Parents = Explaining

first off: if your dad says "why don't you bring the bong with..." that seems to be in a comical sense. this must mean that they are not that offended by the whole thing.

anyway, why don't you show them what it's like to smoke the hookah? if you have flavored tobacco at your house, then smoke it in front of them. it's not a big deal and they will understand how you use it if you show them.

they're people too and you need to deal with it like they are some random curious person. i smoked the hookah with my mom about a week ago just to show her what it's like. my dad won't do it because he doesn't smoke anything but if they have questions, just show the thing to them. it's that easy.

they know they can't stop you from smoking anything else out of it, so all they need is to trust you and understanding brings that trust.

Well, i'm 22 and my mother is syrian. She still doesn't believe me either. She knows the "history" and believes thats what i am doing as well. I told her and have shown her my collection along with the multitudes of tobacco i have. She knows in her heart that i'm not. (I work at the police department) and if that's not a HUGE indicator that it's not for Illegal purposes then i dont know what is because i could be fired! Hell my Captian and Chief know i have several of them and think it's cool!

My dad has been to Iran, Iraq and most of the middle east (military) and has brought back hookahs' for my family while on duty. Plus my Grandmother (his mom) has a sterling silver 6 foot ( it's bigger than me and i'm 5'4) tall 6 hose rotator narghile that sits in her living room and she's not even of any middle eastern ethnicity!! They understand and know what it is, but can not fatham that i actually enjoy sitting around and smoking my hookah.

I finally just told my parents its my life, i do what i want, and when i ask them about the quirky little habbits they have then we can talk, but they keep their nose out of my bedroom and i do the same. (methaphorically speaking as we don't live together and haven't since i was 18)

good luck dude!

It took a little convincing for my parents as they are against any smoking, but I think what reeally got them around was the fact that my old brother who they trust a lot recently bought a hookah. They figured if he buys one and hes responsible then you can be responsible too. So on my 18th birthday just 3 days ago I went out and bought one and I love it. The first person I smoked it with was my dad which was really strange cause he always calls it a bong and wasnt really for the whole thing (not to mention hes a doctor and knows a lot of people who have died of cancer).

But the main thing was I told them I wouldnt smoke it very often, I dont want this to be a daily thing for me maybe once a week is good enough. So they excepted that I got one and have been cool with it so far even letting me smoke it in the basement and my dad even tried it again with me last night. So I guess you just have to show them that you really are responsible and you arent using it for drugs. My parents know I dont smoke anything but tobacco so that of course helped. So just talk to them about it and tell them you dont plan on using drugs with it. Edited by popete