No Jobs

speel

Possibly some of you guys could relate.As a 18 year old it's almost impossible to find a job here in Nyc. I must of submitted about 10 applications to 10 different places and no responce from any of them. How is a young adult supposed to find a job .

The answer is you're not suppose to - your suppose to go to college, but that CAN be expensive - so you're stuck battling for minimum wage drugery. It's unfortunately the way things work - look for something creative or constructive, something where you end up with some sort of physical or conceptual completed thing at the end of the day - as opposed to selling shit or whatever...

It gets easier later in life...you have to call them back. Go back and visit. Talk to the person who is in charge of hiring. You have to make a face stand out on that application. They get hundreds of applications...unless someone stands out, you ignore them all...get aggressive...whats the worst thing that happens? They still don't hire you? Don't be an asshole, just pursue that job. Call the manager...go back in. Tell them things like "All I want is the job and a chance to show you I can do it."...its gold.

Tangiers has it down dude. You can't wait for THEM to respond, they could care less about you having a job. You need to get in their face about it, so that the next time they think about the opening they go "Oh wait...that guy comes in here every week asking about it..." It may seem like you are annoying the hell out of them, and in reality you may be, but they like having people that act like they want their job.Thats how I've had a steady job since I was 14.

[quote name='Macho555'] You can't wait for THEM to respond, they could care less about you having a job.[/quote] thats "couldn't care less". you seem to indicate that do indeed care. sorry, one of my pet peeves.in any case, its easier for them to deny an application than it is to tell someone to their face "no".

I got my first job when I was 14. Worked...quite a bit ,nearly continuously ever since:Fast FoodPizza DeliveryFast FoodPizza DeliveryPizza DeliveryProcess ServerGas StationCoins and Metal ReclamationRecord Store ManagerAdult Book Store ManagerReal Estate Loan ProcessingHome Health CareUniversity Library IT Support, Networks and HardwareHealth Care Consultants, IT Support, generalLead ChemistClerk, Booze ExpertGas Purification EngineerEngineering Department, Gas WarfareEngineering Department, pharmaceuticalsMore or less in order. Who else has a general resume?

Yeah... personal experience... if you don't have someone that can hook you up with a job and introduce you to the people... submit an app, wait a few days, and if you don't hear back from them, ask to talk to the hiring manager... or wait till they need seasonal help and are hiring non stop and hope that they keep you after the season. See, the best time to get a job IMO is like a month before school starts up... alot of summer people are quitting and esp with back to school sales, they're always lookin for people

yeah i thought graduating a year early and going straight to college might help me get a better job but i was wrong lol, right now i just got hired at popeyes but im gettin 75cents more than i was at micky d's, but like tangiers said just call them back and talk to the managers in person, i like to do applications in red so it kind of stands out but i dont know if that helps or hurts me

10 applications is a rather small #.My first real job was the result of around 30 applications submitted. I got 2 calls... and one of them was a month after the fact.Unfortunately. theres not much opportunity for at that age... you are pretty much type cast for those minumum wage jobs. I lucked out in that once I did get my little grocery sacker job, that I was able to bust ass and be dependable enough to get significant raises during that term of employment..... after three months I was promoted to a department clerk position. For one reason or another, theres a high amount of unmotivated employees in the minimum wage sector. I really think that if you do get the job and dont let the menial nature of it discourage you, then you will be rewarded.I do agree with the idea of returning often to a place you really want to work and "reminding" them of how interested you are in working FOR THEM, in that line of work........ not just interested in a paycheck. This demonstrates "tenacity"... a quality found in those that are motivated and not prone to quitting after a week.I really think you should invest in more "pavement" time.

[quote name='Lakemonster']10 applications is a rather small #.  My first real job was the result of around 30 applications submitted. I got 2 calls... and one of them was a month after the fact.[/quote]Same here...30 applications dropped off and i finally got my first job at a bakery. It sucked. I quit one week later because I was offered a job by my friend to work at Subway with him. Six months later I was fired. Two months of unemployment, 30 more applicaions, I finally got another job...in the Zellers Resteraunt. I quit a month later because I was offered a job at Bentley (purse/luggage store) by my cousin who is the manager. That, and it sucked horribly. I hate the food industry!