Hookah Material, Good? Bad? Whats What?

I have been toying with the idea of making a hookah but i keep hearing and reading about metals and glues that give off toxic fumes that can do some nasty things to the body not to mention make the smoke taste like **** so i thought id ask if anyone could make a list of the materials to avoid and the ideal materials to use.

I'm surprised that i cant find a consolidated list like this anywhere. so what things are good? bad? should we start a list?

or if there is already a list like this out there can some one point me in its direction?

thanks

*Bump*

I'm also very interested, whilst I'm a cafe smoker who's hoping to get a nice bonus at work and import a couple of babies, I also want to build a hookah from scartch, with the idea to not use a single component that is designed for hookah (call me a hard arse).

First off, Im looking for a inhalation-friendly bung/plug. Would silicone be cool, compared to the orange rubber ?

Secondly, what sort of adhesive might dry/set so as to not release toxins down the line ?

I'v goyt a mother of an idea in mind which I'll keep under my belt for now.... butu it also includes cutting glass - any ideas on that also ?

Cheers all,

Ø

Ok, I guess I'll post what I know, but I only speak from limited experience, theory and some first year college chem classes; so take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, the bowl and top of the down stem are the only thing that will come in contact with any real heat, but little water. So for this, your going to want parts and fittings that are (duh) heat resistant. I have successfully glued together a bowl, that was broke under the place where the shisha goes, with silicone glue (heat resistane to 450 C); I put it on a hot plate, where I measured the temp at 400 F (~200C), for 20min (I have measured the bowls temp that I smoke, and the bowl never went over 425F); there was no melting, burning, smoking, or smell coming from the bowl and glue. I loaded a bowl and began smoking (the silicone on the inside of the bowl made it fit on the downstem without a rubber, so it was like the bowl had a built in rubber! very cool); I did not notice any taste difference what so ever.

I dont know what you could use for a bowl that could be reused besides fire cooked glazed clay.

Second, this is easer, the vase. All you need is a air tight seal on the top of the vase with places for the various tubes. I currently use a pvc cap (has a rubber feel, I may post this in a topic later, we'll see), and it smokes like a champ. I broke my large rotator hookah, and I'm currently repairing it. I found a urethane resin that is water (good) and alcohol (woot! vodka in the hookah) proof. this way there is no worry of stuff in that water that I don't want!

Finally the hose. I have no idea what to use besides a real hookah hose. I have been unable to find a substitute and any hardware or fish store I've been to

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (VDDZ @ Jun 6 2007, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I guess I'll post what I know, but I only speak from limited experience, theory and some first year college chem classes; so take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, the bowl and top of the down stem are the only thing that will come in contact with any real heat, but little water. So for this, your going to want parts and fittings that are (duh) heat resistant. I have successfully glued together a bowl, that was broke under the place where the shisha goes, with silicone glue (heat resistane to 450 C); I put it on a hot plate, where I measured the temp at 400 F (~200C), for 20min (I have measured the bowls temp that I smoke, and the bowl never went over 425F); there was no melting, burning, smoking, or smell coming from the bowl and glue. I loaded a bowl and began smoking (the silicone on the inside of the bowl made it fit on the downstem without a rubber, so it was like the bowl had a built in rubber! very cool); I did not notice any taste difference what so ever.

I dont know what you could use for a bowl that could be reused besides fire cooked glazed clay.

Second, this is easer, the vase. All you need is a air tight seal on the top of the vase with places for the various tubes. I currently use a pvc cap (has a rubber feel, I may post this in a topic later, we'll see), and it smokes like a champ. I broke my large rotator hookah, and I'm currently repairing it. I found a urethane resin that is water (good) and alcohol (woot! vodka in the hookah) proof. this way there is no worry of stuff in that water that I don't want!

Finally the hose. I have no idea what to use besides a real hookah hose. I have been unable to find a substitute and any hardware or fish store I've been to

You can probably use a nalgene tube. They are used in research so they can be autoclaved, and thus withstand heat. They are not suppose to have any smell or leak anything. I don't know where to find them, but try a aqurium store. They sell tubes there.

P.S. You might want to get a hose cover.