The Oscars

SafeSearchOff

QUOTE (SafeSearchOff @ Feb 26 2007, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think generally they made some good choices, but I really think they completely robbed Children of Men on best cinematography and best editing, the way that movie was shot was incredible.

Any further insight?

While I absolutely loved Children of Men, and believe it is a very underrated movie, Pan's Labyrinth most certainly deserved the Best Cinematography Oscar, and by a long shot. Technically, Children of Men was stunning to watch, but for sheer visual interest and beauty, Pan's Labyrinth walks all over it, and that's why I think it won. As far as editing, I cannot say, as I have not seen The Departed.

QUOTE (SafeSearchOff @ Feb 26 2007, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about that last 30 minutes of children of men? That one camera following clive owen was incredibly well done, the whole way that scene was shot...

Yes, that was really, really cool, BUT it was more of a technical feat than anything else. Have you ever seen Russian Ark? The ENTIRE MOVIE, like 90 minutes I believe, is one continuous camera shot, with I don't know how many different sets and something like 800 actors. You cannot take your eyes of the screen, it is so fluid and beautiful. And it didn't win anything. Like I said, I loved Children of Men, but you have to look at the movie as a whole vs. bit by bit. Did you see Pan's Labyrinth by the way?