Homemade External Ice Chamber

ahwahoo2006

For those of you who want super-cold smoke...

I got bored one day and made an external ice chamber using a gallon plastic jug, some vinyl tubing, and epoxy and teflon tape for seals. The draw barely harder than just the hookah and the smoke is super cold and smooth - you can really taste the flavors.

I have since upgraded "Baby Green" to a new Mya QT

My BF asked me about something like this the other day - i showed him your jar and he wants to try one of his own. My biggest issue - getting the plain hose on the valve on the stem. How'd you do yours?

My biggest issue - getting the plain hose on the valve on the stem. How'd you do yours?

I had an extra grommet (what you would put on your regular hose to keep it in the valve stem) that I glued to the plain hose to make it airtight. Feel free to PM me if you need more details.

• 2 weeks later...
My buddy made an Ice Chamber too.. nothing as elaborate as the previous posted but it worked pretty well. He used a Mountain Dew bottle, cut a hole through the bottom, put the hose through and filled it with ice. It was cool for about 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
What I have done with a friend is take the hose coming out of this one piper and taped on the second one piper hookah where the bowl usually sits and then taken hits out of the second hookahs hose.

so the second hookah was used as a second filtration and cooling!

was slightly cooler put was Kak smoke and harder pull!

-H&S

you realy do not need to do all that work. all you need is a bucket, and some tubing. find some plastic tubing that will fit into the female end of your hookah. coil it up into the bucket with enough slack to plug it in on one side, and use the other side as a regular hose. now, fill the bucket with water, add salt if you want, and put it in a freezer. it hardly changes the air flow, all you have to remember is that you need to pull longer for the first draw. lasts for hours, and if you want to refresh it, just get some ice and pack the hose back in.

the froze hose

QUOTE (blueyesopn @ Jul 24 2007, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you realy do not need to do all that work. all you need is a bucket, and some tubing. find some plastic tubing that will fit into the female end of your hookah. coil it up into the bucket with enough slack to plug it in on one side, and use the other side as a regular hose. now, fill the bucket with water, add salt if you want, and put it in a freezer. it hardly changes the air flow, all you have to remember is that you need to pull longer for the first draw. lasts for hours, and if you want to refresh it, just get some ice and pack the hose back in.

the froze hose

Thanks I am gonna give it a go on the weekend!!!!

-H&S

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
First and foremost, great idea. I did this myself and found that the vinyl tube going into the ice chamber would move around and pull up on the glue (I used a plastic vinyl cement), resulting in air-leakage. so in lieu of use slabbing some epoxy on it, I changed the mounting of the hose in the ice chanber a bit.

I carved the hole, and placed a straight 1/2" diameter X about 4" long pvc plastic connector in it.

With half exposed on top and below the lid. Then I fitted it with two rubber washers, one on each end, holding it to the lid snugly.

I then slid the top part of the hose on to the top of the pvc connector (which fit tightly) and then clamped it down with a metal hose clamp.

Similar to the top, I placed the shorter lenth of tube (which would be inside the chamber) on the other end of the pvc connector and fastened it with a hose clamp as well.

the result was a super clean, super air tight seal without the use of unattractive adhesive. Yes it was a lot of extra unneccessary work, but the asthetics made it all worth while.

as for the port for the hose, I had two inverted grommets glued to the lid, which I would plug the hookah hose onto, however I recently changed that to simply gluing a thick rubber washer to the port hole which fits snugly on the hose and is durable. I also took the liberty of spray painting the lid t
o match the hookah and also give a much cleaner look.

A final note being that i used a hot nail to prefera
te the last inch of the vinyl tube in the chamber to act as a diffuser. i tried hitting it before doing this and the ice chamber rattled like a carburetor on a chevy pick up. Post-diffuser hits kept the chamber completly stationairy.