Your Favorite Recipes

Lakemonster

Figure at some point between smokin... we gotta eat...

Someone posted a "Hookah food" thread a few days back... kinda made me think about what you might COOK as a meal before a smoke... or just your signature grub in general. If you got it, post it

Heres a couple of mine that I have developed from basic recipes Ive learned.

Sheik El Mahshi

Ingredients

1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4* cup butter
1 lb ground beef or lamb or veal
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I heap mine a bit)
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 lg. chopped onion
1* lg eggplant
3 Tbsp. butter
1 "can" of diced tomatoes (large or small depending on taste)
2 Tbsp. dry mint
Few sprinkles worth of Kosher Salt
water

(*) can substitute butter cooking spray as needed while frying eggplant (healthy version). Use three of the small eggplants found at International markets to replace the single large ones you find at standard American grocers.

Directions

1. Peel eggplants, cut stems off. Slice into 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick circles and set on cookie sheets. Sprinkle salt all over, This softens them. Set aside so you can prepare the filling.

2. fry pine nuts with 2 Tbsp. butter until golden. Add meat, salt, pepper and cinnamon, stir well. Add onion and fry until onions are limp and meat is brown.

3 Squeeze water out of eggplant slices’ and place in frying pan with Tablesppon or so of butter, cooking till golden colored and soft. Remove and place a layer on the bottom of baking pan.

4. Spread a layer of meat mixture over eggplant slices. Arrange remaining eggplant slices on top of meat.

5. Spread diced tomatoes over all, adding water to just above the bottom layer of eggplant.

6. Sprinkle mint over top. Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 F. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

A good basic hummus can be found here.... http://mediterrasian.com/delicious_recipes_hummus_pf.htm

From there you can add your favorite spices to take it where you want to go... I usually toss in some paprika, cumin and some cajun seasoning. If you got some spices in teh cabinet... you can really get interesting with the stuff.... very versatile dip.

take a tray of authentic mexican nachos... i dont like the crappy crap

take either refried black or pinto beans.. then spread em over your nachos... then add ground beef with taco seasoning..then add chili cheese...best..NACHOS evAR

but i like eating lasagna the way my mom made it today

we had left over taco ground beef.... so she put some lasagna noodles in the tray..spread some cottage cheese on top..then the ground beef... then another layer so on and so forth...then put it in the oven at 200 degrees celsius.. its done when the noodles are soft

I'm a sandwich freak. Nicely toasted bakery bread (glazed with freshly mixed garlic butter) + sub-bread sized thick, lean, choice cut beef (a la perfect flame grilled medium-rare sirloin or mignon cut) + leaf spinach + fresh chicory + small red onion slice + freshly made horseradish herb spread + sharp cheddar + whatever else= perfect $10 sandwich. Beef has to be pretty aged, so that it's tender enough to be eaten in sandwich format.

My wife thinks it's nasty.

God I'm hungry now.

P.S. Chase it down with a dry, leathery wine. Edited by james

spicy cap'n crunch chicken.

ingredients:

cap'n crunch-3 cups

corn flakes-1 cup

chili flakes like in the pizza places-4 table spoons

garlic powder-2 table spoons

ranch dressing and or an egg wash.

flour

instructions

using a food processor combine the cap'n crunch, corn flakes, chili flakes, and garlic powder. pulse until you get it until it looks like breading. then add a few more corn flakes and cap'n crunch and pulse those a few times as to leave them a bit chunky.

take about 4 large sized bonless chicken breasts and remove then cut them into tender sized pieces. take them and lightly coat them in flour. after that put them into an egg wash or ranch dressing. bread the chicken using the breading and then deep dry/bake/panf ry them.

and for somthing to dip it in i usualy mix about 1 part honey mustard to 3 parts mayo. Edited by Vancity604

i don't have any recipes for a pre-hookah session meal, but I do really enjoy to cook

my chili, simple and really delicious:

1 pound of ground beef, more if you want more.
1 whole sweet onion, half finely diced, half chopped, or whatever you want, I like onion so I leave half of it chopped a bit bigger
1 can of diced tomatoes w/ chipotle or other spicy seasoning
1 can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of chilipowder
2 cloves of diced garlic, I use the pre chopped that comes in a jar
1 can of kidney beans (optional)

I cook the beef and onions separately in order to make sure the onions are the right texture and the beef doesn't burn. I brown and drain the beef, then set it aside in a bowl, then cook the onions in the same pan as the beef was. Make sure the onions are fairly soft, crunchy onions in chili are no good, unless you want em and put em on top. I also throw the garlic in with the onions when they're just about done to sweat out the garlic before everything else is added. Add everything else, give it a stir and let it simmer for about 2 hours at least. the longer the better. this'll cook down the tomatoes and bring out all the flavors. this chili should be really thick and chunky. I serve it over noodles w/ some melted cheddar cheese and a spoonful of sour cream.

I also have a really good pork chop recipe.

bread the pork chops in a bit of flour and just brown the outside w/ some oil in a pan. then bake them in a baking dish with a cup of ketchup, a cup of chili sauce, a bottle of beer, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar for about an hour to an hour 15 minutes. This recipe's called milwaukee pork chops and they are really good. especially if you drown them in the sauce when you eat em.

I do enjoy cooking but this apartment I am in now has very little room so I dont make to much anymore. But I can tell you what is made the most and its quite easy.

Boil 1.5 cups water on stove
Open pack of Ramen
Dump in pack when boiling
cook for 3 minutes
dump into bowl with how ever much water you like
Add flavor packet
Stir and enjoy

but I do have 3 pounds of ribs in my freezer which I really need to cook up. Hrrmm, maybe wednesday I will make myself a banging meal.