I was at the local armenian market yesterday to stock up on 3kings. A few members of the forum have been urging me to try out naturals, and I saw these "Baroody Wood Coals." It was 5 bucks for a kilo bag, so I bought them. I came home and looked around on the forums, but only found one semi-informative post about them. I haven't used them yet, but I will in the next hour or so. They seem pretty high quality, very dense. As well, they are a helpful sort of triangular shape, rather than being round. That seems like it would be very nice for stability.

Anyways, anyone else used these? Other experiences?

BTW, I picked up some nakhla Double Apple too, something I've never tried before... Should be an experience biggrin.gif

Ok, here we go.

THis was my first time using natural coals. NEVER GOING BACK. These things are great, I just put them on my stove for 5 minutes, and they have burned for an hour and have easily that much time left in them. I would keep going, but I have to go do some stuff. I set it up with layalina watermelon and they were great. 2 1 and a half inch pieces, and it was perfect. The ash didnt come off unless I scraped it, which was nice. They gave me the perfect amouint of heat, I got much better clouds with them than with quicklights. I REALLY reccomend these. Once again, NEVER GOING BACK.

BTW, I got them at a little armenian market like 40 feet from Arax, in Watertown MA for 4.99

i hear all these raves about naturual coals, but i can't really use them. i live in the dorm, where there is no stove available, and i don't feel like buying a stove from HS. I like my 40mm self lights from HS am I being very niave? or is somebody with me on this one?

QUOTE (Bushbr @ Oct 27 2007, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hear all these raves about naturual coals, but i can't really use them. i live in the dorm, where there is no stove available, and i don't feel like buying a stove from HS. I like my 40mm self lights from HS am I being very niave? or is somebody with me on this one?

you can get a hot plate at Walmart for 10 bucks.

QUOTE (Bushbr @ Oct 27 2007, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You make do with what you can...when you get out of the dorms and try finger coals, you'll understand. wink.gif

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (poopooshaboo @ Oct 27 2007, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was at the local armenian market yesterday to stock up on 3kings. A few members of the forum have been urging me to try out naturals, and I saw these "Baroody Wood Coals." It was 5 bucks for a kilo bag, so I bought them. I came home and looked around on the forums, but only found one semi-informative post about them. I haven't used them yet, but I will in the next hour or so. They seem pretty high quality, very dense. As well, they are a helpful sort of triangular shape, rather than being round. That seems like it would be very nice for stability.

Anyways, anyone else used these? Other experiences?

BTW, I picked up some nakhla Double Apple too, something I've never tried before... Should be an experience biggrin.gif

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to ask if anyone knows anywhere in the NYC area to get these. I normally get the 2 kilo backs of baroodys from Shisha International on West 4th St., but they mark them up to $20/bag. I smoke quite a bit (usually at least a couple of times a day), so at that price it gets rather expensive for me. It's interesting though, the Baroodys I have come in the same bag as the one in the photo, but the ones in mine are round. Anyway I looked for a website or some store to order them directly through and have been unable to find one. Their quality is superb, at least in my experience, and they really bring out the full flavor of the mu'asel without imparting any of their own. I use 3 Kings periodically when I'm trying to stretch my cash, but the baroodys are really fantastic. I've also used lemonwood coals but they tend to burn through pretty rapidly.

Anyone have any suggestions where to get cheap natural coals in NYC, especially baroody? I don't have a lot of time to wander around Egyptian areas in Queens or anything, so specific locations would be helpful rather than general regions.

Thanks,
p8

QUOTE (Bushbr @ Oct 27 2007, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try finding something like this..

Edit: BAH! The bloody thing wont work. Anyways, the picture that I wanted to show i located here.. http://www.biltema.se/Archive%5CProduct_im...%5C17-601_l.jpg Edited by Snacks