Hookah Filters?

I don't know what the point of filtering a hookah, but most people use them for hygienic reasons when smoking in a group. I'd rather have a little bit of saliva-swapping going on than use filters or mouth tips, they always restrict the pull.

[quote name='Josh The Poet' timestamp='1285264079' post='482916']
well what is the tar levels and all that in hookah? is it different then, let's say a cigarette?
[/quote]

I don't think we truly know. Most the studies done are badly skewed one way or the other. I know Stuie reviewed most of the filters and said most of them restricted the flow.

Ray, by burning you mean literally lighting the tobacco so that it glows orange, correct? I.e., smoking a hookah and getting a bit of harshness and smoke coming out the top is still not combustion?

[quote name='kmccoy90' timestamp='1285291836' post='482948']
Ray, by burning you mean literally lighting the tobacco so that it glows orange, correct? I.e., smoking a hookah and getting a bit of harshness and smoke coming out the top is still not combustion?
[/quote]

correct, on fire real smoke billowing out.my in-laws smoked for years and everything in their house was covered in a yellow film(tar). With hookah there is no tar because there is no flame.
Ray

The only filters I will ever use are the ones my Grandpa uses. Its basically like a cigarette filter. Its just a housing for cotton. I have not noticed any restriction of airflow but I guess it helps reduce your nicotine intake.