OMG Look

djbomberto

[quote name='SanguineSolitude']you dont believe it? did you read the article. scepticism is good. irrational conclusions are "retarded"[/quote]

The BBC News page has an interesting article about... In which
the actual doctor/scientist ect makes reference to Harry the Potter.

But he doubts it will happen..... yet :P

Science fiction/Science Fact!

JD

[quote name='SanguineSolitude']def cool but its a misleading headline since they didnt actually create an invisibility cloak. they created a small amount of a material that can perform a similar function to invisibility but only for microwaves.[/quote]

Yeah and who wants an invisible microwave?? I mean when you're loaded at 2 AM and want to nuke a burrito why make that more difficult? At that time I'm already fumbling with the wrapper and dropping the thing on the ground and shit. One of the few functions I can perform is finding the microwave. I see no purpose!!!!! Fire all those scientists!!!

HAHAHAH toothhookah thats great.

and johnnysgirl weve been over this before you are entitled to an opinion. but we would appreciate if you could at least think about it before stating it. kneejerk reactions dont get us anywhere. what basis do you have for not believing it? do you distrust all science, do you not understand how they say it works? it seems fairly plausible given the small amount of data they expressed. indeed the multiple reportings of it and the credibility of the scientists would also suggest that theres at least some validity.

they arent claiming to have made clothes that make you perfectly invisible, but rather to have developed technology which may one day lead to such a thing. i dont know why im even writing this.

irrational means not logical. your opinion was not logical making the rationality of it not a matter of opinion. :mrgreen:
and i have nothing against you personally im just sick of logic being removed from our modern culture. appeals to emotion have somehow become valid arguments and im not sure why.

[quote name='SanguineSolitude']HAHAHAH toothhookah thats great.  

and johnnysgirl weve been over this before you are entitled to an opinion. but we would appreciate if you could at least think about it before stating it. kneejerk reactions dont get us anywhere. what basis do you have for not believing it? do you distrust all science, do you not understand how they say it works? it seems fairly plausible given the small amount of data they expressed. indeed the multiple reportings of it and the credibility of the scientists would also suggest that theres at least some validity.

they arent claiming to have made clothes that make you perfectly invisible, but rather to have developed technology which may one day lead to such a thing. i dont know why im even writing this.

irrational means not logical. your opinion was not logical making the rationality of it not a matter of opinion.  :mrgreen:  
and i have nothing against you personally im just sick of logic being removed from our modern culture. appeals to emotion have  somehow become valid arguments and im not sure why.[/quote]

HAHA!!! :lol:

I could care less what you say about me and my opinion, that is what makes it an opinion, its how I think and how I feel about something...And to be completely honest it doesnt matter if there is proof or not. I do not have to have logic to back what I think...All I know is that Harry Potter is FICTIONAL and that making an invisibility cloak is an obsurd idea...It takes magic to make something like that happen. Instead of using all that brain power to make a stupid invisibility cloak, why dont they direct it to a cure for aids and cancer, now that is magic worth working for!

[quote name='EvansLight']invisibly isnt as hard as you think, all we see is reflections, your not seeing you, your seeing the light reflected off you :D just stop the reflection, and boom no person.[/quote]

that makes you unidentifiable, but not invisible.

Invisibility requires the removal of the shadow as well.
you can put a blanket over you, blocking you from light, but it doesn't make you invisible.

And what they have done sounds plausible, but transferring that to the visible light spectrum is going to be very difficult, and this 5 inch thick blanket type thing is going to be far too heavy to put over a person.

20000 leagues under the sea was a FICTIONAL novel written before submarines even existed. therefor using johnnysgirls "opinion" submarines could never exist and are "obsurd" ideas. it probably takes magic to make submarines too. and definately flying machines would take magic, because how could they fly otherwise? just because a technology is not currently available doesnt mean it never can be, especially when the experts (those being people who dont make wild conjectures based on gut feelings, but who in fact actually know something) suggest it may be possible.

i dont understand this newfangled idea that as long as you have an opinion, its valid. that may be true in the metaphysical realm but when it comes to real world things, just because you FEEL that it would be impossible to make a car doesnt mean your opinion is valid. because we know youre WRONG. "to be completely honest it doesnt matter if theres proof or not." I agree wholeheartedly,, youll never get me to stop believing in reindeer, santa, unicorns, leprechauns, fairys, and dare i say it? God? sure theres no fact and nothing to suggest they exist and alot that suggests they dont. but we dont worry about proof do we? as long as i feel it its good enough. wonderful reasoning there.

the article was drawing a comparison between the research and Harry Potter in order to engage readers. a fabric that would make one invisible would indeed be much like the cloak used in the fictional work of harry potter. Im sorry if it mislead you into thinking they actually made the invisibility cloak from harry potter.

p.s. cure for aids and cancer wouldnt be magic either. and a "cure" for aids would be nearly impossible with current technology because the HIV virus mutates at such a rapid rate that any antiviral medication we currently have is quickly defeated by the virus. Same reason applies to why we cant get rid of the flu and common cold. Cancer is a different matter, while it does appear that a huge number of cancers appear to be caused by viruses, the cancer itself is not a disease, its your own cells rapidly dividing out of control. Cancer seems easier to cure because one could hypothetically shut down the dividing cells. thats what current cancer medications(chemotherapy) seeks to do, kill all rapidly dividing cells. this is also why one loses ones hair (the growth is through dividing cells in the follicle)
as to the why study this my dear... why thats science. who knows what applications this could yield. plus if you thought for a minute you would realize that a bunch of highly trained engineers would be essentially useless when it came to performing medical experiments. why dont you leave the thinking to others for a while.

[quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote name='SanguineSolitude']HAHAHAH toothhookah thats great.  

irrational means not logical. your opinion was not logical making the rationality of it not a matter of opinion.  :mrgreen:  
and i have nothing against you personally im just sick of logic being removed from our modern culture. appeals to emotion have  somehow become valid arguments and im not sure why.[/quote]

I could care less what you say about me and my opinion, that is what makes it an opinion, its how I think and how I feel about something...And to be completely honest it doesnt matter if there is proof or not. I do not have to have logic to back what I think...All I know is that Harry Potter is FICTIONAL and that making an invisibility cloak is an obsurd idea...It takes magic to make something like that happen. Instead of using all that brain power to make a stupid invisibility cloak, why dont they direct it to a cure for aids and cancer, now that is magic worth working for![/quote]

I think this is the funniest comment EVER. I think you should go into politics, JG, you seem to follow the same sense of "logic" (or lack thereof) that many politicians do. A cure for AIDS or cancer wouldn't involve magic either. Who would've thought that humans could come up with a cure for polio or meningitis?? Is that magic too? Absolutely AAAAAbsurd.

You are certainly entitled to an opinion, but as we've all brought up many times, don't get pissy when we question your "logic". We have the "right" to our own as well.

I would work on that logic thing though. It's absence in your comments...well.. :roll:

[quote name='MilqueToast'][quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote name='SanguineSolitude']HAHAHAH toothhookah thats great.  

I could care less what you say about me and my opinion, that is what makes it an opinion, its how I think and how I feel about something...And to be completely honest it doesnt matter if there is proof or not. I do not have to have logic to back what I think...All I know is that Harry Potter is FICTIONAL and that making an invisibility cloak is an obsurd idea...It takes magic to make something like that happen. Instead of using all that brain power to make a stupid invisibility cloak, why dont they direct it to a cure for aids and cancer, now that is magic worth working for![/quote]

I think this is the funniest comment EVER. I think you should go into politics, JG, you seem to follow the same sense of "logic" (or lack thereof) that many politicians do. A cure for AIDS or cancer wouldn't involve magic either. Who would've thought that humans could come up with a cure for polio or meningitis?? Is that magic too? Absolutely AAAAAbsurd.

You are certainly entitled to an opinion, but as we've all brought up many times, don't get pissy when we question your "logic". We have the "right" to our own as well.

I would work on that logic thing though. It's absence in your comments...well.. :roll:[/quote]how dare you disagree with someone who thinks my comment is great!!!! its alright. i will get high!! i will survive. grateful dead 3 life!

[quote name='toothhookahharp'][quote name='MilqueToast'][quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote name='SanguineSolitude']HAHAHAH toothhookah thats great.  

I would work on that logic thing though. It's absence in your comments...well.. :roll:[/quote]how dare you disagree with someone who thinks my comment is great!!!! its alright. i will get high!! i will survive. grateful dead 3 life![/quote]

No way, dollface. You rock my socks. Throw an invisibilty cloak on the stupid parts of this thread, and you still rock my socks.

How dare YOU negate my opinion. It's my opinion, and it can't be wrong. Duh. :roll:

[quote name='toothhookahharp']hey some opinions are objective and some are subjective. i dont know where ima gonna go when the volcano blow i dont know! mines is objective!!! someones built a candy castle for my sweet 16 someone built a candy house to house her in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x[/quote]

Hopefully, you picked up on the sarcasm...

except you do rock my socks.

[quote name='MilqueToast'][quote name='toothhookahharp']hey some opinions are objective and some are subjective. i dont know where ima gonna go when the volcano blow i dont know! mines is objective!!! someones built a candy castle for my sweet 16 someone built a candy house to house her in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x[/quote]

Hopefully, you picked up on the sarcasm...

except you do rock my socks.[/quote]of course. i was hoping you picked up on my awesome ass music quotes.

[quote name='JonnysGirl']Instead of using all that brain power to make a stupid invisibility cloak, why dont they direct it to a cure for aids and cancer, now that is magic worth working for![/quote]

Amen, sister.

I must humbly offer the opinion that enough humans have died of AIDS and cancer.

I just want to point out, the point of the article was that it was "theoretically" possible to do that with visible light. Problem is, visible light is more energetic than microwaves, so making something someone could wear might be a problem...that is, the application might not be practical...I would guess that is the case.

yes Eric but my reply to that is that using all that brain power to cure aids wouldnt work in this instance. Just like saying why should auto mechanics fix cars when there are so many sick people in the world, cant they just fix the people instead. Your average engineer has alot of training, none of it in biology, microbiology, viriology, or general lab research. Why would you choose a group of engineers to "use all that brainpower" and cure aids. Seems an illogical jump. Now a better jump would be to suggest those in the viriology community should try to cure aids, although this suggests that they arent already trying to. Remember guys we havent gotten rid of the flu virus yet, what makes you think we can somehow just do away with aids.

and yes far too many have died of aids and cancer... just dont blame the engineers for practicing engineering