Had An Idea...

lemmiwinks

edit: In retrospect, this would have made more sense in the general discussion forum, mods if you could please move it that'd be awesome

I spose this wouldn't technically be a hookah cause it'd have a different design, but anyway. (edit: the second part would be)

So you have part of a straight up hookah setup, like the stem, bowl, etc, and use a huge chamber like one of those 5 gallon water jugs. Then instead of having a normal chamber, attach a really long hose (home depot style) directly to the bottom of the stem, have it wind around the jug and have an end coming out of a hole near the top.

Then fill the jug with a ton of ice and water, and as the smoke makes its way through the hose (which would probably take a while with a good size hose) it is being cooled the whole time. It would take a while to start, i.e. get the initial smoke to get through the tube, but then in between hits all the smoke is just sitting in the tubing getting really cool. Also, you could add more ice or stir up the water at any time if you just made the hole with the end of the hose coming out big enough.

Yeah, I know, the smoke doesn't actually go through water so it would have more toxins and whatnot and you wouldn't be able to flavorize it more...

However, if you really cared about that a lot, you could have a hookah chamber type of thing, where you put the liquid in and the end of the hose coming from the jug is partially in the water ot whatever liquid you want to use (with another hose coming out of the chamber... i.e. exactly like a hookah). I guess it'd basically just be a hookah that takes a long time to start with a giant, ultracooling stem. But yeah. I just now thought of this, but it seems like it would work if someone wanted really cool smoke bad enough to make it. It'd be interesting anyway.

So yeah. Just thought I'd share. Thoughts? Opinions? Edited by lemmiwinks

QUOTE (lemmiwinks @ Nov 6 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
edit: In retrospect, this would have made more sense in the general discussion forum, mods if you could please move it that'd be awesome

I spose this wouldn't technically be a hookah cause it'd have a different design, but anyway. (edit: the second part would be)

So you have part of a straight up hookah setup, like the stem, bowl, etc, and use a huge chamber like one of those 5 gallon water jugs. Then instead of having a normal chamber, attach a really long hose (home depot style) directly to the bottom of the stem, have it wind around the jug and have an end coming out of a hole near the top.

Then fill the jug with a ton of ice and water, and as the smoke makes its way through the hose (which would probably take a while with a good size hose) it is being cooled the whole time. It would take a while to start, i.e. get the initial smoke to get through the tube, but then in between hits all the smoke is just sitting in the tubing getting really cool. Also, you could add more ice or stir up the water at any time if you just made the hole with the end of the hose coming out big enough.

Yeah, I know, the smoke doesn't actually go through water so it would have more toxins and whatnot and you wouldn't be able to flavorize it more...

However, if you really cared about that a lot, you could have a hookah chamber type of thing, where you put the liquid in and the end of the hose coming from the jug is partially in the water ot whatever liquid you want to use (with another hose coming out of the chamber... i.e. exactly like a hookah). I guess it'd basically just be a hookah that takes a long time to start with a giant, ultracooling stem. But yeah. I just now thought of this, but it seems like it would work if someone wanted really cool smoke bad enough to make it. It'd be interesting anyway.

So yeah. Just thought I'd share. Thoughts? Opinions?

A hookah without the smoke passing through water sounds weird. I have no idea how much different it would tast. Seems easy enough to test out, why dont you?. You can also just not go as big as it sounds you want to go. I would use a smaller pass a copper tubing ohmy.gif . if you go to the hardware store usually they have fit in packs, and its coilled up just like you would want it. Then just sit it in a bucket and pour some saltwater, and ice on top and see how it goes.

I have tried that to some degree with a 3 foot glass tube I had laying around and a mini-stem. I had it run through about 4 in. or water when it got to the top, and the glass was about 50% full of ice. I never really got it going, though, because I had so many issues with the hose crimping up. I eventually ended up just using it as a hookah with a HUGE chamber for smoke. Smoked really harsh, but looked the shit. I broke the vase though, and glass vases that tall are pricey, so I never replaced it.