Reviewing Scalliwag's natural coals

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S-Wag: Do you have a recommended way of getting the coals lit? Also, I am just curious if you sent all of them out yet. I haven't received mine, yet. However, I do not fault you because our post office is incredibly inefficient for being a larger city.Where can one buy bernzomatic torches? Are they really worth it? I think if I had one, I'd probably melt everything in side. Huzzah!

[quote name='pauldavis']i don't know if this would work or not...i have never used natural coals...but a sterno gell thing may work to light a coal[/quote] Do those have an odor? I have seen them at banquets and a few parties under food tray racks but never paid much attention to them. A few of the hookah retailers FAQ's say to put them directly on the heating element on a regular electric stove. That would really jack up a smooth top (ceramic) stove though. Hopefully some of the folks that received these have used natural coals successfully and have something to compare to. Skimo had luck at least until he changed his lighting method from what I can tell. I need a video camera with either a memory card or USB. I will try and see if since I have a 1 gig memory card for my digital camera if it will let me shoot longer video now. If so I will video my method of lighting. If you watched the video I posted you can see the coal lit at the edges and burned towards the center. But that was okay because there was more than enough of it burning.To recap here is a pic and size of the coal and then the vid. Remember the size of the coal while watching the vid. There was nothing special about this coal, it was just lit good. For the size of the coal if it was burning all the way through at once it would have been way to much heat.[img]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/coal17.JPG[/img][url="http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/mescoal02.MPG"]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/mescoal02.MPG [/url]

[quote name='ghostofdavid']S-Wag: Do you have a recommended way of getting the coals lit? Also, I am just curious if you sent all of them out yet. I haven't received mine, yet. However, I do not fault you because our post office is incredibly inefficient for being a larger city.  Where can one buy bernzomatic torches? Are they really worth it? I think if I had one, I'd probably melt everything in side. Huzzah![/quote] I sent them all out. What is your zipcode? I had to delete a bunch of PM's and don't have the addy anymore. I can check my receipt and get the confirmation number. As far as lighting my best and quickest was the sideburner of the grill. I removed the cast iron thangy that you would sit a pot on and laid it on top of the burner until it got pretty hot and then picked it up with my stainless BBQ tongs (cleaned very well first) and held it over the flame about a minute or two. blew on it a few times since that helps get it going quicker and that was the one in the vid.

[quote name='pauldavis']so when are you going to start selling these?[/quote] Once I can find out if these are as good or better than the other natural coals out there now. That is the biggest question at this point. That is where I rely heavily on the guys that are already familiar. We have all read threads of the complaints as far as hassle with natural coals so that is nothing new. In the big scheme of things they really have to be compared with naturals since no natural is ever going to light as easily as a quicklight where you can catch it on fire with a couple of matches in some cases. If there was one it would burn way too quickly. Skimo and I both had great success when we used open flame burners. Up and running within 5 minutes. The coals I am testing them to later are "El-Wady".

dude im fuckin pissed, i left my hookah on the grill table outside and the dog chewed the fuck out my house and ripped the coal bag open, i have like 5 coals left out of a whole bag, i almost killed the dog haha. so im thinking, buy a new hose or a 4 hose hookah for around 90 bucks at this smoke shop down the road?

damn that sux bro Definately replace the hose on your hookah. If the other hookah is a really good deal then get it. You can "usually do better online but....For the cost of a hose I would def fix this one though

i know but the dude was like "ill make you a better deal, its my last one so Ill drop the price for you" , only thing is i dont know if its shitty. it looks really nice but i would be highly pissed if i bought it and then it sucked haha

[quote name='skimo']i know but the dude was like "ill make you a better deal, its my last one so Ill drop the price for you" , only thing is i dont know if its shitty. it looks really nice but i would be highly pissed if i bought it and then it sucked haha[/quote]What brand/ style is it? Does it have a case? Seem easy to clean?

Hopefully this is a practical idea for using natural coals in a lounge or where a constant supply of coals are needed. Items needed- two burner propane/ natural gas auto-ignite stove $40 @ Harbor Freight[img]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/35500-35599/35561.gif[/img]Cast iron covered pot- prices vary[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00063RWYI.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg[/img]long tongs- price varies-[img]http://www.fairfaxcookshop.com/images/SS%20Long%20Tongs%20pu.jpg[/img]stainless collander- price varies (aluminum in pic )[img]http://www.seykota.com/tribe/FAQ/2003_Oct/Oct_12-18/collander.jpg[/img]Put coals in cast pot and turn on high until pretty hot depending on how many customers will determine how high you want to keep it. This gets the coals really hot without letting them burn but helps them to light very easily.Have collander on other burner. No need to keep this burner on all the time. When you are ready for some coals take desired amount from pot and with flame on under the collander put them into the collander.The hotter the coal is when you take it out the quicker it starts as soon as the air hits it. You may want to use a spatter screen over the collander because they can pop for the first minute or so at this point. The ones in the collander will be red in less than a minute especially if there is a little airflow. The holes in the collander will help tremendously in getting the coals ready.Remember to keep the cover on the pot when not taking coals out. Otherwise all your coals are going to be ready to use at the same time moreless [:(}Turn off the burner at the end of the night and leave the cover on. The remaining coals can be reheated and used on the next night.This is an easy method with very little intervention and very low coal waste.