American Beverages/Confectionary

King Mo

I personally am not too impressed with the Chocolates available in the USA. (candy bars)

Most people I know from the states, always come here and buy boxes of chocolate bars because they prefer it. Company's such as 'cadburys' make a far tastier chocolate bar than the things Hershey's have to offer. Even your Mars and Snickers bars taste a little different..

There is however one exception.[b] Payday.[/b] That stuff is like crack cocaine.

Is this salty-sweet bundle of goodness popular, or am I just some random tourist that likes it :)

What about Rootbeer?? Mcdonalds used to do that here but they stopped around 15 years ago. I guess people didn't want a drink that tasted like Pepto-Bismol. Is that very popular, or is it one of those things that most people hate, like celery?

It's not that popular...And I agree with American chocolate being crappy for the most part. I would say Ghirardelli is an exception to that, [url="http://www.ghirardelli.com"]http://www.ghirardelli.com[/url] . But I'm more of a Lindt or Milka fan above all.
And onto Rootbeer, I haven't noticed a drop off really at all like that. I don't know what you were drinking when you though it tasted like Pepto..since Pepto is a fruity chalky taste, nothing remotely close to Rootbeer.

Do your best to find a nice chocolatier of European chocolates. That's your best bet for getting really great chocolate in America.

As far as root beer goes, I like Barq's. Typically fountain soft drinks found in restaurants taste horribly nasty, stick to bottles :)

Best chocolates in america period

dark- scharfenberger berkeley ca

milk- chocolove colorado

forget hersheys and all the other over processed brands.That contain very little coca beans hersheys coca content is 10 or 11% scharfenberger makes a 88% coca content bar........ get ready for a pure chocolate buzz.They also give free tours in the plant learn all about chocolate and sample many diffrent types also.

well hersheys was originally made to bring chocoloate to the general public instead of only the rich(when chocolate was expenisve as heck) so it contains alot of milk solids and other fillers. They still use the same recipe and it has its uses. but i agree that a good chocolate (many good american chocolates by the way) should be dark and should contain at least 60% cocoa. my favorite general eating chocolate (not being super premium) is the lindt 70% cocoa bar. Super tasty and not too bitter which happens when you get up into the high 80% and above. i had a 92% cocoa bar at one point and it was too chalky and bitter on account of the super high percentage.

obviously european chocolatiers have a longer history in the chocolate industry. heck theyve been making the stuff since before america existed giving them more time to "get it right"

I heart english cadburys dairy milk and fruit and nut. sooo good. i think the english milk has alot to do with the difference in taste between the UK and US versions of the bars.

rootbeer is good! its a taste you either love or hate. my mom thinks it tastes like medicine and cant even stand the smell. i enjoy it but need to be in the right mood to pick it over say coke or the like.

[quote name='SanguineSolitude']well hersheys was originally made to bring chocoloate to the general public instead of only the rich(when chocolate was expenisve as heck) so it contains alot of milk solids and other fillers. They still use the same recipe and it has its uses. but i agree that a good chocolate (many good american chocolates by the way) should be dark and should contain at least 60% cocoa. my favorite general eating chocolate (not being super premium) is the lindt 70% cocoa bar. Super tasty and not too bitter which happens when you get up into the high 80% and above. i had a 92% cocoa bar at one point and it was too chalky and bitter on account of the super high percentage.

obviously european chocolatiers have a longer history in the chocolate industry. heck theyve been making the stuff since before america existed giving them more time to "get it right"

I heart english cadburys dairy milk and fruit and nut. sooo good. i think the english milk has alot to do with the difference in taste between the UK and US versions of the bars.

rootbeer is good! its a taste you either love or hate. my mom thinks it tastes like medicine and cant even stand the smell. i enjoy it but need to be in the right mood to pick it over say coke or the like.[/quote]

I think it's safe to say I love you.

I LOVE cadburys. I used to go to a commissary that sold it by the case. SO CREAMY. SO DELICIOUS. NEED MORE./

Theres also this stuff that comes out every easter....Irish cream...i dont know a brand name, but its FUCKIN GOOD. I inhale it. I want it. Need it. Now.

you mean cacao, sang? :P But yeah, the dark chocolate is starting to take over the market in America... like hardcore like.

Oh yeah, and yay toblerone!!! That's some good stuff right there :D

Ok... just saying it because while every once in awhile you'll see it as cocoa.... mostly I've just seen Cacao %...

[url="http://www.ghirardelli.com/products/chocbars_intense_twilight.aspx"]http://www.ghirardelli.com/products/chocba...e_twilight.aspx[/url]
[url="http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/shop_lindt_dark70.html"]http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/shop_lin...ndt_dark70.html[/url]
An example of both... don't have time to look for more, I'm late for work

[quote name='King Mo']What about Rootbeer?? Mcdonalds used to do that here but they stopped around 15 years ago. I guess people didn't want a drink that tasted like Pepto-Bismol. Is that very popular, or is it one of those things that most people hate, like celery?[/quote]

Pepto-Bismal's flavoring is mostly wintergreen I believe. Real root beer does contain wintergreen, but it also has a lot of other flavorings in it. Root beer varies from one manufacturer to another as to what it tastes like. Barq's is slightly bitter due to adding caffeine, A&W is just syrupy sweet, IBC is a good "real" rootbeer flavor, and Virgil's is also in that category.

My boss went to Switzerland for about 2 weeks in October and brought back this box of chocolates that were absolutely to die for...I dont even think they lasted more than an hour....I cannot stand a chocolate that leaves a waxy feeling on the roof of your mouth. Hersheys has it all wrong, its gritty like you are crunching on the grains of sugar or something. The only time I use that chocolate is for s'mores~! Other than that, I like Ghradelli and Godiva Chocolatiers...they make this key lime pie truffle...fantastic..I can only eat one of their chocolates because its so strong...

Ok, well thats fine and all....but, I will state that in my own opinion, their chocolate is not up to par...For my own taste...Trust me, im not bashing an american icon....

Well, everything we say on what we think is an opinion, ya don't gotta say it :) I actually think plain hershey's is pretty decent, I don't know how you get the "grainy" though it it's plain hershey's, I just like to let it "melt" in my mouth. And I agree with Sang, what other chocolate can you find that is as good and affordable as Hershey's? I say this even with my affinity for European chocolate.... What were the chocolates from Swizterland? Lindt?

Cadburys is the British equivalent of Hersheys. It is also designed to bring chocolate to the masses.

It's just that most relatives in the States ask us to send them boxes of the stuff :) because it tastes much better.

Even other Chocolates like Kit-Kat for example taste better here.

The only exception for me is Payday which is fantastic.

[quote name='King Mo']Cadburys is the British equivalent of Hersheys. It is also designed to bring chocolate to the masses.

It's just that most relatives in the States ask us to send them boxes of the stuff :) because it tastes much better.

Even other Chocolates like Kit-Kat for example taste better here.

The only exception for me is Payday which is fantastic.[/quote]
You really love those Payday bars, don't you? They're tasty, even though I rarely eat chocolate/candy of any kind