Black Spots In Bottom Of Base ... Help

I have been using the same base for about 2.5 years now and I noticed a couple months back there were some black spots on the bottom, inside the base tghat wont wash off ... i was wondering if anyone would know what they are and if they could be dangerous??? thanks

It does sound like it's mold or something like everyone else is saying. Bases really aren't that expensive. I would buy I new one before I smoked out of it again, but that's just me.

QUOTE (combs08 @ Jul 11 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does sound like it's mold or something like everyone else is saying. Bases really aren't that expensive. I would buy I new one before I smoked out of it again, but that's just me.

nah, bleach will de-molecularise the mold, making it disappear altogether, not just become invisible.

QUOTE (dank7oo @ Jul 11 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wait ... so how would i bleach it so its safe to smoke from again??

You can always use a little bit of bleach and swirl it around, or you can dilute it with water. Just make sure you rinse it out really really good

QUOTE (ryno @ Jul 11 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can always use a little bit of bleach and swirl it around, or you can dilute it with water. Just make sure you rinse it out really really good

and will thebleach also get rid of the discoloration??

QUOTE (fineout @ Jul 11 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes it will, id suggest getting a vase brush and clean it out more often as to make sure that it doesnt happen again

yeah i was just rinsing it out after each use with hot water and lemon juice but i guess i needed to be scrubbing it down as well

actually on that note ... for cleaning a nammor hose ... is the best way to rinse it and let it air dry?

thanks smile.gif

i put mine up to a hose or shower head on the 'jet' setting and let it rip and then sometimes ill take some lemon juice and baking soda plug one end and put some lemon juice in then the baking soda then plug the other and and move the ends so it goes through the hose then rinse it out on the hose again. if i need to smoke in a few minutes ill spin the hose around in circles to force the water out but usually just hang it on a coat rack Edited by fineout

awesome, my base has the same problem after like 3 month and was wondering why i couldnt scrub it out, ill bust out the bleach

QUOTE (Sariél @ Jul 11 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before you break out the bleach, use the way=back machine and read what The Man has to say, and the technical reasons it will kill you.
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=2182

Thats just shinannigans, of course you would want to rinse the vase well and let it dry.
Theres bleach in bread too, has anyones tongue ever melted off from a peanut butter sammich?

QUOTE (dank7oo @ Jul 11 2009, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been using the same base for about 2.5 years now and I noticed a couple months back there were some black spots on the bottom, inside the base tghat wont wash off ... i was wondering if anyone would know what they are and if they could be dangerous??? thanks

Fill the base with water and mix in about 3 table spoons of salt and let it sit there for 10 minutes. All of that mold will go away.

Just try a a base brush. The black spots are often flavoring components that aren't water soluble. They are living down there as a rubbery, fried-egg consistency film. One time, I had a large vase I didn't clean for a couple of years. It was a very dark color and you couldn't see the growth on it. I ran a base brush around the waterline and removed a rubbery film that was quite thick. Nasty. The heavier components kinda fall to the bottom and stick there. There are often growths around waterline, base and in the base crevasses. The base crevasses are often very deceptive. You have to get a really springy ended brush or a brush bent outward to get into the crevasses. It looks like the bristles are getting in there, but in fact they're just glancing off the top of the slime.

+1 one on Sariel +1ing me. Bleach is a bad idea. Unless you like to risk scorched lungs and like the idea of staying in an oxygen tent for a couple of days/weeks. In the lounge, we keep bleach isolated and away from the production area at all times. We only use bleach to clean the soda machine...which the drain to often has the same green/black slime in it...from soda. Its common in lots of flavored things.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 11 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just try a a base brush. The black spots are often flavoring components that aren't water soluble. They are living down there as a rubbery, fried-egg consistency film. One time, I had a large vase I didn't clean for a couple of years. It was a very dark color and you couldn't see the growth on it. I ran a base brush around the waterline and removed a rubbery film that was quite thick. Nasty. The heavier components kinda fall to the bottom and stick there. There are often growths around waterline, base and in the base crevasses. The base crevasses are often very deceptive. You have to get a really springy ended brush or a brush bent outward to get into the crevasses. It looks like the bristles are getting in there, but in fact they're just glancing off the top of the slime.

+1 one on Sariel +1ing me. Bleach is a bad idea. Unless you like to risk scorched lungs and like the idea of staying in an oxygen tent for a couple of days/weeks. In the lounge, we keep bleach isolated and away from the production area at all times. We only use bleach to clean the soda machine...which the drain to often has the same green/black slime in it...from soda. Its common in lots of flavored things.

+1, listen to the man. he can blind you with science, and save your ass with it at the same time.

Brewing supply houses have some potent cleaners I'd trust. I brew
beer and use the oxidizing cleaners for nasty organic stuff. Let it
soak a while, triple rinse and air dry. Should be fine. I can get some
spectacular residues from a fruit flavored brew.

QUOTE (ryno @ Jul 11 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This guy DID allow his hookah base to become an algae / mildew infested cesspool of nasty "make me lol at the thread title"ness.

So, be sure to really wash it out good after the bleaching, NOT how you "used to clean" your mildewy jar sir biggrin.gif