How To Tell If E Hookah Is Broke Or Out Of Puffs?

Hi all, I've been selling e hookah pens for a few weeks and I've sold a good amount. Now one buyer who bought two pens from me has sent me a message saying one doesn't work and they want a refund. I checked their profile and they're fairly new to this site, so I told them to send me the broken e hookah. 

Is there a way to tell whether it doesn't work or has just been used up? I don't want to get scammed for a free pen here, also I don't smoke the e hookah pens often myself. To avoid this in future, should I test them myself before I send them out, like 1 puff to see if they work? I didn't do this already as I thought some person could be counting the puffs then make a claim against me, as silly as it sounds these people do exist.

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

From a business stand point, you need to make a standard on returns.  Are you doing returns or refusing them?  If the costs on each pen is minimal, then you might as well do returns as you earn goodwill while not losing out on much money.  You could then decide to stop selling to someone if you believe they're doing it often and not of goodwill.

As to how to test them: Are these the cheapo, disposable ones or full-on heavy-duty ones?  I'd think people wouldn't want you testing the disposable ones.