Reviewing Scalliwag's natural coals

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for such a thorough review and going to all the effort with the pics and all. What a gorgeous setting where you live!!! Texas may be big, but most of it is flat and ugly! Fortunately a lot of the gals don't fit the same description!!! (some do though )I got a kick out of this pic! Now that is some serios smoking bro! You are pumping it out of both nostrils too! Great job![img]http://h4.x0r.net/hookah/IMG_0805-1.JPG[/img]

I'm tellin ya man, Scalli's All Natural Coals paired with one of Tyler's custom PVC hoses pwns all other setups in the face. The smoke was killer. That wasn't even a big hit.TYLER

[quote name='pauldavis']here is my initial logo design....simple, but i still have the raw layer data, so everything can be changed with ease[/quote] I need a pirate and a parrot! That looks way too classy for me Seriously, I want a humorous tone though. That is nice though.

[quote name='Ain Soph Aur']That amount of smoke in the lungs CANNOT be healthy. Man that is crazy.[/quote] Haha!!! At least I am not the only one that was thinking that! Man that is a LOT of smoke. So Tyler, does the hose stay cloudy looking now or can you still see that coming thru it pretty good? I'd shit myself if I blew that much smoke on one hit. I back off on the hits or move the coalto the edge when mine starts smoking that strong. It's nice because it's not getting harsh, but the buzz makes my ears ring nearly once it hits a certain point. We need a thread for best smoke pics and vids!!! That one is worthy of a thread of it's own!

What kind of torch do you recommend using for these? I am stupid and don't understand people's descriptions for preparing these on a stove. I just put them in a regular cooking pot? Anyone have any experience with the Bernzomatic st900d ? mini torch? Something bigger more appropriate?

anything with the word "torch" to describe it would be sufficient. You want to start slow on the heat and watch for popping. Start at least the first few outside until you get the hang on it. If you put a high flame to a cool coal to quick it acts a little like a quicklight. But it can pop some nasty little ambers.

[quote name='frontmanpb101']the puffy clouds i've wanted to play in since i was a weeeee little lad?  [/quote] not "what", "who" (but it's good to know I was not the only one want to get some cloud action when I was a tyke!)

Guest Abide
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! Ive been smoking for quite a while now, tangier's, AF, AF gold, AA, Layalina, AW, and some others. Ive used bowls from clay to glass, and coals from abu hitam, nour, and the natural ones. I even use the giant Mya wide-hoses and ive NEVER seen a cloud like that without it being so harsh i was right on the verge of throwing up a lung or two. Anyone still have some sample coals, ill paypal for shipping!

Not to diss Scalli's coals or anything, but i get pretty much the same volume of smoke with quicklights, too. It's all in how you pack the bowl and poke the holes like pizza slices like in my pic, and place 2 quicklights opposite each other on the bowl and so they're sitting half off the bowl.I did start off smoking hookah with a friend who grew up in Saudi, I dunno, maybe that has something to do with it.Or it could be the altitude -- I'm at 7,000 feet.But whatever it is, that was most definitely not an uncommonly larger amount of smoke than a typical shisha session.Scalliwag's coals are much much much smoother and cleaner-tasting than any others I've tried, though.EDIT: Yeah Scalli, the hose is clear as the crisp mountain air in Colorado.TYLER

Guest Abide
hmmm maybe it is just that nice dry high altitude, im stuck down here in Louisiana it's 9PM, 88* feels like 97* 63% humidity......living in a walk in humidor could be making the difference ha ha! Maybe ill try to bring my hookah on the next ski trip!

• 5 weeks later...
1)Hookah type and size of bowl - Stargate Single Hose non-rotating Hookah with medium standard Stargate Egyptian bowl.2)Brand, flavor and age of shisha - I have tried this with Havana, King Moassel, Starbuzz, Al Fakher, Tangiers and Al Waha. All of it well within the two year sell by date.3)Ease of lighting and method used- I have tried several methods of lighting coals. First was trying to just heat them in an oven. I had very little success with this method. Next, I purchased a very basic Bernzomatic torch to heat the coals with. Though awkward at first, this became easy to use with a little practice of burning random things in the back yard. May all the aluminum cans, twigs, dry leaves and rocks rest in piece. Lastly, I tried using our gas stove's burning to light the coals. This seems to be the easiest method, although does not produce as nice of results as the torch.4)Weather- (hot, cold, humid, dry) The weather has been very hot, with the exception of the past few days (high 60's at night, 70's - low 80's during the day. 5)Smell or taste- (any noticable taste or smell? Good/Bad?) I cannot taste the coals whatsoever. Burning them does produce a very pleasant smell though. Oddly, yet thankfully, this is not transfered over to taste.6)How long coal lasted- (how long was the coal useable or before you had to add another coal?) - Coals must be replaced about every 30-45 minutes depending on coal size. Ash is very fluffly and light and will blow about very easily.7)How much ashing or moving the coal around - I would mostly leave the coals where they were because of the messy ashing.8)How long it took to smoke good - Very quickly as the coals start off hottest and then cool down. Seems to be much different than quick lighting coals which seem to have a bell curve hotness. Light heat at first, then very strong heat that tends to die off. 9)Comparison with other coals - This is the only natural coal I have experience with.10) Size and shape of coal tested- (disk, finger, oblong 1", 2") All of the above produced roughly the same results. Personal preference, with no scientific reasoning, is disk shaped coals. 11) Screen or foil- (if foil, how many and how big were the holes?) I used screens every time but once with no noticible difference. Holes were very small in a spiral shape.12) Headache or ?- (anything feel different than your current favorite coals?) - No headache here, boys and girls!13) Overall judgement- Go into detail the likes and dislikes and reasons and anything that could make it better. - The only thing I can think of to make this a better coal is to make myself less lazy. Because I am a creature of wanting to do things that require the least amount of work, I am wondering how often I would use these. The coals are also very messy as they blacken the hands. This comes off with no problem with water. I think price might dictate how often I would buy these coals. If I somehow knew if these were healthier than quick lighting coals, I would probably be more prone to use them. Scalliwag, you did good!Over all rating: 8.5/10 . Nothing functionally wrong with them, but my laziness gives these coals a lower rating than what it probably deserves. Mad crazy dope stupid-fly props to Scalliwag for the free schwag. Peace be with you, my good man!