Hookah lovers = Dirty Hippies?

Hey guys and girls,

I would like your help to debunk the myth that
hookah smokers are shiftless, lazy and unemployed.  This seems to
be a commonly held misconception that probably goes hand in hand with
the myth that we smoke marijuana in our pipes. 

Anyway, come on and list your occupations, interests
etc. so we can show the naysayers that we're a shophisticated group on
the cusp of a cultural revolution...(I think that means were hip
without being hippies )

BTW
  This post comes from me being called a dirty hippie for this choice of recreation.

I'll give it a shot.

I work for a gas pipline company working in the Network Operations
Center. I monitor the whole corporations network and 2 pipelines.

My hobbies include racing, hanging out with friends, going to wine
tastings,  listening to trance music, electronics, and
building/designings stuff.

BTW RaurriP you didnt list your answers to your own questions.

Oops,

I guess I should lead by example. 

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in North American labour
history.  I am currently a student studying economic theory, and
I'm going to be attending Law school next September. 

I love to read, especially crazy lefty historians
like Howard Zinn, and equally crazy Sci-Fi authors like Frank Herbert
and Robert Heinlein.  I also play hockey poorly (make that very
poorly...I'm a disgraceful Canadian I know), love CBC Radio Two, and
have been working as a senior technician at a swimming pool company for
the past five summers.  The work may not be sophisticated but the
paycheques have helped to pay for my education. 

I'm a law student, though I'm about as lazy as they come.

I like to keep up on news, politics, sports etc. I love travelling and
generally trying new things, I'll be going to New York and London this
summer to work at a law firm. I'm a big fan of beer, whiskey and Aqua
Teen Hunger Force. Academically I am most interested in development
economics. But usually you can find me lying down on my couch, smoking
my shisha, with some obscure college basketball game on my television.

I'm an undergrad at a major midwestern Big Ten university, majoring in
Information Technology and Entrepreneurship. Back at home, when I'm not
working in the IS department of a major products firm, I run my own
private consulting firm. I also serve as the product manager for an up
and coming PC company.

That work?

Lets see:

Full time Student at Loyola Marymount University taking 17 units. 
Majoring in Business Administration with an emphasis in Travel and
Tourism.  Junior year.

Part time (20 hours a week) banker at U.S. Bank.

I have a girlfriend of 5 months who I love and spend alot of time with.

I spend my summers helping run a Boy Scout Camp.  I am also an assistant scoutmaster for  a Sea Scouting unit.

Hobbies:
Drag Racing
Working on my 03 Mustang GT
Detailing my 03 Mustang GT
Hookah

Dirty hippy? Far from it.  I'm a republican.

i am lazy and unemployed, but thats because i dont have enough time for
a job and college, ill be getting a summer job once class is over.

other hobbies are my car, anime, and making/fixing assorted things, i just seem to have a nack for it

No, we'll try this again
I'm in a transitional period. I just completed a 20 year military career with the Army. I spent the time as an aircraft mechanic, crew chief (flight engineer), platform instructor and anything else that came my way. Now, I'm living in the same area I retired in, working for a Defense contractor as an aviation life support equipment technician (all those things that help keep people alive when flying and after they experience "the unlikely event").
These days the things that interest me the most are the things that are required to be done when you own a home and have kids who break everything in the home. Some day I will bass fish a lot and hopefully pick up the photo equipment once again. Unti lthen, the hookah is a wonderful relaxing mechanism.
I live in west-central Louisiana.
Cheers
MR Bubble

Seems as if most of us are college students. I currently attend the University of the Pacific in Stockton CA. I'm a sophmore and a Business Admin major with no focus yet.. :) Parents won't let me have a job while at school, but I want to get an internship at an accounting firm when summer starts (hopefully).
I love to play raquetball, party with my friends, listen to music while I smoke, and do well in school. Only thing really going on for me so far is just school work and smoking. You wouln't believe how much of a social tool hookah is until you buy one and find yourself meeting all sorts of new people at school.

Lessee...

I'm an IT manager  and SysAdmin, studied bassoon and sax in school
as a music major until I realized it was too much work for too little
reward. I'm a guitarist/bodhran player/flautist in a Celtic
band (Catch us at Fitzgerald's in Vegas on St Pats - see the sig
below).  I like to mess with open-source software at home and work
(mostly linux), replacing that piece of sh1t windows crap whenever
possible (Okay, when it makes sense to do so).  I'm a software
communist and a fiscal republican

Then some local "Dirty Hippies" turned me on to hookah and pretty much ruined me for cigars...

I'm a Theology/philosophy major at Hanover College in Indiana,
i'm origionally from Michigan.  I work 10 hours a week at the IT
help desk.  My hobbies are mountain biking, swimming, guitar,
nicotine and video games.

All things considered, I suppose you could call me a dirty hippy.  I'm conservative...do I loose any hippy points for that?

100% truckdriving hippie for the moment- im working at a company  deliver and serving customers but  tired im of it so til summer i hope to get a job at the local cemetary so i wont have to sit in trafficjams and listen to stupid questions from the customers every day-no more stupid questions anymore just quiet and cool persons

I'm not a shiftless and lazy hippie (they're on hourly wage), but I DO have the hippie degree:

B.Sc. Anthropology with archaeology concentration and geology minor.

But alas, archaeology doesn't pay buttons, and luckily after geology
classes I goofed off in the computer lab because I do internet-related
work now!

ok my whole family (hailing from syria) smokes argilli (hookah) and theyre all very successful ..... and what about saudis and and people from the gulf and amazingly rich ... probably richer then bill gates but they just dont say everything they have and the western world refuses to recognize them ..... i dont understand how people could figure that lol

No the western world does not refuse recognize the Saudi - they are just not placed higher than Bill Gates because of the fact that no Saudi is richer than Bill Gates. So no they are not probably richer than Bill Gates, they are not unrecognized - just more "poor".
Among the (all recognised) Saudi's [url=http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=0RD0&datatype=Person][color="#800080"]Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud[/color] is the richest with a fortune a little less than half of Mr Gates.
Though I would still not call them hippies
As for me - most of you know I'm from Denmark. "Master of chemical engineering and applied chemistry" is my thing in the titles department. I specialize in thermodynamics and phasebehaviour mostly used in the petrochemical industry so I might have hands on some of the tools cypress use for his pipeline stuff.
I don't really have that many interesting hobbies other than enjoying the time that goes by. Ofcourse the pipe fits in scheme somewhere.

[quote name='Kofod] No the western world does not refuse recognize the Saudi - they are just not placed higher than Bill Gates because of the fact that no Saudi is richer than Bill Gates. So no they are not probably richer than Bill Gates' date=' they are not unrecognized - just more "poor".Among the (all recognised) Saudi's [url=http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=0RD0&datatype=Person'][COLOR=#800080">Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud[/color] nah homie ... its just arabs tend to not report everything they have ... they dont go around telling everyone how much money they have ... the average household income of arab familes in america is 40% more then the total average .... and lets just say it would be more if they really said how much they had .... the prince of burma has $45 billion worth of property in the USA alone .... how much liquid cash and other property do you think he has ..... hes thought to be one of the richest men in the world but he doesnt care for the title .... in saudi arabia just one prince ... one prince out of like 50 bought 300 bentleys and added red spinners on all of them just so people know its him .... and a bentley in the middle east is around a couple million at least ...

I think you mean the Sultan of Brunei, Burma is run by a military junta, and is known as Myanmar nowadays.
As for the sultan, he used to be one of the most wealthy men on Earth,
but he blew all his cash on cars, women and other luxuries. He still
has a lot of cash, but he's by no means in Bill Gates territorty.

I concur with Highpockets.
And for the record - the rich list is not based on what arabs or others choose to "tell". Forbes find out themselfes how much money this or that person has - it has by no means anything to do with what they "report".
So the Saudi prince can choose to "report" what ever he wants - he is still the 5. richest person in the world - no more no less.
It is not possible to hide your wealth in the range we are talkning about - liquid cash and 300 bentley's are not of significance with these figures. Wealth in the billions can simply not be hidden.
And no the Prince of Burma does not own property for $45 bilion in America, because then Forbes would have placed him as richer than Bill Gates - and by the you can not own property in america without having ownerregistry.
So basically your story about how the figures depend on how much arabs or other choose to tell has no relevance for a discussion of the Forbes list - hidden wealth is of no relevance - hidden wealth does not exist in the billions and therefore of no significance for the richlist.

Boy,

You guys really aren't hippies.  You're
money-grubbing Conservatives (except for Alen, Mr. Bubble and that
Philosophy major). 

Thanks to all who proved that Hookahs are for both Dirty Hippies and Right-Wing kooks.

Peace