Creating A Presentation, Need Your Help!

Hey everyone.

As some of you are probably aware, I've recently been working on a community project in my hometown to help people affected by epilepsy since support for epilepsy where I live is very minimal.

I know some of you may of heard of epilepsy, some of you may know someone who has it and some of you may even know a little bit about it.

I'm creating a presentation which encompasses the facts about epilepsy and I want you all to reply this thread with your questions about epilepsy so I can see what are the most commonly asked questions are, (don't check to see the question has been asked before, JUST ASK) so I can create something which will give the volunteers of my project a solid foundation in the understanding of epilepsy.

There is no such thing as a stupid question so don't be apprehensive about what you want to ask.

I will also try to answer as many of your questions as possible.

Thanking you in advance

Shahid

How does epilepsy affect your daily life?

When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy 16 years ago it wasn't made clear to me the severity of my condition, but I was also 14 and couldn't imagine the detrimental/beneficial effect it would have on my life in the long run.

I have always been in and out of hospital ever since I've had epilepsy and the first area of my life that was hit hardest was my education, my school never had any kind of support for someone with my condition and I was always falling behind on assignments. My father gave me a hard time about this so I felt a lot of pressure to perform in school.

After I left school I got a job working in a local Burger King, after I decided not to continue with that I decided to pursue other avenues in terms of work. But I constantly found myself being discriminated against because of my condition, I went for a job once where I had to take a drug test... which I failed because some chemical was red flagged in my urine even though I informed the people interviewing me I was anti epileptic drugs.

I decided to go back to school in 2007 to prove to myself I could achieve good grades and did a diploma in medicine and medical biosciences, I got some of best grades in my class. I later got a placement at a very prestigious university to do a degree in Pharmacy but was unable to move out and live alone due to the danger I would be to myself if I had a seizure.

Finding a partner hasn't been easy because it's hard to find someone who is willing to live with my condition, this can be very frustrating at times.

I have a severe form of epilepsy which is triggered by stress, malnutrition, dehydration, too much sugar, too little sugar, sleep deprivation and intense exercise.

When I started weight training I found I had to stop after a short period of time because it was causing hormone fluctuation which in turn were provoking chemical imbalances in my body.

The medicine I have taken hasn't allowed me to sleep properly for a long time, a healthy appetite and has taken it's toll on my stomach and liver to a point where it's doing more harm than good.

As you can appreciate there is a lot I want to achieve but with my condition my life can be quite prohibited.

I hope this answers your question somewhat.

Edited by mujahid_shahid

I'm curious...... I've heard great things about a ketogenic diet in treating epilepsy along with it's treatment for cancer.  Some people seem to show a reduction in seizures within 48 hours.  Atkins is the most famous of the semi-ketogenic diets, and according to them it takes 10-14 days to go into ketosis.  With epileptics, they've learned to shorten the process by fasting for 24 hours.  Of course all this is under a doctor's care.  Have you tried, it, heard of it, etc?  If not perhaps it's worth investigating.  Some of the results have been extraordinarily good.

'Rani

Yeah Pavo is right cannabinol (it's a pill form of pure the) has been shown to help but One of the other active ingredients in marijuana is CBD and that has been shown to help more with out getting you high and is a great reliever. Also if this is crossing the line NHT wise feel free to delete it

One of my best friend has epilepsy, as does one of my ex's. Some topics that should be addressed in a realistic sense:

How having epilepsy affects:

your ability to drive

your ability to hold a job working 8 or more hours a day

keeping a steady sleep schedule

sex life/sex drive

hormonal balance

ability to adapt to an increased dependency of technology

There are others but these are some of the big points when dealing with my friend's epilepsy and my ex's.

also you should cover the varying degree and types. For instance, my friend does not pass out when having a seizure, my ex would convulse and pass out after most of his seizures.

I'm curious...... I've heard great things about a ketogenic diet in treating epilepsy along with it's treatment for cancer.  Some people seem to show a reduction in seizures within 48 hours.  Atkins is the most famous of the semi-ketogenic diets, and according to them it takes 10-14 days to go into ketosis.  With epileptics, they've learned to shorten the process by fasting for 24 hours.  Of course all this is under a doctor's care.  Have you tried, it, heard of it, etc?  If not perhaps it's worth investigating.  Some of the results have been extraordinarily good.

'Rani

1) You must of missed my reply to Chris' question, it clearly states that malnutrition and low blood sugar can trigger my seizures.

2) Fasting is out of the question for me since one of the pillars in Islam for a Muslim like myself is fasting and the last time I tried to fast I started having seizures.

The Atkins diet then is a no no because the main principle is to cut out carbs for a certain period of time, carbs are made up of sugar. Low blood sugar causes seizures for me, can you see where I'm going with this?

'Rani

1) You must of missed my reply to Chris' question, it clearly states that malnutrition and low blood sugar can trigger my seizures.

2) Fasting is out of the question for me since one of the pillars in Islam for a Muslim like myself is fasting and the last time I tried to fast I started having seizures.

The Atkins diet then is a no no because the main principle is to cut out carbs for a certain period of time, carbs are made up of sugar. Low blood sugar causes seizures for me, can you see where I'm going with this?

Absolutely.  Obviously a doctors input is necessary for all medical issues, not just for you but for everyone.  Except rudeness.  Apparently that only needs someone to misinterpret your statements.

'Rani

Except rudeness.  Apparently that only needs someone to misinterpret your statements.

'Rani

You've lost me?