if i use standard foil, 2 layers - whatever size the bowl is plus 2" for "fold-over"

if i use hookah foil, unless it's "heat senative" shisha (like Nakhla or Tangier is standard bowl) just a single sheet

Thought #1:
I just thought of something. Using 2 sheets, I wonder what the result would be of taking the first sheet (shisha cover) and poking fewer large pencil-sized holes in it, a small circle in the center and a circle around the edge. The second sheet (with coal on it) poke random toothpick-sized holes in it. Just a random thought.

Thought #2:
If smoking hookah around a fire, take embers out of the fire and use them for coals.

Would these work?

Aluminum foil is safe. In fact, the logic that paranoids use to implicate aluminum foil could be doubly applied to the iron in a steel screen or pipe or copper in the pipe.

I use Costco Heavy duty foil, about 4"x4". Poke lots of holes with an oyster fork.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 6 2007, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aluminum foil is safe. In fact, the logic that paranoids use to implicate aluminum foil could be doubly applied to the iron in a steel screen or pipe or copper in the pipe.

I use Costco Heavy duty foil, about 4"x4". Poke lots of holes with an oyster fork.

Well, it is unusual that I've found no supporting evidence of aluminum being safe, and everything else says it's not.

Just a curiosity.

I think I'll avoid it for now and take the hit on smoke quality.

aluminum is not good for ur body. Recently Anti persperants had to change the percentage of how much aluminum it had because it can cause harm to your body. It is still recommended to use deodorants instead of anti persperants because of the aluminum in it.

but your smoking, so im pretty sure you dont care what you do to your body :-P

QUOTE (PerznPerversion @ May 7 2007, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aluminum is not good for ur body. Recently Anti persperants had to change the percentage of how much aluminum it had because it can cause harm to your body. It is still recommended to use deodorants instead of anti persperants because of the aluminum in it.

I'm sorry... this has to be the daftest reply i have ever seen. [1]

What do we cook our Beef, Chicken & Pork joints in?
We often use this material to 'line' oven tins?
It's not unheard of to wrap sandwiches in this to keep them fresh?
Crisps (Chips to you ruddy lot) come pack in this to keep them Fresh?

Yes, you guessed it... FOIL!

And the foil i take off my narghile after a session does not look any different to the foil i take off my roast beef. So I have serious doubts that foil has any effect what so ever.

JD

[1] I have not heard of any anti-persperant related issues this side of the pond.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ May 7 2007, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the foil i take off my narghile after a session does not look any different to the foil i take off my roast beef. So I have serious doubts that foil has any effect what so ever.

JD

[1] I have not heard of any anti-persperant related issues this side of the pond.

This side of the "pond" LMFAO. "Pond". That's great JD! And I totally agree with you on the aluminum thing. I think it's total bull. Oh well. You only live once. Smoke, eat, drink, and do what you want, you're going to die anyway. Might as well die happy, right? That's my philosophy anyway.

I thought excessive aluminum smoking was detrimental to long term health? Hasn't it been linked to Altzheimers and what not?

I believe that only sort of works if you beathe in the vapor, but you are no way heating the foilf to a gas state. Any fumes from the foil, is just dust/packageing crap

QUOTE (txhookahman @ May 6 2007, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought #1:
I just thought of something. Using 2 sheets, I wonder what the result would be of taking the first sheet (shisha cover) and poking fewer large pencil-sized holes in it, a small circle in the center and a circle around the edge. The second sheet (with coal on it) poke random toothpick-sized holes in it. Just a random thought.

Thought #2:
If smoking hookah around a fire, take embers out of the fire and use them for coals.

Would these work?

#1: Tried it, no bueno. Really hard pull, and it's hard to get the foil tense enough to poke holes in it without poking more holes in the bottom foil.

#2: Hookah coals are (usually) specially designed to not give off as many fumes... Even a barbecue charcoal would not work... I cant imagine how a burning piece of wood would taste anything other than horrible.

As for the foil, I use 2 layer Chef's Review heavy duty foil... it's great, pop up sheets, tear one in half, fold it in half with the shiny side in, save the other half for the next session. Like 8 bucks at Smart & Final laugh.gif

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ May 7 2007, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JD

According to your logic just because its widespread means that its ok. Just because the american diet consists of an enormous amount of calories doesnt mean its ok. Or just because a big percentage of people drink alcohol or smoke that its ok.

I did a little research and there is a connection between alzheimers and aluminium but its suggested that alzheimers cause the buildup of alimunium within the brain.

"Precautions
Aluminium is a neurotoxin that alters the function of the blood-brain barrier.[10] It is one of the few abundant elements that appears to have no beneficial function to living cells. A small percent of people are allergic to it — they experience contact dermatitis from any form of it: an itchy rash from using styptic or antiperspirant products, digestive disorders and inability to absorb nutrients from eating food cooked in aluminium pans, and vomiting and other symptoms of poisoning from ingesting such products as Amphojel, and Maalox (antacids). In other people, aluminium is not considered as toxic as heavy metals, but there is evidence of some toxicity if it is consumed in excessive amounts. The use of aluminium cookware, popular because of its corrosion resistance and good heat conduction, has not been shown to lead to aluminium toxicity in general. Excessive consumption of antacids containing aluminium compounds and excessive use of aluminium-containing antiperspirants are more likely causes of toxicity. In research published in the Journal of Applied Toxicology, Dr. Philippa D. Darby of the University of Reading has shown that aluminium salts increase estrogen-related gene expression in human breast cancer cells grown in the laboratory. These salts' estrogen-like effects have lead to their classification as a metalloestrogen. It has been suggested that aluminium is a cause of Alzheimer's disease, as some brain plaques have been found to contain the metal. Research in this area has been inconclusive; aluminium accumulation may be a consequence of the Alzheimer's damage, not the cause. In any event, if there is any toxicity of aluminium it must be via a very specific mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a lifetime.[11][12]"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum)

How can aluminum affect my health?
Exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful, but exposure to high levels can be. Workers who breathe large amounts of aluminum dusts can have lung problems, such as coughing or abnormal chest X-rays. Some workers who breathe aluminum dusts or aluminum fumes have decreased performance in some tests that measure functions of the nervous system.

Some people with kidney disease store a lot of aluminum in their bodies and sometimes develop bone or brain diseases which may be caused by the excess aluminum. Some studies show that people exposed to high levels of aluminum may develop Alzheimer's disease, but other studies have not found this to be true. We do not know for certain whether aluminum causes Alzheimer's disease. People may get skin rashes from the aluminum compounds in some underarm antiperspirants.

We do not know if aluminum will affect reproduction in people. Aluminum does not appear to affect fertility in animals.

(http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts22.html)

So i learned that too much aluminium isnt good as the toxicity will mess you up, but you shouldnt be worried about it. mmk Edited by PerznPerversion

Well, I appreciate your comments.

However i will say that wikipedia is not allways a brilliant and/or reliable source for such information. Especially anything medical related. Just my opinion - do with it what you will.

As to alzeimers & tin foil - The above information does suggest a small number of people show allergic reactions.. however i have quoted two pieces that interest me :-

The use of aluminium cookware, popular because of its corrosion resistance and good heat conduction, has not been shown to lead to aluminium toxicity in general.
Interesting ?

Excessive consumption of antacids containing aluminium compounds and excessive use of aluminium-containing antiperspirants are more likely causes of toxicity.
Very interesting.

Where does it suggest, anywhere not just wiki, that tin foil used for cooking and/or smoking is [In its self] Harmfull ?

cheers,
JD

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ May 7 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I appreciate your comments.

However i will say that wikipedia is not allways a brilliant and/or reliable source for such information. Especially anything medical related. Just my opinion - do with it what you will.

As to alzeimers & tin foil - The above information does suggest a small number of people show allergic reactions.. however i have quoted two pieces that interest me :-

The use of aluminium cookware, popular because of its corrosion resistance and good heat conduction, has not been shown to lead to aluminium toxicity in general.
Interesting ?

Excessive consumption of antacids containing aluminium compounds and excessive use of aluminium-containing antiperspirants are more likely causes of toxicity.
Very interesting.

Where does it suggest, anywhere not just wiki, that tin foil used for cooking and/or smoking is [In its self] Harmfull ?

cheers,
JD

I didnt say that it was, i was just questioning your logic.
I agree with you that wikipedia isnt really a reliable source but thats why i got a government site to confirm it. but i agree with you that foil is a safe bet.

But all in all shisha isnt a good thing to do too often for your health but the quality of your life can rise because of it smile.gif

Questioning my logic? Damn it man I am English tongue.gif (just joking)

Yes you are of course correct. Smoking is not so clever. But what you will find around here is that this is a given and just about everyone agrees on this. We don't tend to debate it much as we are all adults and make a consiouce decision to take this risk biggrin.gif

JD - like my consiouce decision about bad speeling tongue.gif