Tea...

Coleman

Hassouni, as I promised, this is all the different teas I have currently

The box of Alwazah is exactly the one I use for Iraqi style tea

I purchase it at middle eastern market in Harrisonburg

Don't even get me started on Tea. I have darjeeling, Irish Breakfast, English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Genmai Cha, Hoji Cha, Camomile, Pomegranite, Sleepy time, Chai Tea, Mint, etc etc. Plus three different styles of tea sets, four infusers, and all that fun tea jazz.

It is terrible, since down the street there is an Teavana. D:

OK as promised, here we go:

IMG_8055_zps35993b15.jpg​

In vague L-R order:

• Numi's collection assorted teabags
  • Numi Emperor's Pu-Erh 
  • Numi Rooibos (Numi is run by my first cousins once removed, so yeah, big ups to them!)
  • Celestial seasonings lemon zinger - because sometimes you need something when you're sick or tired
  • Sencha teabags for cold brewed iced green tea
  • white bag: Chinese green tea w jasmine
  • tan colored tin: Tieguanyin oolong
  • metal tin 1: Longjing aka Dragonwell, one of the prized Chinese greens
  • metal tin 2: Chinese white tea I can't remember, probably bai mu dan or silver needle
  • green bag standing up: Ito En Ichibantsumi Sencha (Japanese Green)
  • green tin: Chinese gunpowder green tea, used exclusively for Moroccan mint tea
  • green bag lying down: Yamamotoyama sencha - run of the mill Japanese green tea
  • Yellow box - some foofoo teas given to my mom as a gift, fruity, white tea, whatever. Good but silly
  • White bag on box: Chinese oolong of some sort
  • Whitish bag in front of box: very high grade Sencha a friend brought me from Kyoto
  • Bag of herbs: maramiyya, or desert sage, as used by Jordanian bedouins
  • Bag on top of red box: mugicha teabags, or barley tea, also for cold brewing
  • Red box: Alwazah FBOP1 with cardamom
  • orange bag: Yamamotoyama houjicha, or roasted green tea. It's like a cross between green and black, with some malty type flavors
  • Bag on top: Çaykur Tiryaki Çayı or Turkish "addict's tea"- very high caffeine content
  • Yellow big bottom left: Çaykur Rize Çayı, run of the mill Turkish tea

Of all of these, the Alwazah and Ito En get BY FAR the most use, along with the Numi ones.

IMG_8058_zps553ee6be.jpg

Tea brewing implements: 

Turkish tea tray and Turkish tea glasses and saucers

Soviet era samovar with Japanese Bee House teapot (because it fits)

Handmade custom-ordered from Japan tokoname unglazed teapot for sencha

And not for tea, but Jordanian/Levantine super strong coffee pot

Not pictured, cheapy Chinese gaiwan for Chinese teas

IMG_8060_zpsf16b69b5.jpg

Close up of the tea tray.

• Upvote 1

Additions to what I'm now dubbing the hot drink station:

IMG_8072_zpsb59a7b56.jpg

Zojirushi 4 litre water boiler, will get water to 212, 208 (useful for coffee), 195 (oolong and a few other things), and 175 (perfect for green and white teas) degrees, will keep it hot as long as you want, and has a 7 hour sleep function for when you go to bed. At the end of 7 hours it heats water up again, just in time for your morning caffeine fix! I've wanted one of these for years, and finally with my own place I have an excuse. I'm using this instead of a kettle now.

The small thing in front is the gaiwan I mentioned, which I haven't used in years. To the right of the samovar is an Omani coffee pot, presumably decorative.  All the teapots (including the gaiwan) and most of the coffee stuff go in a cabinet, but the tea lives in a container below the hot water/samovar station, so it's my de facto tea area and coffee prep station now. (I feel we need a coffee geek thread too...)

Yeah, and yours has a dial. Mine is Soviet vintage, made in Russia, and only has on (FIERCE BOIL) or off. Kind of annoying, but apparently the Russian saying is "smart human, stupid machine" vs otherwise. (Of course, with Zojirushi, the Japanese fall under smart human AND smart machine...)

i actually saw a samovar bottom at an antique shop some time back but it was old school, coal fired and i dont think i would have been to popular with my wife working that one in the house.

Damn, that's a lot of caffeine!

I have a caffeine level that has to be maintained. Caffeine withdrawal sucks major ass. And besides I work 12 hr nights so.I was gettin my body ready to come back to work tonight

So the white tea I was wondering about in the metal tin is almost certainly Baihao Yinzhen, which I'm drinking now, brewed in the Gaiwan with 175º water out of the Zojirushi. So far I've done 3 infusions and it's holding up very well.  Currently brewing a 4th.  

• 3 weeks later...

well last night it was a pot of "royal tea"  a russian brand i purchase at the euromarkets  in harrisonburg,  while at work the past few days it was some alwazah, and some sadaf with cardamom.  not sure what tonight is going to hold, hey hassouni, what would you recommend to pair with some zaghoul in the km.

Lapsang souchong, or VERY strong Alwazah (like, steeped over heat for half an hour, Iraqi style)

Thanks I will go with the lapsang souchong, that is a favorite of mine anyway