Introducing... The Stacker Bowl (work In Progress)

After setting up your hookah, packing your bowl, lighting your coal, and enjoying a fine smoke, it seems like smooth sailing... until you realize your shisha is burnt and you have to pack more. Sure, you could have another bowl ready to replace the one you're smoking from, but for most, it's a case of removing the coal, foil, and burnt shisha, then repacking the bowl, replacing the foil, and replacing the bowl. While this doesn't seem tedious in context, the reality is that by the time you get everything set back up, you're probably already ready for a new coal, leaving your guests and you to wait while things get going again.

Well, look no further, I've come up with the ultimate party bowl:

Note: The larger piece on the cup(pictured right) is a spacer, which is seperate from the cup and is placed in between two cups to connect them.)

(Will add picture of female adapter that will work on any male stem hookah later)

With the Stacker Bowl, you can now attain an absolutely custom smoke, by stacking the cups in various ways.

Want to try dozens of flavor mixes in seconds? Simply pack each cup with a different flavor, stack them according to strength(good if one flavor likes to overpower others), and swap them whenever you like... quickly and without mess.

Find that your heat source is too harsh or your shisha burns instead of vaporizes? Add an empty cup between the one housing your shisha and the coal. An all metal design allows even the shisha in the cup furthest away from the coal to vaporize thoroughly, so no shisha is wasted.

Want a non-stop session with multiple, individual flavors? With the tube spacer(pictured left), you can stack multiple flavors, have them burn individually, and with an added bonus, have them already vaporizing well when you decide to smoke them.

And for all you funnel freaks out there, I plan to design a funnel bowl around the same concept.

Right now, I'm just in conceptual stage, awaiting feedback. I don't plan to go into production, but if someone likes the idea, please feel free to get it into the hands of someone that will make it. Edited by teq

Hey Teq,

I love your concept. This is something that can bring hookah sessions to a WHOLE new level. If you don't mind would you be able to send me some more detailed design drawing? I would love to get a few prototypes made. You know, I don't get extremely excited for new products that often, but this has really grabbed my attention.

Keep the ideas coming! wink.gif

This is the same bowl used in a Yemin Hookah... it has a large bowl and you don't use coil but put the coal right on the shisha... it's for really hard smokers... and personally i think it's a waste of shisha but maybe you'll prove me wrong,

QUOTE (tkato @ May 19 2007, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the same bowl used in a Yemin Hookah... it has a large bowl and you don't use coil but put the coal right on the shisha... it's for really hard smokers... and personally i think it's a waste of shisha but maybe you'll prove me wrong,

It's more than that, in the ability that it can be stacked:

i would like to try one. It's a good idea perhaps the most genius idea ever you should win the noble shisha prize hehe. Thanks for the idea smile.gif

few notes a i have to say: (please don't take me as a troll or anything but i really just try to help you out)
puttin a bowl this big on a hookah will surely make it unstable, and if your target audience is partys, alot of people smoking shisha for a long duration i really think this bowl will make the hookah fall down.
on another note, how is the shisha is supposed to be burnt in this manner? it's a very large head and to me it seems unlikely that the heat will spread that far.
another thing is the air flow, making a large head means alot of shisha, if this is like 3 levels of shisha the possiblity of smoke coming through the head is less likely.

I Suggest making a "whine-glass" design, such design can provide the user to put alot of shisha that will burn for a long time, maybe even making a phunnel through it.

again please don't take me as a troll and sorry for my english smile.gif Edited by tkato

QUOTE (web250 @ May 19 2007, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic idea. I'd like to see how well it works when you get a mock-up of it

Thanks. All that's left is deciding on a medium. I'm a little weary of copper, in favor of aluminum for its lack of oxidation and fewer potential contaminants(especially when dealing with stock material).

There might be brass fittings that will come together nicely, without having to use a mill(which, luckily, I have readily available).

QUOTE (tkato @ May 19 2007, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
few notes a i have to say: (please don't take me as a troll or anything but i really just try to help you out)
puttin a bowl this big on a hookah will surely make it unstable, and if your target audience is partys, alot of people smoking shisha for a long duration i really think this bowl will make the hookah fall down.
on another note, how is the shisha is supposed to be burnt in this manner? it's a very large head and to me it seems unlikely that the heat will spread that far.
another thing is the air flow, making a large head means alot of shisha, if this is like 3 levels of shisha the possiblity of smoke coming through the head is less likely.

I Suggest making a "whine-glass" design, such design can provide the user to put alot of shisha that will burn for a long time, maybe even making a phunnel through it.

again please don't take me as a troll and sorry for my english smile.gif

No, not at all. I appreciate feedback. After all, that's why I posted the concept instead of just going out and trying it with the likelihood of failure.

You're right about it being potentially unstable, but there are ways to overcome this(magnets are first to come to mind). However, when I was thinking this up, I was considering that the type of parties it would be good for would be those held in polite company, not a rave scene(in which case hookahs can become a pretty big fire hazard).

Airflow is of no concern, due to the fact that most larger hookahs are at least two hose and have a high enough draw.

Also, it doesn't necessary have to be a larger head, as I'm thinking the ability to stack it on top of any ceramic bowl would be a plus. It's good to note that while the bowls appear deep, they become shallow when you consider that the shisha must be packed loosely to ensure any type of airflow. This, in addition to the fact that the entire head will be made from the same metal, allowing heat to conduct very well. Ceramic is better at heat retention than most metals, but when it comes to conductivity, metals are much quicker. Edited by teq

Well, im happy that you took no offense from my comments, on the same subject i would like to say that after reviewing again your project i must say it looks like a solid one, but i am concernd about it beeing possibly unstable, and personally the people i smoke shisha with in parties and such come and go, it takes only one idiot to brake the base or even the pipe it self...

I Suggest making a phunnel whine glass designs, while it's large it preserves the stableness because of the round shape.
but im not too happy about the choice of metals since it can give an aftertate of metal while you smoke and it could rust (if you plan on cleaning it).

What metals would you recommend?

Stainless steel is always an option, albeit an expensive one. I'm pretty sure annodized aluminum will work, but I don't have an annodizer and cheap powdercoat kits will be severely toxic.

Brass shouldn't be a problem, simply because that's what a lot of stems are made out of and they seem to hold up fine.

^ I disagree. Metal would make knocking that thing over a much cheaper mistake. You'd be cleaning shit up for days if it was glass.

You'd have to make sure that however you mounted it on the hookah, it stood perfectly upright. If you're stacking like 6 bowls, and its a little misaligned at the bottom, its probably going to be on quite the angle at the top. If the coals go on top of it (unless you're thinking that they go inside a stacker which is pretty cool) you'd have a hard time keeping them in place.

Stability will be your only issue I think. Try making a coal plate that has a series of tower like sticks that will support the stacking bowls. It's kind of hard to describe. Like imagine sticks welded onto the plate, that are placed in a circumference around how wide the bowl will be, or a little bit wider so they have some wiggle space.

I Have an idea, how about making it a four tower bowl which in the middle connector there is space to put a coal than placing the two more bowls and placing another coal ontop, this way it will provide heat for all the shisha.

and about the stability part, it's still a big issue since it dangrous to even have a hookah inside a house since it's a major fire hazard but maybe if you could come up with something that will help hold them.
lets say a 4 plastic or metal lines that will come out of the final stacker that will grap the plate making it hold the stackers tight to the head, it will also give nice grip for the bowl to the pipe and hold it to the hookah.

wow i don't belive i thought about it, i actully think it's smart ohmy.gif.

i think it's a pretty cool idea. i glanced through the thread and read a couple lines here and there, and didn't see what i was thinking about the bowl.

If you were to make a stacker like that, and just have it two high or so, that'd be really cool, but something that i think about is that the molasses that is down on the top tier would begin to drip down the bowl and into the bottom bowl. Likewise, the bottom bowl would drip its molasses down the stem of the hookah. Granted, some of this dripping would be replaced by the top bowl, but you'd still be wasting a good bit of molasses while the bottom shisha just sits there, waiting for the charcoal. Now, if you were to make the bottom bowl a funnel design ala the phunnel, and have 5 holes in a circle in the top bowl over where the funnel is, you'd catch all molasses that's dripping down, plus you'd get the smoking advantages of a funnel bowl after your first bit of shisha has been burnt/whatever. Plus, if you wanted to just smoke a single bowl by yourself, you'd have the option of using a funnel bowl as well.

QUOTE (tkato @ May 19 2007, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Have an idea, how about making it a four tower bowl which in the middle connector there is space to put a coal than placing the two more bowls and placing another coal ontop, this way it will provide heat for all the shisha.

That's just the beauty of this design, there's no single way to smoke from it.

Your sandwich idea would work perfectly with this, making the most of a single coal.

Thats not gonna work. The coals will only burn the top bowl. There is no way the heat will get down to the other bowls.

What's your logic behind this?

It's an all metal design and shisha doesn't take much heat to vaporize.

If you want to do the math, you're looking at a medium that conducts heat at anywhere from 80 Wmk(steel) to 400 WmK(copper) and is drawing from a source that conducts heat at around 200WmK. Given that the metal is being heated by direct contact, rather than by radiation(like the shisha is), it's safe to say that you could take a foot long pipe and still receive outstanding results.

I think his idea is for the coal to burn the top layer only, once its burnt to the bone, simply remove the burnt layer and go for the next one down. Correct me if i am wrong.

Well, that's one way to use it.

As I illustrated, you have the option of either creating mixes at various levels or you could use the tube cap and seperate your shisha, smoking it layer by layer.

The difference, though, between this and a two, three, or four head bowl... or even having two single bowls, is that the shisha will already be prepped for you when you want to smoke it. This allows you to conserve on coals and have long sessions without pauses.

perhaps some kind of sleeve that goes over the whole setup would help deal with the stability issues. like the metal wind covers, but with a diameter to accommodate the stacker bowls.

Wow, since most of the concern is placed on stability, I'm guessing you guys like what you're seeing?

I'm much obliged.

Finally, I'd like to show another idea I had to improve on the funnel bowl:

This, my friends, would be called an Inverted Funnel. It improves on the funnel by featuring all the benefits of the funnel, with an added bonus of the Scalli mod built right in. You place your shisha at the bottom of the bowl, place the disk(any common metal washer will do) on top, put your foil on, and enjoy a thorough burn without having to move the coal around. When you take a hit, some pressure is created, causing the disk to "milk" the flavor out of the shisha, making any flavor taste that much greater.

What I'm thinking is that this is something you can already try with not only any funnel out there, but any bowl in general. I'll try it when I can, but if someone can beat me to it and report back, you have my thanks. Edited by teq