amish school shooting

I had heard this, from my father, then forgot it. Penn and Teller's Season Three of Bullshit regarding Gun Control (or also named the violent overthrow of the government). Red the second amendment. A well regulated militia, being necessary for a free state, the right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed. Note the comma and that the beginning of the second part says...the right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed. Forgive me if my quote is not exact. In the second part of the second amendment it specifically says "The people". If I were to say "Teachers are necessary for a well-balanced educational system, people should not be stopped from learning as much as they can at home." What did I say? Did I say teachers should not be stopped from learning at home? No, I did not. Thats the same misinterpretation, more or less as saying the right to keep and bear arms is reserved for the militia. The article of the second part of the second amendment is the people, not the milita...admittedly, to our 21st century way of speaking, it seems rather odd, but they were very fond of preambles and foreword material in speaking or in writing. They were saying that the militia is made up of people (true), it is necessary for the militia to protect us (true) so people have to have guns. Where is there room for other interpretation...I am reading it as written, very clear. I do believe that limiting people in their immediate purchase is reasonable...an overnight revolution isn't probably just. I don't believe that the governement has the right to limit people from having automatic or semi-automatic weapons. Background checks are one thing...as long as they don't get political, telling people that they can't protect themselves from the "police" with the same weapons the "police" will be drawing on them is absurd.

Let me shoot in a comment on this one. I agree that taking guns away from everyone would be just fine. But the thing is, the people who do illegal things with guns wont have a problem buying an illegal gun. So technally all you will be doing is disarming the victims. Because the criminals will always have guns no matter what. Case closed.

[quote name='I Make Thunderheads']Let me shoot in a comment on this one. I agree that taking guns away from everyone would be just fine. But the thing is, the people who do illegal things with guns wont have a problem buying an illegal gun. So technally all you will be doing is disarming the victims. Because the criminals will always have guns no matter what. Case closed.[/quote]

Currently there are 3 ways that a criminal in the US can get a gun lets consider gun smugglers as criminals for the sake of discussion.
a. From a private citizen that legally purchased the gun and has no morale objection to selling it illegally to a criminal
b. From a corrupt member of the firearms industry.
c. From a corrupt member of the military

The military and the firearms industry are at least somewhat regulated and semi-professional in their conduct. However there isn't much stopping your average citizen from selling his weapon to some gangster if he can't meet that months rent. Illegal weapon purchases are often linked back to legal weapons use.

Underground firearms dealers have access to pleanty of guns with no serial numbers and such. There are so many guns already illegaly trading hands that "taking guns away" would still leave countless guns on the street that are unaccounted for. Then to get MORE guns on top of those PP's idea is true, but what about guns that are smuggled into this country? Its gona happen. You are speaking of ways for american criminals to get guns from other amerians. We need to think outside the box, the possibilities are endless.

OMG, im rambeling now. Anyway, have any of you heard about that town in Kansas or something where it was required by law to own a gun in your home. After that B&E's and home invasions were nearly non-existant? Its because the criminal knows that if he trys to climb threw your window at 2 in the morning its a pretty damn good chance hes takin a hallow point to the cranium. Crime actually lowered with MORE guns.

• 2 weeks later...