60 replies to this topic

#21 Voski

Voski

Grand Sultan - Sultan of Shisha

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

No one really watches TV at lounges. They have big plasmas or a projector playing music videos and thats about it. The music around all the LA bars I have been to is loud club music where the shortys can shake their rumps in there apple bottom jeans dance.gif . Which is a good thing if you ask me!

#22 bassman65

bassman65

Emir - Of the Emerald Argileh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

I hate when hookah bars blast club music.

#23 Voski

Voski

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Ya it got old fast but some of those chicks.... dayum.

#24 seefoodlover

seefoodlover

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

What kind of lounge are you looking to open up??? A place to party, or a place to chill, and relax, like starbux?

#25 Atlanta Explosion

Atlanta Explosion

Bey - Low Lord of the Hose.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (The Devils Playground @ Apr 3 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was at the spot Tuesday night and you know what? 200+ people seated. It was nice. Hard to compete with them dude.

On the other hand I am opening a lounge next week on 10K Yea thats it. lol But on the other hand we have a premade customer base for it also.

If you want message me I will give you some private details on what we plan to do to make us stand out even before we implement the ideas in the lounge to make you a bigger success faster.;

Wait. You're not opening that place Puff Lounge are you? No way you're getting that for $10k. They have more than that in those stupid billboards. There are 2 hookah places opening in Vegas in the same week? Paymon's is going to have some competition I guess.

#26 ilikemyusername

ilikemyusername

Bey - Low Lord of the Hose

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

forget about guppies, what you need are surgeons, tangs and triggerfish!
Posted Image thanks to my E-cig.

#27 supersubby

supersubby

Vizier - Molassed Harlequin

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (bassman65 @ Apr 3 2008, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

each lounge has different tastes...i jus can't stand alcohol and hookah the two were never ment to be mixed.

#28 erufiku

erufiku

legend

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Spanish, Old Movies... A bunch of things, really!

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (supersubby @ Apr 3 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

each lounge has different tastes...i jus can't stand alcohol and hookah the two were never ment to be mixed.

To each his/her own. I used to be no-mix but right now a beer + hookah is the weekend special wink.gif
Cigs in a hookah lounge, that I could not get over...

BTW what does the arabic on your hookah base (sig) say? I'm still learning how to read wink.gif
'Posted'Posted

#29 nathan_Choi

nathan_Choi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (supersubby @ Apr 3 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. I think a cold guiness can complement something you're smoking.

That being said, if there's already a ton of hookah bars open there, I wouldn't suggest doing it. Not many people are factoring in lease agreements, filing all the necessary paperwork, the cost of licenses... I'd venture for somewhere like LA you might need around 50k. I know a little Internet Cafe here in my town (50k people, mind you) and the guy that opened it up. I think he put around 60k total into it, but of course that includes the cost of the computers as well.

If anything, come down to where I live.... the nearest hookah lounge is 40 minutes away, by the time I get some capital and come back here after college, there will probably already be one. If not... I'm definitely gonna open one up. Assuming they don't start regulating on such places, which I suspect will be happening very soon now that the hookah and shisha is getting so popular.

#30 manic007

manic007

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (supersubby @ Apr 4 2008, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to agree. From personal experience I've learn't:

alcohol+hookah=headache

(unless I have a pint of water in-hand, but then, morroccan mint tea is so much nicer)

#31 chromecarz00

chromecarz00

life's too short not to enjoy every moment.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (erufiku @ Apr 3 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To each his/her own. I used to be no-mix but right now a beer + hookah is the weekend special wink.gif

BTW what does the arabic on your hookah base (sig) say? I'm still learning how to read wink.gif

if i read correctly, khalil mahmoon... =)
what ethneciity are ya?
" if it has breast or wheels... It will give you problems"
-V50_T5

"no one is a virgin, because life fucks you over."
-Thomas

#32 r1v3th3ad

r1v3th3ad

Nietzsche - god is dead

• Forum Elders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts
  • Interests:Passion for narghile, Paganism, Theology, Philosophy, Astrology, B.A. in history(focus in Latin America, Antebellum America, Great Depression, and War)

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

I've only experienced a few hookah bars.
Here at IUP they have a huge tv that generally plays a music station, half the time the music sucks. The other is just a big, bland place that does open mic night, otherwise, one station is on for music.
I thought it'd be cool to be able to watch something you like(but I also realize most people are locked in conversation and dont give a damn about tv). But mainly, I think music would be ideal. Make it so each one can only go so loud as to not disturb other customers around. I'd day to be able to play my own music choices while I smoke.
Everywhere I've been so far has been rather dull and dry, I thought this could lighten it up a little.

Also, I like a good beer or mixer with the hookah, its just when people are wasted when its a headache IMO

Posted Image

Previously the phone mod

#33 pyro

pyro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:The hookah, pastries, landscaping, My vegtable and herb gardens, my fruit vines and trees, and getting laid.

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (ForeverYoungENT @ Apr 3 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, I live in Los Angeles and wanted to open a Hookah lounge on Ventura Blvd. The only thing is, there are soo many around here. We have The Spot, Ramzys, Blue Cafe and many more. What can I do to mine that these lounges dont already do. Also, how much do you think it will cost me to open one up. I can get the money, I just need to know how much to get. thanks for all your help!

I think there should be a hookah lounge where I live. That would be sweet.

#34 mushrat

mushrat

Who says you have to LIKE me?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,284 posts
  • Interests:If you need to reach me my email is adbliss(at)yahoo.com.

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

I guess I should chime in. You can do it cheap, you can do it fancy.

Cheap means a bunch of mismatched used couches, some coffee tables, a few tables and chairs, some art ont he walls, a speaker system run through a laptop. fancy...your imagination is the limit.

My place has some benches, not the most comfortable but i splurged on good cushions, 2 tables with chairs, some low tables for the bench seating, an espresso machine, a coke cooler for soda, 2 beer coolers and an totally off the wall beer selection, and over 40 flavours of shisha, oh ya and hot tea. It's a college town so beer sales are brisk, but most people don't get drunk at my place due to my selection. The fact that there are almost no places someone under 21 can go and hang out with friends over 21 and the over 21 year old can still get a beer helps tremendously.

Check the link in my sig if you want to see pictures. The music is piped through a lap top through speakers that were in place when I got the place. I play everything from metallica to led zep, to old 80's, to 70's to a little trance, oh and classic rock in between. Even have some johnny cash. People love the music mix and often comment on hearing old stuff they love and haven't heard in a while.

It's small, its cozy, it's chill, and I have to turn people away most thursday-sat nights becaus ei don't have enough space.

Total cost to open, around $60,000 including 25 grand to buy out the former tenant and to keep the equipment/furnishings.

Don't forget you have to be able to afford to pay your own bills for atleast a year withut taking any money OUT of the business. And don't expect to show an actual profit for a year or longer, if you survive that long. 9-10 new businesses don't make it.

My .02

How did I screw up my links after all this time???

target="_blank">facebook

HookahLover25 : (22 February 2011 - 04:47 PM) Edit icon GIN is not my friend. Wood pecker tasting goat eating rainbow slushy munchy double gummy bear drooling smurf jumping flash banging downstairs underground hiding little midgets crying a river playing triple penetrating frogs rolling down a mudslide full of Sasquatch eating Eskimo smelling skunk ass drooling burning nostrils of no remorse dying infront of a doorbell that's not even working worthless worms sunbathing crispy friend chicken. I hate GIN... Shit is nasty!! Ughhhhhh

#35 ForeverYoungENT

ForeverYoungENT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Scoop @ Apr 3 2008, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good luck. the valley is over saturated as is.

if you have to come to a message board for a business plan, you may not be ready for this endeavor.

lol bro I didnt come here for a business plan. I havnt started my research yet. im using this forum as an allie to help me get a couple of ideas together..ill let you know when i open it, make sure you stop by so we can talk about how much people from this forum helped ;]

thanks alot for all your help guys

#36 r1v3th3ad

r1v3th3ad

Nietzsche - god is dead

• Forum Elders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts
  • Interests:Passion for narghile, Paganism, Theology, Philosophy, Astrology, B.A. in history(focus in Latin America, Antebellum America, Great Depression, and War)

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

so...

what are you thinking about doing for your place?
what is your ideal setup?

Posted Image

Previously the phone mod

#37 supersubby

supersubby

Vizier - Molassed Harlequin

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (erufiku @ Apr 3 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea its khalil mamoon. im indian but i can speak arabic... im more of a traditional smoker so for me alcahol and hookah were never ment to be mixed so im kind of stuck on that..

but yeah cits in a hookah lounge piss me off or when morons light the cigs off of the coal..assholes...

as for furniture deff go to ikea and get the couches there with a few sofa covers. every few months rotate the covers to change the look up a bit so it dosn't get boring to the eye...

#38 Steemax

Steemax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Apr 3 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
an arm and a leg, god forbid you dont succeed though. you will definitley need a reef aquarium with a carbon filter in line with the air intake for the protein skimmer to keep the nicotine out of the water, and if you really want it to look badass youll need 14,000k mh's with several t5 ho actinics. i'd say a decent reef, (350 gallons or more) with lighting, stocked, ought to cost around $10,000

rofl i remember back when i had a 75G Reef tank, man was it a head che to keep up with, don't get me wrong, my tank was very succesful, but I didn't have enough time to give it the attention it needs. Such beautiful corals, and fish.

#39 Voski

Voski

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

so are you still gonna open it on ventura?

#40 Virgil

Virgil

Pasha - Majestrate of Mu'ussel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

Live music FTW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users