What Should We Do If We Don't Like You Drinking? We'll Tax You Even Further For Morality!

At the same time, I'd bet the number of people going to the hospital for alcohol poisoning vastly outnumbers the people who consume way too much caffeine. Not to mention people starting fights while jacked up on caffeine, doing things they regret while on caffeine, being so intoxicated on caffeine that they can't function, etc... I'm not saying caffeine isn't bad, but it isn't as much of a social problem as alcohol is.

Back on topic, In my experience, police will not bother underage drinkers as long as they are responsible. Just last Saturday, three days ago, I was drunk and walking home from a party (yes, I am underage). I stopped to try to tie my shoe, and an officer approached me. He asked me where I lived, and if I was able to make it there. I told him I was okay, and he told me that if I stumbled and fell, he would have to ask me how old I am (meaning he would try to give me an MIP). I walked away, and that was that.
Having the drinking age set at 21 is like a training session for younger drinkers, don't do stupid shit, and you won't get in trouble.

I'll agree with this tax as soon as they start taxing Big Mac's, Mac and Cheese, and anything else that is bad for you. Until then, I am going to stick with the idea that people should be free to choose what they do and do not consume without government interference.

QUOTE (Blue Midnight @ Sep 2 2007, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll agree with this tax as soon as they start taxing Big Mac's, Mac and Cheese, and anything else that is bad for you. Until then, I am going to stick with the idea that people should be free to choose what they do and do not consume without government interference.

Agreeing on any unnecessary tax is stupid. Think about it from a tobacco perspective. Just because you don't do something, doesn't make it ok to tax. This is how most non-smokers feel about tobacco. If you don't eat fast food, good for you. If you don't care if it is taxed because you don't eat it, then you're waiting for a tax to be burdened on you from someone who doesn't do whatever you might like to do. I wholeheartedly agree with your statement of "without government interference."