Exoticas Vs Coco-naras

So I looked today and saw that I had only 1 coconara coal chunk left and I decided that it was the perfect time to do this.

Both coals took about 10 minutes to light. Coconaras have a bit of a smell while lighting, but it goes away fairly fast.

anyways, coal just after I put them on the bowl.

[attachment=1037:compare1.jpg]

about 20 minutes into the session

[attachment=1038:Compare_2.jpg]

Finally at the very end, probably about an hour later or so (though I wasn't smoking them very heavily). Note the coconara coal is on the left of the picture.

[attachment=1039:compare_3.jpg]

As you can see, the coconara lasts a bit long then the exotica coal, but by not very much.

hmm, was hoping to make this into a single post but ran out of attachment room.

The pile of ash on the left is from the coconara, the pile on the right is from the exotica. Its definetily not perfect, but pretty close.

[attachment=1040:Compare_ash.jpg]

If you don't mind the ash, there is very little difference between the two coals, personally I think I'll be ordering more coconaras once I use up this batch of exoticas since I find them more convinient because I don't have to break them.

Look basically the same the square shape and the price seems about right for them, some people complained about lighting them, seems like if you have a coal burner it's no big deal, or a gas stove.

The exoticas and bad batch bullshit is kind of getting out of hand but so are the people, they sent thousands of boxes out, once they sent out a new batch, the thousands that were bad are still circulating somewhere so calm the hell down. wry.gif wry.gif

Coco Nara coals seem to ash, but not much, unless I am mistake in the picture, it doesn't seem like a very big pile. I do dig the square shape, just throw on burner and wam bam thank you mam, on the other hand, making a mew nothes in the exotica isn't fairly hard nor difficult, if so consider going to the gym a tad bit more lol_hitting.gif

Like the review, good job with the pictures, ashing and minute sessions.

QUOTE (Milk With Pulp @ Feb 7 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The exoticas and bad batch bullshit is kind of getting out of hand but so are the people, they sent thousands of boxes out, once they sent out a new batch, the thousands that were bad are still circulating somewhere so calm the hell down. wry.gif wry.gif

People weren't complaining because they got bad coals... we were complaining because we got bad coals, then got called assholes, liars and morons by the guy that sent us bad coals. In mush's case he was ripped off hundreds of dollars to boot.

H-S, for example, has screwed up more of my orders than they've gotten right, and I've ordered from them like 9 or 10 times. I continue to order from them because they're accountable for their errors and treat me with respect.

QUOTE (kornkitten42 @ Feb 8 2008, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gaia.... Give it a break dude. Damn. wallbash.gif How many times are you going to kick a dead horse?

Maybe you should take another look kitten, before you leap. I wasn't the one to bring it up. ~ "calm the hell down."

I guess I'm going to keep "kicking a dead horse" (or vindicating the truth, in other words) as many times as people unnecessarily bring it up, in conjunction with misinformation. Edited by gaia.plateau

I'm not getting into a war of words with you Gaia. It was a generalization on his part and then you had to make it personal. All I am saying is, I'm sick of opening a regular thread and seeing you T.C in it.

And I did look, and didn't see an actual reason for your typical, and repetative response, hence why I typed what I did.

How did I in any way make anything personal or suggest a "war of words"? What do you mean by T.C.?

MwP out of nowhere criticized those of us who had bad experiences with Exoticas, portraying the situation falsely... so in a whopping 3 lines of text I politely corrected it. It would have ended there if you weren't insisting on making a big deal about this.

Did you use a Windcover in your test? I tested both coals the other day...

1hr 25 min w/ Exoticas (2 - 1.25" pieces) and windcover (super thin smoke by this point - no taste)
1hr 40 min w/ Coconars (2 squares) and windcover (taste, but whispy thin smoke)

They both have their plus & minuses:

CN's don't always produce enough HEAT without a Windcover. A small Egyptian bowl uses 2 coals + windcover or no smoke (but lots of taste). 3 coals is TOO much, even with No windcover. But they retain the shape well.

Everybody has heard the "bad batch" issues with Exoticas. One Exotica split half way thur the bowl during an ashing - the CN's never break/crumble apart, but the Exotica did produce more heat & smoke without the use of a Windcover.

It's a toss up over which I like more.... Edited by lazria

Nope, no windcover for me.

I think I agree that exoticas produce a bit more heat, but that hasn't been an issue for me yet.

as you can see, the coconara actually lasted longer, or rather was a bit bigger in the end.

My session.

3 coconara coals, 1 large funnel, 12 minutes to light them, 2 hours 10 minutes total till they were out. Of that, 1 hour 30 minutes of billowing thick smoke, 40 minutes of thinner smoke. All flavorful, HookahHookah Spearmint mixxed with wintergreen.. They worked excellently for me. I was actually getting tired of smoking it for that long, but was digging it all the way.

Just my 2c

p.s no windcover Edited by Shifty

Why doesnt anyone mention quality?

The coconara last longer then the bigger exotica coal. Can you imagine if the exotica was the same size as the coconara... ? wouldnt come close probably...

"For me, the main thing preventing me from ordering Coconaras is that their size shrinks very much and doesn't look like it'll provide sufficient heat and I'll keep having to light new ones. "

Also thats the good thing about this coal, it does produce heat and its small, Light 3 coals to begin with and add 2 coals which produce a good 30 minutes of thick smoke. Then add the 3rd (poke more holes) and now your going for a hour long smoke.

Also the do sell the smaller amount for those who dont want to purchase a whole box and the shipping is cheap. Maybe im just on my own or somthing but this is my #1 coal. Only thing that suxs is it take about ~13minutes to light. Maybe I'll go an purchase the 1000w single burner and see how quick they light.

Justttttt sharing the 411