Homemade Funnel Bowl Mod W/pics

THE NAMELESS

TO MAKE YOUR OWN MOD!!! biggrin.gif

1. 3/4" copper pipe cap (buy a few they are cheap and you can try different things) from your local Hardware store.

2. Nibbling tool from RadioShack (Cut the cap to the right height & put it airflow gaps)

3. Misc tools: Tin snips (make gaps differently?) Narrow pliers for bending tabs out a bit to let air flow in. Files & sandpaper (400-1000 grit) to remove sharp edges from tinkering biggrin.gif

4. Oh Yeah - A Phunnel might be useful here blink.gif

My first attempt - all I did was remove a couple of 'nibbles' all around the bottom of the cap until the top was even with the outer edge of the phunnel.

Then 'nibbled' 6 gaps evenly spaced around the cap bottom for smoke flow. Bent these out a bit w/ the pliers.

Smoothed everything up w/ files and sandpaper (use dish soap w/ sandpaper to get super clean finish, then rise w/ water or lemon juice.

RESULTS:
Good thick clouds on no-name 30" Egyptian w/ SB Blackberry + homemade diffuser. 1 + 1/2 3K got a great start, used 2 sets for 1.5 hours.
Draw was a little work due to slightly overtight packing: Keep this in mind. Just used 1 pc of Renolds w/ 3 rings of toothpick holes. 2nd set of coals actually increased smoke w/o harshness.
I've only had a chance to try out one variation. I will eventually post more ideas (w/ pics) when I get time. Being only a 'hobbyist' hookah user, this may take some time so... huh.gif

Hope this helps some more... Edited by hookahmike

Great job guys. That little nibbler from Radio Shack looks very handy. I have bought a lot of electronic components and tools there but I never looked for anything outside that line from RS. Pretty cheap too.
I think for most people that the mods are plenty cheap to buy. But for those that like to make stuff it is a fun project.

The mod makes a lot of sense now doesn't it? If Eric would have never my a phunnel I would have never thought about that part of the equation. As soon as I saw one I was thinking about heat taking the least path of resistance and thought up this idea. Keeping the molasses in the bowl was pure genius of Eric. I would venture to say that the phunnel would be the best truly new idea and best bang for the buck product in hookahs for quite some time.
I took one of my phunnels to my local Indian grocer and he was fascinated by it. He is middle eastern and been around hookahs all his life and he said it was ingenius. A pretty big compliment especially considering the source.

• 7 months later...
I've heard rumors that making your own scalli mod out of copper could be dangerous because it tosses another carcinogen on top of the smoke itself. I'd rather make my own for a number of reasons, mainly because it would be fun, but if its going to take even more years off my life im happy to pay the $7 or whatever it is. Thanks for your help...

QUOTE (FelixLegion @ Aug 13 2007, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard rumors that making your own scalli mod out of copper could be dangerous because it tosses another carcinogen on top of the smoke itself. I'd rather make my own for a number of reasons, mainly because it would be fun, but if its going to take even more years off my life im happy to pay the $7 or whatever it is. Thanks for your help...

You can always just use the aluminum (I'm pretty sure) bottom of a tealight candle as a cheap and "safe" mod. Just take in the sides for airflow, and you're ready to smoke. Nothing more getting heated except the same aluminum like your foil.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (hookahmike @ Jan 2 2007, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. 3/4" copper pipe cap (buy a few they are cheap and you can try different things) from your local Hardware store.

Does anyone do f'n research of metals!?! Maybe ask welders or anyone with knowledge of metalurgy?! Go on a welding fourm and tell them what your doing, get flamed.

Don't use cooper! Have you ever heard of heavy-metal poisoning? Maybe Acute Heavy-metal poisoning? Yes, copper is a very soft and cheap metal, but it's not to be used under any heat! The oxides that copper produces like any other non-ferrous metal, are very dangerous when heated. Its not the metal that vaporizes, but the oxides from the metal that have copper in them. It might not effect you now, but over time it will build up in your body and ruin your life. If you want to listen to those who dont work with metal on a day to day basis; welding, fabricating, forging, and brazing... Keep using it, after all its your grave..

Steel. Either regular rustable kind or Stainless steel. The best is to use stainless. Don't use galvinized steel, because heating will causes some sort of chemical rxn. If you don't belive me try it youself, makes a good light show.

QUOTE (FURsAKeN @ Sep 10 2007, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hookahmike @ Jan 2 2007, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone do f'n research of metals!?! Maybe ask welders or anyone with knowledge of metalurgy?! Go on a welding fourm and tell them what your doing, get flamed.

Don't use cooper! Have you ever heard of heavy-metal poisoning? Maybe Acute Heavy-metal poisoning? Yes, copper is a very soft and cheap metal, but it's not to be used under any heat! The oxides that copper produces like any other non-ferrous metal, are very dangerous when heated. Its not the metal that vaporizes, but the oxides from the metal that have copper in them. It might not effect you now, but over time it will build up in your body and ruin your life. If you want to listen to those who dont work with metal on a day to day basis; welding, fabricating, forging, and brazing... Keep using it, after all its your grave..

Scalliwag, the original inventor of the mod, was a welder and knows his shit. As long as you keep that copper mod absolutely spotless of oxidation, you should be in the clear.

QUOTE (OPR234 @ Sep 11 2007, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scalliwag, the original inventor of the mod, was a welder and knows his shit. As long as you keep that copper mod absolutely spotless of oxidation, you should be in the clear.

Scalliwag, as well as any welder would be aware of the dangers of heating copper. Spotless of oxidation? You really think thats going to make a difference? There are oxides in the metal that come through when the metal is heated as well.
We've had guys get metal poisoning from stuff like this, even with copper. Trying to make pipes from this sort of thing.
Also isn't the mod glass? Yeah, big difference in material there..

QUOTE (FURsAKeN @ Sep 12 2007, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (OPR234 @ Sep 11 2007, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scalliwag, as well as any welder would be aware of the dangers of heating copper. Spotless of oxidation? You really think thats going to make a difference? There are oxides in the metal that come through when the metal is heated as well.
We've had guys get metal poisoning from stuff like this, even with copper. Trying to make pipes from this sort of thing.
Also isn't the mod glass? Yeah, big difference in material there..

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but Scalliwag was in fact a welder, and saw no problems using copper for his mod, if you feel like putting effort into this you can look it up. I don't see how most mods people use are glass is of any importance to this issue. In fact, you seem pretty informed and experienced in how toxic copper can be, would you mind providing me a list of the oxides that a standard copper tube would emit when heated, the temperature at which they emit, and solid research confirming these chemicals are indeed harmful? Additionally, in Scalliwag's original tutorial he used a torch to heat his mod up to the point where it was glowing, if i remember correctly. Would that type of temper skew your claim?

I'm not exactly trying to say that copper is safe to smoke from, but I'm not seeing any credible information that says so.

Very well, I will respect your wishes; be reasonable and I will not persue this to start an arguement. If you would still like me compile a list and show copies of information from my manuals and publications; I will be willing to dig it up, given a few days.
If you could do me the favor and also educate me in the previous mods of scalliwag. Also, I was not trying claim he wasn't in fact a welder. Given the fact of what he has done for the hookah community as a whole just shows how much of a craftsman he really is. Damn great one.
I was just hoping he would of pointed this out. Maybe I just need to go back and re-educate myself on this topic, because there is something I missed or a misunderstanding.
I'm sorry to anyone I may of offended, I read back over my posts and realized I have gotten a little heated on the subject and been a little brash. Sorry dudes.

http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?showt...%20mod&st=0

Scalli's responses start on the second page, be sure to read them all if you want his whole take on the subject. I can't find his original post about the mod, but this basically tells you what they were and how they were made. I won't pretend to have vast amounts of knowledge on metallurgy and such, so please tell me if you think there's some flawed logic or something here.