Official Smoking in a College Dorm thread

As a former 2-year RA that used his hookah to bring residents closer together, you have nothing to worry about. In my experience hookah smoke doesn't set off smoke detectors, and a box fan facing out your window will take care of any lingering smell. At worst, if you're a guy then people will be wondering why your hallway smells as nice as the girls living on the floor above you.

We were pretty clear about the rules, as long as it didn't smell like anything it shouldn't - keep it quiet. If you're outdoors, keep it 15-ft from the entrances.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to smoke in my dorm room and in our on campus apartment all the time. we never really had an issue. we just put a shirt under the door of the dorm. In the apt we never even got bothered, altho when I went on vacation one summer I came back and someone or some admin had taken my hookah never to be heard from again, the weird thing was that the hose and the stem and the base were all in diff. parts of my apt. and all of them when missing... but they left the shisha... weird? yes....

[quote name='HookahDuck' date='12 September 2006 - 08:10 AM' timestamp='1158077428' post='57658']
Just to clarify a few things: Every dorm at ASU is non-smoking only. 90% of the people on my floor are smokers, and many of them own their own hookahs (therefore will be interested in this thread as well). I would much prefer to smoke outside, but the only area we are allowed to smoke is in the parking lot, a quarter mile from the dorm (litterally). Besides the actual walk, the atmosphere is depressing and isnt exactly a relaxing place. As a few people stated earlier, smoking for me is only really enjoyed when I can relax with a good movie or music (I also like to smoke while reading/doing homework- especially philosophy).Interesting note about the smoke detectors- I had no idea. The suggestion about leaving the ventilation for the door to evacuate the present air is also very insightful; im not sure why that idea didnt occur to me.I will avoid arosols as noted. I think I'll just invest in the most hardcore plugin style airfreshener that money can buy.Any and all other suggestions are widely appreciated!(btw, I referred several of my buddies on my floor to the forum. They should be lurking around)Thanks!
[/quote]

You could always use a candle or two, no?

[quote name='SaraDunn' date='17 January 2007 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1169090447' post='97299']
QUOTE (web250 @ Jan 16 2007, 09:00 PM) QUOTE (SaraDunn @ Jan 16 2007, 06:05 PM) So, I'm planning on cracking the window open and covering the smoke detector.

Don't do that. Many detectors know when they've been covered, and will go off.

Nah, I had a maggot infestation in my room earlier this year.
I had to cover the detector when I was bombing it and it was fine.
[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

My school is very nice in some respects, but it doesn't really give a shit about building conditions.
[/quote]

Jesus, were there corpses in the walls or something?

Sorry about the double post, btw.

[quote name='EireBrode' date='21 January 2010 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1264134992' post='447026']
[quote name='SaraDunn' date='17 January 2007 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1169090447' post='97299']
QUOTE (web250 @ Jan 16 2007, 09:00 PM) QUOTE (SaraDunn @ Jan 16 2007, 06:05 PM) So, I'm planning on cracking the window open and covering the smoke detector.

Don't do that. Many detectors know when they've been covered, and will go off.

Nah, I had a maggot infestation in my room earlier this year.

[/quote]

Gross. Maggot infestation? Gross man.

I'm doing it right now. I have my window cracked, but my room's pretty cloudy. Not a single complaint :D

In all seriousness though, if you're worried about it open a window, point a fan across the top of your hookah, and exhale toward the window. Works like a charm.

[quote name='Sonthert' date='12 September 2006 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1158089362' post='57724']
Better idea!Go to the campus administration with the huge proportion of hookah people there and insist that they set up smoking areas, if not just for hookahs, for everybody. Setup protests, storm the administration building if they won't listen!Edit: If you make the national news, I'll send you some free tobacco and phunnel heads!
[/quote]

They have outdoor smoking areas. In the middle of effin nowhere. I'll set a building on fire and make the news if there's loot involved though lol. my main problem is there's only like, 6 people in the dorms (my village anyway) that smoke AND own hookahs. last time we went out there, we were happened upon by the douchebag brigade who wanted to smoke. that's fine, i usually don't mind, but keep it under 15 people. I don't like people who stumble up and ask if it'll get them high. 5 times. I'd like to educate them, but most of them have an IQ hovering around 50.

our setup for the dorm is a paper walmart bowl cut to fit over the detector, fan used to get rid of the smell from lighting the coals, then the fan is cut off, and the window stays open but its usually go the blinds closed over it. I have yet to get a smell in the hallway, and no complaints yet. however a few rugs and party foul jar insure everyone is careful with the coals and hookah.

[quote name='0ctane' date='27 January 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1264612756' post='447994']
our setup for the dorm is a paper walmart bowl cut to fit over the detector, fan used to get rid of the smell from lighting the coals, then the fan is cut off, and the window stays open but its usually go the blinds closed over it. I have yet to get a smell in the hallway, and no complaints yet. however a few rugs and party foul jar insure everyone is careful with the coals and hookah.
[/quote]

need pics of smoke alarm pls

[quote name='delSol_si' date='26 January 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1264568012' post='447919']
see, my main concern is a campus DPS driving past and seeing smoke coming out of my window....
[/quote]
Honestly, if you have a fan, tht should make the smoke disapate really fast. It did for me. Granted I was smoking an so tht smoke goes away real fast normally

[quote name='shaffaaf27' date='27 January 2010 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1264617445' post='448001']
[quote name='0ctane' date='27 January 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1264612756' post='447994']
[/quote]

need pics of smoke alarm pls
[/quote]

tomorrow i will edit this post with a pic for you. cover we use and then the alarm cus they are doing room checks this week

• 2 weeks later...
ok, sorry for the extreme delay, had a few issues come up with certain police peoples, parties etc. its college.

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/therealoutrageous/IMG00121-20100130-1219.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/therealoutrageous/IMG00131-20100212-1551.jpg[/IMG]

I always just smoked outside when I was in college, except when i was in school in Oklahoma... their smoking laws are extreme... I would just go to IHOP.

just an FYI: hookah smoke can set off certain smoke detectors. there are some smoke detectors that analyze the opacity of the air in the room. if you start blotting out the sunshine through your windows, you may set off the alarm.

i've set off smoke alarms in a 5-star korean hotel, a ghetto korean hotel, my dorm room and my apartment....

[quote name='Arcane' date='12 February 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1266016549' post='451191']
just an FYI: hookah smoke can set off certain smoke detectors. there are some smoke detectors that analyze the opacity of the air in the room. if you start blotting out the sunshine through your windows, you may set off the alarm.

i've set off smoke alarms in a 5-star korean hotel, a ghetto korean hotel, my dorm room and my apartment....
[/quote]

smoke alarms are wierd like that. one of the ones at my parents goes off during the summer if you leave the door open too long...so effin annoying...happens like 5 times a day. glad to be moved out lol