Hose Mod

JoeLipinski

Google Tygon R-3603 for the most supple hose (I will check out diameters soon) We use this stuff in Computer water cooling . I'm going to try R1000 tubing after I measure.

This stuff is the BEST you can get. Figure it will cost 20-30$ for just the hose, but you will NEVER need to buy another biggrin.gif

The BEST (costs more but WORTH it in long run)

P.S. It looks cool watching it fill w/ smoke too biggrin.gif Edited by hookahmike

QUOTE (Macho555 @ Nov 20 2006, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made a hose like that from an old Mitsuba hose, but I ended up buying a new one anyway. I hated it, because it just wasnt supple enough, and I tipped the hookah over more than once.

My friend had the exact same problem. Looks nice but the hose isnt pliable eneugh for the application.

• 2 weeks later...
woohoo i just made mine today.
bought 5 ft. of vinyl tubing got home warm up the ends and hooked up my ol sleek hose ends.
only thing is my tubing is friggin stiff.
i'll post pics when my camera is charged.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sonthert @ Nov 20 2006, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (azcoyote)
If you warm the vinyl hose end in scalding water for a minute it wil slip right on.

Application of physics gets bonus points!

Ding! Ding! Ding!

doesnt cold water make things contract, thus making it easier to slip on? I guess scalding hot water would make the plastic more malleable by melting it, but if u wanted to just fit it in and then when it returns to room temperature expand, wouldnt cold water do the trick?

anyways, this hose mod looks great! im gonna try it one of these days.

• 4 weeks later...
GREAT IDEA!!!! PRops!!!!

I got the hose, 3/8 ID and used HOT water to make it pliable. I then stretched the kinks out...making it straight instead of all curved.

I did use the ends from an old hose. The ends were made of wood, pretty traditional...

Here is my question....

Does ANYBODY!? Know of any plastic pieces/handles that could be used on both ends of the hose. Similar to the wooden handles...but plastic or something easier to clean?

Cheers!

If you put the hose in cold water it would shrink and make the diameter smaller making the hose much much harder to fit on the tips. Hot water expands the material and makes the diameter of the hose larger making it easier to fit on and then it cools and seals itself.

QUOTE (EvansLight @ Nov 19 2006, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
damn this really makes me want to make a nice trip to lowes now XD

Hah, bring out the KY for your new hose~!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have been experimenting with these plastic hoses from a local hardware shop. don't go too big on the hose, I stupidly bought a size similar to the outside of my regular hookah hose. if you take them apart the actual amount of air room in the hose is much smaller. as far as ends go, i screwed off the end of my cobra head and tried that, but took some q-tips and shoved them into the head. 20 brown rusted q-tips later i just threw the head away. Plain works for me, especially knowing that im getting a clean(er) smoke rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (JoeLipinski @ Nov 19 2006, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing I can tell you is that the size I used was $0.23 per foot at lowes in pittsburgh, pa. If I go back again I will update you. This size may vary per hose tips too, so you may just want to get your tip and try to match it with your tip. sorry I can't be more of help.

Pittsburgh?! I didn't know anyone else here was from Pittsburgh! Well damn, I'm going to have to try that once I get a 2nd hose. BTW was it the lowes in Robinson, the new one near Bethel Park, or the one at the Waterfront (at least I think there's one at the waterfront... blink.gif )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
wow - awesome mod smile.gif I had a hose with ends I like, but the leather was glycerin saturated and flaking inside. I cut off the ends, pulled out the leather and springs, and the clear tubing from my spare fish tank cleaner slid right into place. now I can continue using the mouthpiece I like and have a modern-looking hose biggrin.gif thanks for coming up with this.

Whoo-hoo! I just figured out WHAT was wrong with my attempt at moding my hose! The small end of the heads - it wasn't drilled all the way thru - once I finished drilling it, the silly monster works perfectly!

The hose is that non-kink fish filter hosing I bought a few months ago! Finally!