Cracked Hookah Base...

So I was going to smoke today and I filled up my hookah with water. I started smoking and noticed water droplets all around one side of the hookah. I didn't think anything of it because it was really hot outside with cold water in the base. Then I noticed water starting to seep out. When i looked closer, there was a crack about 3 inches long along the side towards the bottom.

Is there any quick way to fix this? Money's tight and I can't afford a new hookah right now.

QUOTE (rhineholt @ Jun 21 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I was going to smoke today and I filled up my hookah with water. I started smoking and noticed water droplets all around one side of the hookah. I didn't think anything of it because it was really hot outside with cold water in the base. Then I noticed water starting to seep out. When i looked closer, there was a crack about 3 inches long along the side towards the bottom.

Is there any quick way to fix this? Money's tight and I can't afford a new hookah right now.

Sorry man, hope you can keep it intact long enough for you to buy a new one.

Well...gorilla glue?

I have no idea. If worse comes to worse, take it to home depot and ask them "WHAT DO I DO!?!? sad.gif"

That's what I would do. Edited by FamiliarJoe

Go to pier one or a dollar store and look for a cheap vase, you can try and seal the crack but most likely it will just work its way around the seal and completely break. For what its worth just pick up a new base. You will end up spending the same amount trying to fix it. Just take a break for a week or two.

QUOTE (FamiliarJoe @ Jun 22 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...gorilla glue?

I have no idea. If worse comes to worse, take it to home depot and ask them "WHAT DO I DO!?!? sad.gif"

That's what I would do.

It still smokes fine which is the funny part, i just have to keep filling it every 5 min or so... which gets really annoying. Also, I can't empty the chamber of smoke because when I blow out the water comes out the sides! >.<

QUOTE (rhineholt @ Jun 21 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...gorilla glue?

I have no idea. If worse comes to worse, take it to home depot and ask them "WHAT DO I DO!?!? sad.gif "

That's what I would do.

It still smokes fine which is the funny part, i just have to keep filling it every 5 min or so... which gets really annoying. Also, I can't empty the chamber of smoke because when I blow out the water comes out the sides! >.<

You really should get a new base as soon as you can but in the meantime........ Take a thin plastic bag, like those cheapie 20 gallon kitchen can bags. Just make sure it's nothing but plastic because it seems like now they add chemicals to prevent odors and stuff, and you want a pure plastic bag. Stick the corner of the bag into the base and start filling it with water until the bag drops down and expands all the way into the base. Fill it to the top with water, then cut off the rest of the bag leaving at least a few inches hanging out. Fold it down over the lip and tape it down around the neck of the base. Instant vase liner. If the bag is very thin, it will only make it a little more difficult to wiggle the stem into the base though it might require a little more elbow grease or some oil on the stem gasket. It's a very temporary solution but it will work until you can get a new vase.

'Rani

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ Jun 21 2009, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...gorilla glue?

I have no idea. If worse comes to worse, take it to home depot and ask them "WHAT DO I DO!?!? sad.gif "

That's what I would do.

You really should get a new base as soon as you can but in the meantime........ Take a thin plastic bag, like those cheapie 20 gallon kitchen can bags. Just make sure it's nothing but plastic because it seems like now they add chemicals to prevent odors and stuff, and you want a pure plastic bag. Stick the corner of the bag into the base and start filling it with water until the bag drops down and expands all the way into the base. Fill it to the top with water, then cut off the rest of the bag leaving at least a few inches hanging out. Fold it down over the lip and tape it down around the neck of the base. Instant vase liner. If the bag is very thin, it will only make it a little more difficult to wiggle the stem into the base though it might require a little more elbow grease or some oil on the stem gasket. It's a very temporary solution but it will work until you can get a new vase.

'Rani

That's a hell of an idea.

It just may work biggrin.gif

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ Jun 21 2009, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...gorilla glue?

That's what I would do.

'Rani

Ohhhh wow. That sounds like a great idea. I'll try that. Thanks!

QUOTE (hookah hippie @ Jun 22 2009, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
damn rani did you watch Mcgiver a lot?

LOL..... Nope. Much as I'd love to bask in the brilliance you're all accrediting me....... Plumbing pipes are being repaired through lining technology in which plastic and epoxy liners are inserted into pipes to seal the damage from small cracks, etc. Since I've spent a lot of time as a plumbing project manager, it was just a natural progression. Simple logic from anyone with my background.

'Rani

QUOTE (rhineholt @ Jun 22 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where did you get your hookah?...what website...and which brand is it?...

QUOTE (Latin_hookah @ Jun 22 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rhineholt @ Jun 22 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where did you get your hookah?...what website...and which brand is it?...

That's the thing... I didn't buy it off a site. It bought it from a store. It was pretty cheap, aroun 30 bucks for a 28" hookah. It worked amazingly well and that was also before I came to this website and heard of KM's and Mya's.
I don't think it has a brand... >.<

The liner idea is cool! Seems hard to get it to cling to the sides though?

While I don't have any input on a permanent repair, here's what I've done in the past for a very quick but satisfactory solution:

Get a bowl with a flat bottom that's sides are higher than the water level would be in the hookah (dollar store is a great source for this), and put the hookah in the bowl. Fill the bowl with water to match the level inside the hookah, and voila, your hookah is in equilibrium with the outside water level and it won't lose water anymore.

We got by on our leaky one for over a month this way before we bought a new one...

QUOTE (Brandon` @ Jun 22 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DUCT TAPE.

I agree, Duct Tape or go to a cheap store and find something glass with the same size hole, like Target.

Alternately, you could try a lot of super glue, make a bead along the crack. Wait 36 hours and try it. Alternately, you could get marine epoxy. Make sure you get the marine epoxy that "cures underwater", do it and wait 48 hours. Thats a little more dangerous.

i have done this and it does work, my base of my first hookah broke 3 days after buying, what we did was got some guerrilla glue and put it over the crack and then put a piece of duct tape over it, worked for 2 solid years until i dropped it lol, RIP

but that should do it for you