Wobbly Hookah....!

hi guys!

so, i moved into a new apartment and as a housewarming gift to myself, i bought a new hookah. i am smoking out of it for the first time right now, and its awesome! i've only owned a crappy pumpkin and then moved on to a mya econo. i bought a nammor azizi and its great, smokes like a charm and i love the pull that the nammor hose gives. my only complaint is that this thing is top-heavy and wobbly as fuck! im so scared its gonna tip over and break and im not sure what to do. it didnt come with a base protector thingey and of course i didnt buy one. im so used to my sturdy little mya so im kind of lost using a much bigger hookah. any ideas on how i can stabilize this thing DIY until i can buy a base protector? thanks!!!

that seemed to help a bit...i also wrapped some plastic wrap around the bottom and then put the towel. not pretty but it does the job....

this is a trick that i use in the kitchen every now and then to stabilize a bowl if i'm stirring something in with one hand and pouring that something in with the other hand and i need the mixing bowl not to move: damp dish towel in a crescent or full circle with the mixing bowl placed within that. basically the bottom of the bowl is barely touching the counter and the towel is around all the sides preventing it from shifting. try this on a larger scale with a small bath towel or a large hand towel or something (if you're going to be on tile or laminate flooring or something, this obviously won't do anything on carpet...)

[quote name='twoapplesplease' date='30 March 2010 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1269937627' post='460753']
milk crate and small bungee cords...lol.....its what i use to smoke hookah on long road trips
[/quote]

lol... classy.

I'd recommend buying some of those little stick-on, felt/rubber feet for your base. Normally I suggest a base protector to 1) Protect the base and 2) Eliminate wobbles. But since your base is not a traditional, bell-shaped base, a normal base protector won't fit.

Try the feet. It will work better and look better. :)

Build a Stabilizer.

2 small pieces of plywood and some large Dowel Rods to make it simple and a few screws

Cut 2 large circles out the plywood. Cut a hole in one in the center. for your stem to go through.

Just cut the dowel rods to height you need (an inch or so below the hose port is good). Then just screw the dowel rods to the pieces. Paint if desired and drop the hookah in the apparatus and no tipping over.

thanks for the ideas guys! i actually have some of those little stick on rubber feet lying around somewhere (no doubt packed away in a box...but i'll find em!!). i'm gonna try that and then if it doesn't work, i'll probably go stuie's route and have my dad fashion me a stabilizer. i didn't even think of the fact that since my vase is an odd shape, that a base protector wouldnt fit. good thing you mentioned that ih303, or i would have gone and bought one and then been pissed off when it didnt fit!

uh, i JUST bought it...dont really feel like spending the money on another vase already...my philosophy is work with what you have....unless its complete shit, of course. which this vase isn't.

[quote name='Synesthesia' date='30 March 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1269928930' post='460720']
hi guys!

so, i moved into a new apartment and as a housewarming gift to myself, i bought a new hookah. i am smoking out of it for the first time right now, and its awesome! i've only owned a crappy pumpkin and then moved on to a mya econo. i bought a nammor azizi and its great, smokes like a charm and i love the pull that the nammor hose gives. my only complaint is that this thing is top-heavy and wobbly as fuck! im so scared its gonna tip over and break and im not sure what to do. it didnt come with a base protector thingey and of course i didnt buy one. im so used to my sturdy little mya so im kind of lost using a much bigger hookah. any ideas on how i can stabilize this thing DIY until i can buy a base protector? thanks!!!
[/quote]

[quote name='TizaNabi' date='06 April 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1270569982' post='462211']
[quote name='Synesthesia' date='30 March 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1269928930' post='460720']
hi guys!

[/quote]
[/quote]

You could get some kind of clay and stick the base right into it while on the floor. Then decide if you want to put it in a kiln, glaze it or add colours. Or Play dough.

honestly if the feet dont work I'd go to walmart and buy a $1 white towel and just wrap it around the outside of the hookah, should stabilize it and its cheap as hell!

[quote name='Synesthesia' date='05 April 2010 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1270525911' post='462119']
uh, i JUST bought it...dont really feel like spending the money on another vase already...my philosophy is work with what you have....unless its complete shit, of course. which this vase isn't.
[/quote]

Hmmm. I agree. No need to buy a new vase... I had a terribly wobbly vase on a chinese backup I used. Like everyone else suggested for you, I just went out and bought a cheap beach towel.

Also, I've tried this and it works pretty well. Look on the underside of your mouse pad. It should have that foamy bathroom floor protector, or rubber. Makes for a pretty good base.