Harsh Smoke?

For some reason, the smoke that comes out of my hookah is always harsh. It's been working fine for almost a year, then out of the blue it starts smoking harsh. I've switched around hoses, and i've experimented with different shisha. My bowl has black marks from burnt shisha around the top edges, but that has never caused problems, but i spent about 30 minutes scrubbing the stains off anyway and it hasn't changed. One thing to note is that i washed my hookah with water several times before i found out that it damages the hookah.
Anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Please and thank you :)

I wash and scrub my hookah regularly and never had any problems. Did you try a fresh batch of shisha? maybe the one you are using now is old and may have lost some juices. Have you tried putting fewer coals on your bowl? Also check for air leaks (different methods on how to do this). Finally check if the smoke is actually being cooled by the water in the vase.
Other than that.... maybe change coal brand?

[quote name='anathain' date='14 May 2010 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1273871140' post='468104']
One thing to note is that i washed my hookah with water several times before i found out that it damages the hookah.
[/quote]

arnt you supposed to wash your hookah regularly?

[quote name='anathain' date='15 May 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1273871140' post='468104']One thing to note is that i washed my hookah with water several times before i found out that it damages the hookah.[/quote]

Unless your cleaning method involves a hammer, I don't see how cleaning a hookah could damage it.

Have you switched the quantity or brand of coals you use?

Describe your method from packing to smoking. That might give some insight into the problem.

If you haven't changed coal amounts or shisha batches and just randomly got harsh smoke I'd say you could have a downstem leak, especially if it's a hookah with a removable downstem. This would cause you to pull some smoke directly from the bowl before it passes through the water.

even if you haven't changed coals, the coals may have changed. Charcoal isn't a big money maker and the quality can vary from brand to brand and from batch to batch. You have to be able to adjust for how the bowl is smoking instead of just using the same amount every time without thinking.

Really? I was told using water can cause some long term damage, but then again it hasn't caused problems for me before, so I still do it.

I usually just stick to quick lighting coals, mostly three kings, and they work fine. I put two of the smaller coals, i forget the actual size. When it gets harsh i take one off, but it doesn't seem to help much anymore.

As for the shisha, I bought a new box of shisha and it still comes out harsh.

If anything, I think the problem may be the fact that my stopper for my bowl was totally messed up. My brother burned the edges and it doesn't hold as tight as it used to, so i put foil to fill the empty space.

When I pack it, i use two different methods. Of course, I just place the shisha in there and, in a way, stir it around to make it even and "fluffy" in the bow, and i make sure it doesn't touch the foil. Another way I have packed it is making an "O" in the bowl, leaving the center almost empty. Then i place the holes around the sides, and no holes in the center. When I pack this way, i don't bother with the shisha touching the foil, since it actually came out smoother when it did.

[quote name='anathain' date='16 May 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1274035094' post='468328']
Really? I was told using water can cause some long term damage, but then again it hasn't caused problems for me before, so I still do it.

I usually just stick to quick lighting coals, mostly three kings, and they work fine. I put two of the smaller coals, i forget the actual size. When it gets harsh i take one off, but it doesn't seem to help much anymore.

As for the shisha, I bought a new box of shisha and it still comes out harsh.

[b]If anything, I think the problem may be the fact that my stopper for my bowl was totally messed up. My brother burned the edges and it doesn't hold as tight as it used to, so i put foil to fill the empty space.
[/b]
When I pack it, i use two different methods. Of course, I just place the shisha in there and, in a way, stir it around to make it even and "fluffy" in the bow, and i make sure it doesn't touch the foil. Another way I have packed it is making an "O" in the bowl, leaving the center almost empty. Then i place the holes around the sides, and no holes in the center. When I pack this way, i don't bother with the shisha touching the foil, since it actually came out smoother when it did.
[/quote]

Sounds like the bowl grommet might have been burned. I'd use wet toliet paper/papertowel to seal it up. It makes sense if its burning. The bowl is leaking, clouds won't be as big, so you will have more coal on for longer, and end up burning the bowl.

wait, you start with 2 33mm 3kings and smoke it til it gets harsh and then you back it off??

Um...so once you have burned the ever living hell out of it with 2 ql's and crisped the top of the tobacco, what do you expect the rest of the bowl to taste like??

[quote name='mushrat' date='17 May 2010 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1274110558' post='468397']
wait, you start with 2 33mm 3kings and smoke it til it gets harsh and then you back it off??

Um...so once you have burned the ever living hell out of it with 2 ql's and crisped the top of the tobacco, what do you expect the rest of the bowl to taste like??
[/quote]
Way too much heat.I split a 33m in half and move it around a lot and still have to back off a bit at times.
Ray

I have only ever used 1 3 Kings charcoal and it always works well for me. I would agree that it is to much heat because I would never start with 2 of them on my hookah and i have been using 3 Kings for years.

make sure the coals are fully lit, try breaking them in half and using 2 halves of the coals instead of 2 full coals. evenly distribute them on the bowl. you should be pretty good after that ;)

[quote name='mushrat' date='15 May 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1273940433' post='468179']
even if you haven't changed coals, the coals may have changed. Charcoal isn't a big money maker and the quality can vary from brand to brand and from batch to batch. You have to be able to adjust for how the bowl is smoking instead of just using the same amount every time without thinking.
[/quote]

This has happened to me before and it just happened to be three kings. I had been smoking with them for years and i bought a couple rolls one time and they tasted weird and took forever to light.

"I usually just stick to quick lighting coals, mostly three kings, and they work fine. I put two of the smaller coals, i forget the actual size. When it gets harsh i take one off, but it doesn't seem to help much anymore."

Starting with 2 coals is way too much heat. I think that is the problem with your bowls burning.

Just to add about the washing with water issue, i dont think anyone mentioned this. Washing your hookah ie the stem and vase with water is fine. but you CANNOT wash a non washable hose as they will rust. I think this is what you were warned against. but if you have a washable hose then you can wash that with water too :)

[quote name='the_cool' date='19 May 2010 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1274297821' post='468674']
Just to add about the washing with water issue, i dont think anyone mentioned this. Washing your hookah ie the stem and vase with water is fine. but you CANNOT wash a non washable hose as they will rust. I think this is what you were warned against. but if you have a washable hose then you can wash that with water too :)
[/quote]

I have made that mistake before it wasn't pretty!

It sounds like the coals just keep heating up and heating up and eventually the shisha gets burn't which is giving you that terrible smoke.
Once you burn the top of the shisha the rest of the bowl is going to be terrible.

A) Cut the coal in half. Instead of two whole coals, start with 2 or 3 halves and add a 4th as you see fit.
B) Double up foil.

Make sure there are no air leaks at all.

[quote name='ryno' date='17 May 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1274146461' post='468456']<br />Two full coals on a Mya bowl just seems like too much heat to me. I'd try 2 halves first and go from there<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />
+1