New Samples

Howdy gang, and a big "Bless your gizzard" goes out to mushrat for hooking me up with a couple samples. I received a package with Sara 2 apples, and a 50 gram box of Nakhla Mango. I'm very courious about the Mango, as I've never had it before. However (there's always some kind of but) I probably won't be doing them tonight as I've had the crud again (I'm 39 with two small children ages 3 and 5. Those virus carriers are almost deadly for me) and my sinuses are a wreck again, if any of you can remember what I went through back in December. Poor Flight Surgeon was litterally throwing any pill my way to shut me up. Because of this, my taster is out of order again and I'd sure hate to waste the wonderful offerings mushrat sent my way. So, until then, I'll smoke down my current stock, just waiting to taste right again. Trust me, when I get to tasting it the way I normally do (Like a barbarian) I'll be reviewing these flavors.
Until then, Just Smoke It!!
MR Bubble

Personally I hate mango. But, I also hate mangos. I think they taste
like pine needles. There weren't any problems with the smoke though so
if you like the flavor it should be an enjoyable smoke.

Mmmm, mango....  Turned on many a friend (and me mum!) to mangos via lassis.

I also mention this occasionally, but I love
Romann Mango.  Looooooong smoke (like 1.5-2 h!) and it tastes just
like a fresh, ripe mango should.  None of that fibrous,
not-quite-sweet-yet mango...

Anyone else with me on this one?  Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

E.G.

Okay gang, I'm feeling better now and it is the perfect opportunity to put these samples sent by Mushrat to the test. Let me tell you: It was a tough decision on what would be smoked first, but the Sara 2 apples prevailed and it is getting my full undivided attention right now. So, lets get on with it!
It was sent to me in bundled up snug in a large patch of what appeared to be Saran wrap, then sealed in a zip-loc bag. Great job Mushrat. I had a tough time telling the difference between the Sara's smell and that of other brand's xx apples, but it finally hit me: I detected just a tad bit of a "sour" smell to it. The cut is slightly finer than Nakhla and Al Waha, and about twice as wet as The Nakhla, and only slightly wetter than boxed Al Waha.
Firing it up, I was a little amazed at the difference in it. Instead of the classic sweetness other xx-apples have before they kick in, this had only a slight sweet flavor, but a hint of something savory about it. I could almost taste a pinch of salt! Wow! In no time, I started getting the touch of sweet, with the classic liccorice intertwined. But look out: the liccorice is much more pronounced than any other xx apple I've had. Also, the lung blasting touch of mint is almost non-existent in this brew. Al Waha, pay attention! Now to the weird quality. The sweetness it does have is more of a "tart" kind. It slightly borders on sweet-bitter. Or bitter-sweet. Trick or treat, smell my feet..... A wonderful, light bitter-sweet apple flavor in the back ground with a savory kind of liccorice. Making any sense? Tough... Try some and you may understand the mind of Bubble. So, since we've just played around with words for a while, let's try the emoticon ratings (if I can remember the points to mark off):
Flavor- I like it! Most of you know what my standard "go to" double apple is. This is not a replacement for the violent "kick in the lungs" punch of that, but a wonderful alternative. I like liccorice things and I consider this an apple flavored liccorice smoke. I LOVE IT! I love the wonderful tart apple flavor playing around in the background. How cool!
Smoke Density: Oh yeah baby! Wonderful, thick clouds of smoke. Really surprised at the "silkiness" of the thick smoke. However, about 20 or 15 minutes into the smoke, the thickness does go a little thin. But still, very entertaining.
Buzz Factor:- Oh dude.... I'm not as think as you drunk I are. Hugh? Nakhla got competition in this area. I'm still trying to decide if it's a tight, controlled buzz, or a sloppy buzz. I like em both. But it is a buzz that is a good buzz that I like. Yesss. I haven't had this much fun since I smoked Nakhla apple through a vase of ouzo. Which gives me a finest kind of idea for this.
Nose-hittability: It will do. About a 2 carpet tack rating. Weak, but it gives another side to the flavor. I get a wonderful smell of apple while getting a lungfull of a great smoke.
General feeling of wellness: I'll let you know in the morning. I've decided it's a sloppy buzz.
Final thought: Awesome smoke! Like I said before, it is a mildly bitter-sweet apple with a load of savory liccorice mixed in. For a standard double apple, not the best balance. But, for something different with an apple-ish side, you just can't beat the uniqueness of this. As I ponder this, I think I know what the hang-up is: Most of us adore a double apple, just for the sheer whallop of the loccorice and touch of mint. I guess we're like daredevils in this sense. This mix is a little different on the xx apple subject. I don't really consider this a true double apple because it lacks that violent kick. Instead it offers a more flavorful, but milder liccorice and a different take on apple. For a lover of quality liccorice, you need this in your collection. For a lover of apple who also likes liccorice, you need this in your collection. For a double apple fetishist, you need this in your collection. Others will consider this a great double apple. I consider this a not-so-great double apple, but a totally great flavor that sits on the fence between to wonderful flavors. I now have a new brand's flavor to worship!
MR Bubble

I'm speechless...
I got it at a local greek/lebanese cafe here in town. Its $9 a 200g tub and they make a mixed fruit I havent tried.
That makes 2 thumbs up from cypress and mr bubble...anyone else care to try?

Speechless? Why speechless? You knew that was good stuff before you sent it to me!
Now mixed fruit... Hmm. That's like puting your life into someone else's hands there. There aren't many good examples of mixed fruit out there.
MR Bubble

Yo! 'Sup? I'm already getting a buzz on with tonight's review Mushrat sent me. Tonight I offer up some Nakhla Fakhfahina Mango. This is another "wow" one. Not that it is one everyone should try, but the ones who really have a thrill issue. I like this one too.
Standard Nakhla cut, but the soup bones (stems) seem to be cut smaller than normal. Unfortunately, this makes it harder to pick through. So, because I like to keep things simple, I just threw it all in the bowl. This is just a little wetter than standard boxed Nakhla. Licking my fingers was definately a delight. I can't remember the last time a ate a mango, so I can't tell you how spot-on the smell or flavor is.
Smoking this, I'm like ZooJohnny: a complex flavor, or should we say group of flavors? This is not a very sweet, but one that borders on a bitter-sweet, like last night's Sara 2 apples. The early stages of smoking this were a little tasteless, but several drags after brought that bitter-sweetness out. I'm detecting a slight hint of cocconut in the background as well as a pine needle-ish taste. Rather weird. Several minutes later I'm getting a stronger taste of something that is reminding me that mangos do taste like this. Or my mind is saying "mango!" But only a little bit. Now I'm motivated to go out and find a mango tomorrow. The pine needle taste is starting to subside and is being replaced with a deeper sweetness. This sweetness is very pleasant. As far as the "green" taste that johnny was talking about, it's not quite as I envisioned it. It is a mild, bitter kind of green, not a sharp sour like I was hoping. Overall, I am liking it, but not falling in love with it.
Flavor:- This is kinda cool. A complex smoke that has several background flavors playing "hide-and-seek." Not for those who need the sweetest, most accurate flavor to be entertained. More for someone who likes to think about it and put the puzzle together. Or someone who just wants something different. I see myself finishing the box.
Smoke density:- Oh, this is what little boys' dreams are made of. Very rich and thick the first 20 minutes of the smoke. It will block out the sun, causing the Lorax's Truffula trees to die off. Very good job from our friends representing the palm tree.
Buzz factor:- This deserves a special place in my twisted heart. A typical, sloppy Nakhla style buzz.
***NEW CATEGORY*** Smoke satisfaction (This means "Do I feel satisfied?" I feel that if you want to smoke something, you should feel like you just did smoke something and you don't have the urge to smoke anything else afterward. Some brands/flavors leave you wondering what you just did. Thus, you immediately want another bowl or cigarette after. That is weak, weak, WEAK! In other words: "A NO-GO at this station!)
Smoke Satisfaction:- Yes, I smoked something and I don't want to smoke any longer. My lungs are very satisfied. I feel the niccotine cruising through my body and I want a nap now.
Nose-Hitability:- Only an insignificant 2 carpet tacker here, but what gets my drawers wet is the fact that when I blew the smoke out after the nose inhale, my keyboard was obscured totally. Normally, I tend to lose thickness (probably because my brain is filtering something out) but not this time. What went in, did come out. I'm excited!
General feeling of wellness:  I got a Nakhla buzz. How else should I feel? I love this kooky brand. I want to sleep, but I hear thunder approaching and feel the need to download "weather bug," as we don't have any warning system around here.
Closing thoughts: This is really cool, because it's a flavor I've never had before. I love complex smokes, because I love to sit and think. I hate cross word puzzles, so I excercise my brain picking apart my smokes. As I said before, it's not for everyone. The "pine needleish taste in the background will drive some of you off the edge. The deep sweetness is a plus side to it. And the times that the thought of "mango" slaps you upside the head may not be worth it. That is just up to you. This is not a typical Nakhla smoke as there is no taste that is harsh or offending (other than the mind bending buzz). Just something different, with a wonderful deep, bittersweetness, with a bitter-green sense playing around. You make the choice, but I think it's worth a 50 gram box to be the first kid on your block to try this. You may like this.

What a great addition to rating sessions, the Smoke-Satisfaction scale.  I didn't even think of that, but it's true.  Another way to judge a great smoke is if after you're done with a flavor, do you want to immedialtey try another one?
Last night smoking the GS AF esk apple, I was tempted to switch out to smoke the Romman Peach with my nwe hole pattern and then all of a sudden it was like, Nah, yknow what....this is too good to stop :)
I have gotten the highest satisfaction ratings from Fumari Watermelon, White Peach, GS AF esk apple, AF straw, grape, and cherry.