Tea In The Base

I read something about this in another thread and was wondering if any of you put tea in your base? I just checked if a tea bag would steep in water so i filled 2 glasses, one with slightly hot water (water from the HOT tap) and one with room temp water. the teabag obviously steeped in the hot water but not so much in the room temp one so dumping a teabag in the vase wouldnt do much... So heres something.. why not try pouring a mug of almost-boiling water, steep the teabag in it for around 5 mins, fill the base with lukewarm water and pour the mug (with teabag and all) into the vase..maybe it would give an extra flavor. i tried some wild berry tea and it tasted like it would go well with strawberry or another berry (who'd have thought tongue.gif).. Edited by mathuv

I've always wanted to try Arizona southern style sweet tea in the base and peach shisha

I myself haven't done any tea in the base but have heard good things about it.. give it a shot and let us know!

edit.. now that I think about it.. not so sure how near boiling water (even diluted w/ lukewarm water) would affect the smoke. maybe try the refrigerated kinds of tea? Edited by bjelder

Tea is one of my favs to put in the vase. I use the tea that was left over from the night before and use it in the morning when it is room temp. I only use tea leaves, and I have many flavors that complement the tobacco very well.

QUOTE (bjelder @ Apr 14 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always wanted to try Arizona southern style sweet tea in the base and peach shisha

I myself haven't done any tea in the base but have heard good things about it.. give it a shot and let us know!

edit.. now that I think about it.. not so sure how near boiling water (even diluted w/ lukewarm water) would affect the smoke. maybe try the refrigerated kinds of tea?

well its only a mug..for a whole vase full of cold water. but for a stronger taste, you could make more and refrigerate it overnight i guess

The teabag will steep in cold water if it's sloshing around in the vase.

If you use several, not only will it add an overwhelming flavor, but it also acts as a diffuser. Between the bag and the leaves, it might even absorb more contaminants than a heba diffuser.

Koolaid works well, too; you can end up with some pretty good combinations that make different shisha flavors a whole new experience. I'm going to try mixing a
packet directly into some shisha when I start smoking again.

I mentioned this in another thread, but spices also do wonders. Sprinkle mint flakes in the bottom and you'll get a mint taste that tastes like an Altoid. Cinnamon will spice up your double apple shisha. Dilluting a few tablespoons of sugar into your base will add a sweetness to the smoke.

Anyone think I should write gourmet hookah recipes...? Edited by teq

QUOTE (bryankphotography @ Apr 14 2008, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (teq @ Apr 14 2008, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to try mixing a
packet directly into some shisha when I start smoking again.

wacko.gif

I got 250g of Nakhla orange that dried out. It tastes like crap, so I didn't bother to store it properly. Luckily it was free.

I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt it any to add artificial flavoring. After all, it can't taste any worse than it does.

not a bad idea...I think I'm gonna add some Egyptian Licorice Spice tea next time I smoke Double Apple

Pharohs double apple has a strong licorice taste to it. Sounds like it would go well with that tea.

Pinch of Chamomile in the bowl is great with a fruit flavor.

Love arizona in the base.

half a stick of cinnamon, minced in the bowl will knock your socks off.

Mint leaves work great in base or bowl.

One of my favorite Christmas bowls is

In the bowl Double Apple, 1/4 stick of cinnamon minced

In the base 6 ounces of apple cider, 2 sticks of cinnamon and 10 Cloves, the rest water. Tastes amazing if you let the base mixture soak over night in the fridge, the water and cider start to absorb the clove and cinnamon taste.

What you get is Christmas Cider!