What did i do wrong?

Ok, yesterday i was chillin w/ my friend, and we were planning on getting a hookah for under 100.  So we went to a store, got us about a 20 inch 1 hose hookah.  we also bought 2 flavors, mint and 2apple, 12 coals, etc.  so we were all set.
next thing we did, we put the vase, then the pipe thing, the hose, the metal plate, then the cup of flavor on top.  then we lit the coal onthe foil, then we took puffs, after a while, we KINDA tasted the apple, however, soon it faded away.  we didnt know what we did wrong.... there was strong wind outside, i dont know for sure.....  given that, can somebody point out the part we did wrong? or ask what we did for a specific part w/e that would have been the problem. we barely tasted the thing,.... so somebody please help, thakns.

You also didnt mention what brand of tobacco you used.  It may be
that its cheap. Also if you do end up putting 2 coals watch out so you
wont burn the tobaco. Make sure you dont overfill the bowl and the
shiny side if the foil goes down. 

Ok, we filled the tabacco pretty much to the top of the bowl.... could that be one of the problem?  If so how much should we fill it up to??  and the tabacco box was 10$ each, is that cheap or average...?  and we did it outside because we were afraid the fire alarm was goin to go off..... thanks for your advises.

well 1, make sure your tobacco is a few milimeters below the rim of the
bowl, you could llightly sprinkle it in and then pack it down a bit, or
just dont fil it all the way, also make sure that the foil is on tight,
if its loose then air will go in there and avoid the coal, the price
doesnt say much all dependson where you shop, theres 2 places by me, 1
sells nakhla for $5 and the other sells it for $9, and like i said, if
youre gonna smoke it out side you need a wind cover

Smoking is just a matter of trying, adjusting, and perfecting. Everyone will have their own style of how they do things. But the most basic thing to remember: If there is not a lot of smoke, try adding more coals. When doing this if it ever becomes harsh tasting, take a little heat off. With enough practice, you will find a happy medium and never have a bad session.

should i lessen the amount of tabbacco in the cup and have more space between the tabacco and the foil?? for the coals, we bought a 6pack i think..... any CRITICAL part you need for it to performe a good smoking experience??