Writers Strike

Elky

I've been looking through this section and I was surprised to find that there are no comments on the writers strike that has been in the news lately. I was wondering what you guys think of this.
I've seen both sides of unions, the good and the bad (unfortunatly more bad than good around here), and in this case I'm siding with the writers. I think their requests are reasonable and that the networks are being genuine blockheads.
So lets hear it, what do you think?

Definitely siding with the writers.
I have no idea why this has to go on for so long.
The TV execs are greedy bastards that have more money than god and they don't want to give up a tiny fraction for the most important people in showbiz.

If you know not of the details of the writer's strike
then this incredibly biased video should give you an idea.

Video

There are arguments on both sides.

When cable came out, WGA and SAG gave away TV royalties because they thought they weren't worth much. They were proven wrong, and the studios made money.

When VCRs came out, WGA and SAG gave away video royalties because they thought they weren't worth much. They were proven wrong, and the studios made money.

When internet broadcasting first began, WGA and SAG gave away internet royalties because they thought they weren't worth much. They were proven wrong, and the studios made money.

Should the studios make all the money? Again, arguments on both sides. They do risk millions per production. And most professions don't pay you over and over once you produce a work as part of a collaborative effort. Then again, the productions wouldn't be possible without the above-the-line talent. But the unions lacked the vision to embrace new media, and only after the markets are proven do they want to jump in and get a piece of the action.

Yes the WGA did settle for very little for these mediums but that was because no one knew that they would become popular and the writers, unlike other groups, weren't greedy and didn't ask for tons of money. They have dealt with the consequences for their misactions however and 2 decades later it seems it's time to cut a new deal. Additionaly, I was under the impression (and correct me if I'm wrong) that when the last deal was made no one would have known that the internet would be common as a household technology, much less that it would be able to show streaming TV shows.

I did hear a rumour that "Lost" would not be affected, as they don't use union writers. Apparently, The scripts are edited from the typewriter output of 100 drunken monkeys...

Explains a lot! Edited by Sariél

QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Nov 25 2007, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do like south park, but it hasn't been entertaining me like Family Guy has. South Park is much moire random though, and i love that. smile.gif

it`s the other way around. south park has an actual plot, family guy is the show with random gags involving gary coleman or some cheesy 80`s sitcom.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Nov 25 2007, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Nov 24 2007, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahahahahahah Hollywood.

The last person I think I will feel sorry for is a Hollywood writer!

What about a Gay Liberal Muslim?

Gaia what the hell are you on? Keep things on topic please. Consider this a friendly warning.

JD