Homebrew Update

Scalliwag

glad it turned out good for you scalli! great feeling to kick back after work and drink some suds that you made... greatest buzz you'll ever have! smile.gif

If you're concerned about price, there's a couple of options for you.. one is to buy your malt extract in bulk.. DME gets stale (oxidized) much much faster than DME, so it doesn't last long.. DME, however, is expensive.. www.austinhomebrew sells some GREAT kits, for a decent price.. they use DME, however they go through a ton of it, so it's quite fresh..

Your other option, now that you know what you're doing, is to get into All Grain.. I'm brewing now in the $15-20 range for 5 gallons.. I'm going to start buying my grains in bulk, so that will drop me well below $15 per 5 gallons...

That is the idea I like more than anything not because of cheap, just more hands on and I am all about that part more than anything.
To me that is the real bragging rights. And you can really put your own claim and signiture to the end result. Not to say that there is not plenty to be said about making your own beer regardless of using a malt extract or not.... but you know what I mean by the extra gratification the higher challenge brings I'm sure.

well.....

Im sitting here bottling a 2 gallon batch right now....

Just a commercial style beer.... cheap can kit... was on clearance...

Actaully this is my first time bottling beer.... and Im using the plastic bottles that coors makes for times when glass isnt allowed.. "Gridiron Pack". I usually minikeg.... but I'm really lazy and dont want to go out and dig up my kegs.... and sanitize them...

Be happy to get all my gear out of storage and get some Triskellion Ale back under production... (which is close to Thunderhead IPA... just not as fruity.... aroma hops difference)

Soon as I get this bottled I'm gonna get this small fermenter goin again with another 2 gallon can kit... Stout this time.

Maybe I missed it Scalli, did your beer turn out anything like Shiner?... been a while since you bottled... has it been 2 weeks yet?

I need to bottle my 5th batch Saturday, and rack batch #6 to secondary. I've done three batches thus far as extract + steeping grains and three partial mash batches since I built a mash tun. Partial mash is a lot more interesting to me than all extract, but there's more that can go wrong. I'd like to try all grain since it's pretty much the same process with more grain, but my electric stove isn't up to boiling 6 gallons of wort. With partial mashing I'm boiling a little more than 4 gallons and topping up in the fermenter.

QUOTE (Lakemonster @ Jan 31 2007, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well.....

Im sitting here bottling a 2 gallon batch right now....

Just a commercial style beer.... cheap can kit... was on clearance...

Actaully this is my first time bottling beer.... and Im using the plastic bottles that coors makes for times when glass isnt allowed.. "Gridiron Pack". I usually minikeg.... but I'm really lazy and dont want to go out and dig up my kegs.... and sanitize them...

Be happy to get all my gear out of storage and get some Triskellion Ale back under production... (which is close to Thunderhead IPA... just not as fruity.... aroma hops difference)

Soon as I get this bottled I'm gonna get this small fermenter goin again with another 2 gallon can kit... Stout this time.

Maybe I missed it Scalli, did your beer turn out anything like Shiner?... been a while since you bottled... has it been 2 weeks yet?

it is very tasty stuff. I am down to about 7 bottles sad.gif It has a bock flavor smile.gif

I used to make my own homebrew but i dont have a shed in the place i am in now, you can make some good stuff smile.gif, try using honey instead of sugar for the fermentation stage - makes for a really sweet taste. Another thing i have played around with is chucking a few chillies in during fermenation as well. Chilli beer is good if you dont put too much chilli in tongue.gif. Also for a bit more of a kick use 2L less water than you normally would - it kicks the % up a few notches without the need of changing your sugar mixes.

i was actually just looking into brewing my own beer. my old teacher from high school did it and won 1st place in canada for his home brew (it was a dark beer). he said he could hook me up with absolutly everything i need for 100 and give me personal lessons, i decided to go for it and in may he'll teach me. if my calculations are correct on just ingredites it costs just over 2 dollars for 6 beers. this is going to be a fun summer let me tell you hahaha

but back on topic nicely done scalli

I have been making all sorts of exotic full mash ales, braggots, meads, gruits, perries and ciders for a lot of years now and it you want any recomendations about equipment, recipes, suppliers etc. i'd be happy to help. My speciality is recipes and methods from before the industrial revolution as I think those sorts of brews are the best. I've also done some brewing professionally so if that's your bit just let me know.