Coconara / Natural Coals General Question

So, I'm getting a little tired of quick lights, and I live in a dorm which has a kitchen, and I was wondering if I wanted to use these natural coals, could I just put a pot or pan on the stove and then put the coals in the pot? or do they have to be directly on the stove. Also, do natural coals / coconara coals create any smoke while being heated? if so, would this type of smoke be detected by a smoke detector? We are allowed to smoke hookahs in our room and that does not set off the alarm; someone was saying that fire detectors only pick up black smoke (like when burning paper). Anyway, just want to find out some more info, preferrably from other people who live in dorms and use natural coals / coconara coals.

appreciate it! Edited by datsyriankid

Coconara does not leave at lot of smoke or smell while you light them, in fact no smoke just a little smell, but it is not bad. I would put them directly on the burner. Putting them in a pan to light sounds like a cosmically bad idea. Sorry Gaia, I just had to say that biggrin.gif

I tried Coconara coals this weekend. When lighting them on the stove they had a faint smell and did indeed set our smoke detector off (which is in the living room).

Excellent coals though, you won't be disappointed if you purchase them.

QUOTE (hinrg @ Feb 5 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried Coconara coals this weekend. When lighting them on the stove they had a faint smell and did indeed set our smoke detector off (which is in the living room).

Excellent coals though, you won't be disappointed if you purchase them.

really? oohh crap i may need to be more careful with mine, never got any visible smoke from lighting my naturals though?

i gotta wait until payday this week to put in an order but i am going to try out some coconara's and also re-up my exoticas as im almost done with my supply. also need to order a few other trinkets as well and some shisha if they finally get the flavors i want in stock.

QUOTE (thecoalition @ Feb 5 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i gotta wait until payday this week to put in an order but i am going to try out some coconara's and also re-up my exoticas as im almost done with my supply. also need to order a few other trinkets as well and some shisha if they finally get the flavors i want in stock.

you should totally do a very detailed comparison if and its a big if you get good exoticas ...

QUOTE (Snoopy1966 @ Feb 5 2008, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Coconara does not leave at lot of smoke or smell while you light them, in fact no smoke just a little smell, but it is not bad. I would put them directly on the burner. Putting them in a pan to light sounds like a cosmically bad idea. Sorry Gaia, I just had to say that biggrin.gif

why does it sound like a bad idea? its the same as when you put them on a hotplate, just...dont use a saucepan you cook in/arent prepared to lose tongue.gif preferably use an old saucepan. works for me cos i have a gas burner. it does take longer for the coals to heat though.

QUOTE (zeppyrkr @ Feb 5 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (thecoalition @ Feb 5 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you should totally do a very detailed comparison if and its a big if you get good exoticas ...

i just received three perfect boxes from h-s

i have a friend who lives at UTSA and he uses naturals and lights them on the stove, they don't have problems with the fire alarm...

when i light my coco nara it doesnt give off any smoke white or black...the only smoke ive ever had come off of coal is from instant lights... whenever i light my coals i do have a problem with my smoke detector which is ALSO a carbon monoxide detector...so i'd cover it up just to be safe

QUOTE (datsyriankid @ Feb 5 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, I'm getting a little tired of quick lights, and I live in a dorm which has a kitchen, and I was wondering if I wanted to use these natural coals, could I just put a pot or pan on the stove and then put the coals in the pot? or do they have to be directly on the stove. Also, do natural coals / coconara coals create any smoke while being heated? if so, would this type of smoke be detected by a smoke detector? We are allowed to smoke hookahs in our room and that does not set off the alarm; someone was saying that fire detectors only pick up black smoke (like when burning paper). Anyway, just want to find out some more info, preferrably from other people who live in dorms and use natural coals / coconara coals.

appreciate it!

It may depend on the brand, but some natural coals haven't been processed into coal properly, and will burn like normal wood. I've had a few like that set off my smoke detector. I've also had QLs and finger coals set off my CO alarm a couple of times. Your best bet is to make sure the room is well-ventilated. That way you can turn off the smoke alarm and clear out the room w/ a fan or two. If you don't happen to have a CO detector you may want to get one.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Feb 6 2008, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use an old frying pan to heat my coals in. I'm not putting coals directly onto my rather fucking expensive hob thankyousomuch!

It should work just fine smile.gif

JD

I see, a fry pan that is heavy would make more sense to me then a saucepan. I light my coals outside on a burner because I do not want to trash my stove or my apartment while lighting them. I just think of heating a saucepan with nothing it makes for a warped pan.

QUOTE (Snoopy1966 @ Feb 6 2008, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Feb 6 2008, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use an old frying pan to heat my coals in. I'm not putting coals directly onto my rather fucking expensive hob thankyousomuch!

It should work just fine smile.gif

JD

I see, a fry pan that is heavy would make more sense to me then a saucepan. I light my coals outside on a burner because I do not want to trash my stove or my apartment while lighting them. I just think of heating a saucepan with nothing it makes for a warped pan.

it does, thats why you shoukd use an old one tongue.gif

so i ordered a box of 84 pcs of coconara coals, i'm pretty pumped, as far as the situation there is a smoke detector pretty close to the stove but there is a kitchen on each floor and i think the one in the basement doesnt have one near the stove, so I should be alright, if anything i'm just going to put it in a pot and cover it up, I know it will take longer, but I've got time. also, I think the dorms don't have CM detectors, so the coals should be okay even if there is a smoke alarm near by; the reason I think they don't have them is that I smoke hookah in my room all the time and have even lit some coals in my room and nothin has happened. We'll see though. damn a dorm of 250 students -- if I set this shit my friends are going to bug the shit out of me haha

shookran (thanks) for the replies!