So You Want To Make A Mya Purge.

indian_villager

Ok Folks. I got That mini Acrylic from that Ebay listing and it bugged me that I could not purge the thing. I could only get out the smoke that was up to an inch below the opening of the vase. So I went and did what I always do....Ghetto rig!

Materials:
Small Mya Pipe
Bendy straw (must be bendy or you will be heavily restricted)
twist tie, string, zip tie,

Tools:
Scissors
Hands

Time:
3 mins tops!

First Remove the purge valve from the stem (simply unscrew)
Next Take your bendy straw and cut the part that goes into your mouth so that there is only about 1/4" of straw past the bendy joint.

Then insert the 1/4"nub into the bottom of the purge valve

Put the straw through the hole in the stem where the purge valve screws in and push through untill you can screw the valve back on.

Now screw in your down tube and twist tie the straw to the down tube (make sure not to crush the straw or else it will cause a lot of back pressure)

Now cut the straw so that the end of it sits about 1"-1.25" above the bottom of the downtube!

Thats all. Happy smoking!

cool! does it work efficiently well though? because i see that you don't seal up the connection between the straw and the purge valve so I'm not sure if all of the smoke goes out of it, does it leak?

Presumably you could tape that, no?

I'm definitely going to have to try this with my mini-mya. Whenever I take it out I have flexi straws with me anyway to use as a diffuser, so this shouldn't be too big of a fix. When I try it I'll write up a review for your hack tongue.gif

The seal doesn't really matter because the point of purging is to make a leak by means of check valve! The open end at the other side of the staw can dump the pressure generated in the vase faster so it will dump out nicely. I can get the vase to look like it did just before the first pull after purging. The only thing is that when you smoke a few drops of water splashes up into the straw and when you purge it comes out. Its no bigge! But yea the setup woks amazingly!

QUOTE (clickhea @ Nov 26 2008, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my straw doesnt fit inside the valve :|

yeah, looks like you're purge valve there might be bigger than the one on my qt... but hey, i haven't tried doing this yet.. probably will once i can find a bendy straw laying around somewhere...

I love the idea and I tried it out on my Syrian but I couldnt get the straw to run down into the base... to much stuff to screw on. I think I may try it with some brass piping and make more of a permanent fix

are you getting a weird taste or like deadly buzz from this? I am asking because when I used 4 straws as a defuser in my down pipe they got hot and started giving off fumes which was no good.

QUOTE (voski @ Dec 7 2008, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you getting a weird taste or like deadly buzz from this? I am asking because when I used 4 straws as a defuser in my down pipe they got hot and started giving off fumes which was no good.

I don't see how he would, the smoke won't touch the straw till after it's been cooled through the water.

See you put the straws where the heat had more direct contact with the straw....If you keep it up I feel you will have cancer in a week. But when hooked up to the purge valve the straw is faced with almost no heat because my vase is usually filled with ice.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
i saw ur way of doing this and its pretty intense compared to my way of doing it cost nothing cause who doesn't have ballons laying around
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/Blitzbolt/72aafc98.jpg[/IMG]

works amazing and also has a great sound effect like a farting hippo if u blow really hard

I think you missed the point of what IV was doing. He had a purge valve but it just didn't clear the base very well.

I'm going to use the balloon method on my pipes that already have purge valves, just for the fart sounds.

[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1327460974' post='536582']
i saw ur way of doing this and its pretty intense compared to my way of doing it cost nothing cause who doesn't have ballons laying around
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/Blitzbolt/72aafc98.jpg[/img]

works amazing and also has a great sound effect like a farting hippo if u blow really hard
[/quote]

Does it clear the base completely of any smoke?

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1327618943' post='536737']
[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1327460974' post='536582']
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/Blitzbolt/72aafc98.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Does it clear the base completely of any smoke?
[/quote]

If it makes a fart noise when purging, does it matter if it clears all the smoke?