Hey All! Noob From Ohio!

Hey everyone I'm Brian just got my first hookah last night! Never smoked one before but it interested me because I like to tinker with stuff and thought it might be a good way to relax! I got a good bargain on a 28" Syrian hookah from a local shop but I'm not so sure it was really a bargain! It is a very nice looking hookah but I cant seem to get it to smoke hardly at all and I already broke the bowl and had to go buy a new bowl.lol

welcome. Check out all the threads on how to do stuff, we got plenty of videos as well.

Its not hard to do, just takes a bit of practice. OR you can also jump into tinychat and people will SHOW you how to do it. :)

Well I have wasted 3 bowls of tobacco and a half roll of coals and about all it get is one tiny puff of smoke per draw? lol.. Have checked for leaks and don't seem to find any like I have read to do. I am using 3 kings fast lite coals as thats all my shop carries. I have watched the videos here and youtube still nothing more than a small puff after a huge pull. I don't know if its just noobness or if my hookah is really that crappy. Edited by brian5470

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1344224667' post='553445']
If you're still around right now, brian, I'd be willing to hop into the tinychat to help you out since you're having issues. I'll be in for about an hour.

And welcome to the forum!
[/quote]

Sorry I missed you and thanks for your offer to help! I'm thinking I need all the help I can get lol

ok first hint. without the bowl on the top of the hookah. block the top hole with your hand and try to draw in on the hose port. If he got his hookah someplace local it may not have a ball in the purge valve. :) CArefully and with your hand under it to catch the ball if there is one, unscrew your purge valve and see if there is a little ball bearing.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1344278921' post='553482']
ok first hint. without the bowl on the top of the hookah. block the top hole with your hand and try to draw in on the hose port. If he got his hookah someplace local it may not have a ball in the purge valve. :) CArefully and with your hand under it to catch the ball if there is one, unscrew your purge valve and see if there is a little ball bearing.
[/quote]

Yep the purge actually works good. I don't have any noticeable leaks.

and you have tried plugging the end of the hose and seeing if it's air tight? move it around while you do this.

If these are not your issue you are packign or coalign it wrong.

Tell me, when you pack the bowl and put on the foil, and poke the holes in the foil, can you draw air through the bottom of the bowl? I mean a real smooth, unblocked flow of air? If not you are packing the bowl too tight.

Found the problem took the hose off this afternoon and tried blowing through it and felt quite a bit of resistance. So I went to my local shop and picked up a new hose and the guy checked out my old hose and was shocked at how restricted it was. Being a noob I guess I never thought about the hose being plugged as the problem. I mean when you would draw it would make lots of bubbles in the vase and all. I am now using the new hose and making pretty decent clouds! I decided to run something through the factory hose and out came something that looked like dried glue.

ah. didn tget to that yet. When they glue tha handles on there is often a blob that can restrict the hose. Mya's have that about 25% of the time i'd say. I keep a long metal rod especially for checking new hoses. Glad you got the problem.

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see ya in TC sometime. I'm more than willing to show you some things. I'll actually be in there tonight at 11:30PM Central time. I'll show you how I pack a bowl and everything.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone