but it really isn't fair to compare the 2 country's unless you use the PER CAPITA crime rate and Germany was number 11 on that graph in my other post. sorry about mentioning stats but to debate a point real stats are going to prove a point faster than anything.
you mention Denver, well i lived their myself 2 years and being a country boy at heart it is one of the few cities i would choose to live in. i am a Union Electrician and i have lived or worked in more cities than most people see in their lives and like i said as long as you stay out of the places you shouldn't be(white hill billy walking down the sidewalk in Compton at 11pm is a bad thing) chances are you will never have a problem.

You are absolutely correct about the parent's lack of responsibility. In fact, that is a wonderful suggestion about charging them for the crime their bratt commits.
Stats, stats, stats. So many stats out there and I for one have seen more stats than most beople can stomach. So, we'll just do stats then. In order to save space here on the forum, lets take a closer look at that web site and stats. First, lets ask ourselve's what are we talking about here: Violent crimes, crimes commited with firearms. Or better yet, let's use our imagination and try to pick a few crimes from the list where it would be logical to use a gun, or any other potentially deadly weapon: Instead of the actual bar graph, I'll post the links to that graph.
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_ass"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_ass
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_ass_cap"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_as...h-T/cri_ass_cap[/url]://http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T...cri_ass_cap[/url]://http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T...cri_ass_cap
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_dru_off"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_dru_off[/url]
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur[/url]
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap[/url]
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_wit_fir"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_wit_fir[/url]
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_wit_fir_cap"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mu...mur_wit_fir_cap[/url]
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_rap"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_rap[/url]
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_rap_cap"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_rap_cap[/url]
Whoa, why is a country like Germany so far at the top of the list on overall crime? Here's why:
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_fra"]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_fra[/url]
[url="http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_fra_cap%5b/url"]]http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_fra_cap[/url]://http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T...cri_fra_cap

Fraud. Give me a break. See how stats can be used for specific purposes? That's why I don't like them. If they had stats for "regular parking violations," I imagine they would be high on the list too. We know the carnage that parking violations and fraud can lead to.
But please, don't confuse me with a whining, Saab driving, Birkenstock wearing, yogurt-eating with wheat germ sprinkled on top, anti-tuna, peta activist. I think we ought to give them an unguided tour of Columbia, while wearing a DEA shirt.
I'm just someone fed up with stats.
MR Bubble