Home Made Hose Covers

AndrewM

so tonight i got tired of lookin at light blue ugly hoses... and set out to make nice hose covers.... supprisingly enough it ended well... let me get thie nitty gritty outta the way first. cut a swath of fabric FOUR TIMES the length of your hose.. and only 3 and a half to 4 inches wide... sew it together.. turn it inside out... slide it on... tie the ends down.. not rocket science.

Oh and i dont care where you are or what your doing.. go tell your mother you love her... she needs to feel like shes needed too.

so thats that folks... tell me what you think...

my mom actually got wicked stoked about it, told me whe was gunna run to the fabric store while i was at work and get some really really nice stuff and me some more coverings, if you want to, toss me an email at AndrewMMueller@gmail.com and we can work out something and i can make you some for half the price of the ones you buy online.

happy hookah-ing!

QUOTE (camelflage @ Mar 4 2007, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
right, with a machine, but by hand i can see it taking me like 30 minutes or more for a good closse stitch.

believe me these things are stiched quite well... its a dual stick machine uses a bobbin so that its stitched both top and bottom... not goin anywhere.

the production cost would be a little higher cause its made at home not mass production. but these are great covers. regarless

happy hookah-ing

Very nice cover, very different from the scrunch style you see on alot of the egyptian hookahs. i had to use a peice of cloth 4 times greater then that of the hose. but still very nice. i like the way the scrunchie style feels in the hand, almost like another grip.

oh geez, i horribly under-estimated. it took me nearly 2.5 hours to hand-stitch my own hose cover with elastic ends. sadly, i think the fabric needs to be about a yard longer to get the plush ruffles but not too bad considering the beers and hookah while i was doing it.. Edited by camelflage

Ok, I got the pics of the NEW cover that AZCoyote sent me.

This this is amazing. the material feels like a comfy couch, and I can almost sink into it. the ruffles really add an artistic flare to my QT. My only complaint is that on a small hookah like my mya, the hose dwarfs the little fellow.

Cheers, AZCoyote! This smoke is for you!

Great pics!. Thanks for the favorable mention. Maybe you could move this post to a new thread for it under Reviews>Hoses. That where it really belongs. Much obliged. It would look better on a big Egyptian rig. I have lighter weight material for smaller hookahs that's more to scale. Thanks again for the great pics. it looks so phat!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Impressive!!
and your mom helping you out...thats some bonding right there.
I'm new and this caught my eye. Because I'll be getting my first hookah very soon (just waiting on that pretty paycheck) and its got the washable hoses and call me nit picky but I'm not a fan of how they look but NOW if i can just go out and buy a pretty fabric to go with it! laugh.gif thats awesome I probably NEVER would have come up with the idea.

I'll have to take pictures when I get to it. biggrin.gif

This is a great idea! I actually sewed some of these the other week for the hookah i'm currently working on, using some crazy fabric (cream, black, red, blue, and green houndstooth/plaid--nothing i've ever seen on a hookah so i thought i'd give it a try). It's not too bad of a job to sew by hand--use a French stitch and it goes faster, but still won't pull apart.

If it helps anyone, I find that to get the best "scruch"--if that's what you're going for--you should measure your hose's outer circumference, multiply by 1 1/4 to 2, and add 1/2". This new number is a great width to use, just make the seam 1/4" thick, giving you around 1 1/4 to 2 times the circumference of the hose. The plus of this measurement is this: it will give you a nice scrunch that isn't "floppy" or "too slippery" around the hose. The amount of scrunch depends on personal preference; i used a little less than twice the length of hose as the length of the hose cover, primarily because i don't want to hand-sew all night and also like a more stark ruffle.

Personal preference, hope this helps some of you.

-m.s.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Magamba Satta @ Jun 20 2007, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...If it helps anyone, I find that to get the best "scruch"--if that's what you're going for--you should measure your hose's outer circumference, multiply by 1 1/4 to 2, and add 1/2". This new number is a great width to use, just make the seam 1/4" thick, giving you around 1 1/4 to 2 times the circumference of the hose. The plus of this measurement is this: it will give you a nice scrunch that isn't "floppy" or "too slippery" around the hose. The amount of scrunch depends on personal preference; i used a little less than twice the length of hose as the length of the hose cover, primarily because i don't want to hand-sew all night and also like a more stark ruffle.

Personal preference, hope this helps some of you.

-m.s.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to the fabric store now to check out some options. I'm thinking of making furry ones smile.gif