Anything Besides Tobacco In A Hookah? (not Illegal Stuff Either!)

Can anything else besides tobacco be smoked with a hookah?

I'm not talking about any illegal substances...

AND, I don't want to hear any wise-ass "Well you can smoke anything out of a hookah, you just probably won't like it" comments either.

What I am talking about would be stuff like chopped apple pieces or skins soaked in honey or glycerine. Is this possible? A horrible idea? Anyone tried it?

I know they make that Soex herbal shisha, but I heard it was really disgusting.

I know that any tobacco is bad for one's health, and I still make the informed descision to smoke hookah. I understand and accept the risks. Just trying to think of a healthier way which doesn't involve not smoking.

i tried to make hookah mix out of green tea leaves.

it smoked...but i honestly dont think you want to taste it. friend ended up throwing up after a few mins, i was on the verge.

i put green tea leaves which were previously brewed. They are 200dollars a lb green tea leaves. they are full leaves, not the little cut up mulchy stuff. i added honey (forgot which kind exactly) with glcyerin (taken from lab), and mixed it. I also added menthyl acetate <--- possible cause of pukage?

i created the ester in lab. it had a very peppermint smell. i heard they are used as artifical flavorings so i figured it was safe shrug Edited by Scoop

Hey Tinqjunkie...Yeah we know smoking tobacco is bad for you. We have tons of tests that prove it. However I have been unable to find any tests done on smoking other stuff. Smoking other things MIGHT be better for you. Then again it could be worse. As I understand it most of the damaging effects of smoking come from the combustion of tobacco...I would think the combustion of other plant products would be harmful too. Just be careful and give it some thought before lighting up a pine cone or some other crazy thing.

when you burn anything you release carbon. the carbon coming in contact with your lungs is what causes problems. breathing in any burn-caused vapors is cancer causing.

lettuce, tobacco, etc...all not good to breath in

QUOTE (Scoop @ Jan 13 2007, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when you burn anything you release carbon. the carbon coming in contact with your lungs is what causes problems. breathing in any burn-caused vapors is cancer causing.

lettuce, tobacco, etc...all not good to breath in
So you just as well enjoy your tobacco right? tongue.gif

QUOTE (tingjunkie @ Jan 13 2007, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anything else besides tobacco be smoked with a hookah?

I'm not talking about any illegal substances...

AND, I don't want to hear any wise-ass "Well you can smoke anything out of a hookah, you just probably won't like it" comments either.

What I am talking about would be stuff like chopped apple pieces or skins soaked in honey or glycerine. Is this possible? A horrible idea? Anyone tried it?

I know they make that Soex herbal shisha, but I heard it was really disgusting.

I know that any tobacco is bad for one's health, and I still make the informed descision to smoke hookah. I understand and accept the risks. Just trying to think of a healthier way which doesn't involve not smoking.

i bet tobacco is the healthiest stuff you can smoke out of the hookah. And your tone is annoying, the hookah IS DESIGNED FOR SMOKING TOBACCO, so to smoke anything else out of it would be venturing into an unknown realm, you dont know the health risks, the long or short term damage- the effects. At least with tobacco you know what you get, so there it is, take it or leave it-

QUOTE (Molson @ Jan 13 2007, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think one day i would like to try orange shisha with orange zest (shaving of the peel) see how it turns out

its delicious with only a tiny bit of zest, then take the slices and mash them a little and put them in the vase and its really yum. I also put orange tang in the vase on occasion that has about the same effect, the zest in the bowl is hard to manage though because it will harshen the smoke

QUOTE (Jones @ Jan 13 2007, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could also try salvia, it's a psychodelic but it's also perfectly legal. If that's up your alley. smile.gif

Actually, salvia is illegal in like 4 states (not mine though smile.gif )

But salvia certainly won't work in a hookah for a number of reasons...

First of all, it must be vaporized at a very high temperature to vaporize the active Salvinorin-A (forgot the exact temp)

Second, it must be taken in the lungs hot and fast (so the chemicals don't condense before reaching ur blood stream) and then it must be held in the lungs for at least 30 seconds per hit. Any form of inhalation not meeting that standard, will prolly give u a worse buzz than the shisha.

The non-psychadelic effects of salvia just basically make u feel really heavy and WAY to lazy to do anything until the effects wear off (a few minutes).

Other than that, salvia is one of the craziest plants I ever smoked. smile.gif

QUOTE (johnchain @ Jan 13 2007, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jones @ Jan 13 2007, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could also try salvia, it's a psychodelic but it's also perfectly legal. If that's up your alley. smile.gif

Actually, salvia is illegal in like 4 states (not mine though smile.gif )

But salvia certainly won't work in a hookah for a number of reasons...

First of all, it must be vaporized at a very high temperature to vaporize the active Salvinorin-A (forgot the exact temp)

Second, it must be taken in the lungs hot and fast (so the chemicals don't condense before reaching ur blood stream) and then it must be held in the lungs for at least 30 seconds per hit. Any form of inhalation not meeting that standard, will prolly give u a worse buzz than the shisha.

The non-psychadelic effects of salvia just basically make u feel really heavy and WAY to lazy to do anything until the effects wear off (a few minutes).

Other than that, salvia is one of the craziest plants I ever smoked. smile.gif

I've smoked salvia out of a normally packed shisha bowl, you just have to put it on top and make sure the coal is as hot as possible, salvia does taste like ass though. I'm quite knowledgeable on the whole routine, I make my own extracts (NOT FOR SALE, THIS ISN'T SPAM), but you'd be surprised how forgiving it is. Also, back darn two other states that buckled, Louisianna and Missouri were the only ones back when I got started, seems like two other states gave in, shame really.

But yeah, basically, shisha is the tastiest thing you can smoke out of a hookah, and if it's a health concern...there's always jogging.

QUOTE ([LB] @ Jan 13 2007, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And your tone is annoying, the hookah IS DESIGNED FOR SMOKING TOBACCO, so to smoke anything else out of it would be venturing into an unknown realm, you dont know the health risks, the long or short term damage- the effects. At least with tobacco you know what you get, so there it is, take it or leave it-

Didn't mean to be annoying, just wanted to cover the basic responses I know I would have had if I didn't unleash a preemptive strike.

I'm not satisfied with the "take it or leave it" approach either. How else would humans make any progress or discoveries if we didn't try new things?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Thanks for all that great info [LB]. Much appreciated!

I actually have some of the filter tips for my hose. I hope they are doing what they're supposed to, but as with anything hookah, no reliable tests have been conducted to prove it. sad.gif

I only smoke about once per week, and I only smoke washed shisha, so I don't worry too much about health effects. I know even a small amount of smoking is doing some damage to me, but I am guessing my body can process that much tar/nicotene/crap without too many problems. I just thought it might be interesting to experiment with non-tobacco stuff. You are probably right in the end- tobacco might be the safest thing for all we know. If apples or tea could be smoked, then someone would be making money with it already.

If I ever try to make my own mix, I will let everyone know how it turns out. By the way, what kind of glycerin is used in commercial shisha, and where might I locate some?

QUOTE ([LB] @ Jan 13 2007, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all im trying to say is that i wouldnt trust anything except for tobacco in my hookah, that includes soex because nobody has tested the long term ramifications of anything BUT tobacco in the hookah.

Which we KNOW causes cancer and emphtsema and Death and stuff.

... and we can always ask GoD about the short term ramifications of smoking cotton balls... unsure.gif Edited by Sariél