Keep the penny?

MN Hookah

QUOTE (sicklecow @ Apr 4 2007, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get rid of the penny? How will we know when our tires need replacing?

Haha! Very true. I say leave it. I just keep all my change in this little cup thingy in my room. Within a week,you have over $20 worth of change. Banks have FREE change counters. I know commerce does. I would vote to KEEP THE PENNY!

The penny is obsolete, and needs to be banned just like the 1/2c coin. Regardless of your sentimental attachment for the penny, keep in mind that it costs the taxpayers (you and me) more than a penny to make a penny. Only the federal government would come up with a bone-head deal like that! And it is not even pure copper! It is a zinc core, with a thin copper coating! And what can you BUY with a penny?

Keep in mind that most cash registers have only 4 (four) coin slots. The paper dollar is an anachronism as well! NO other modern country makes a paper bill with the purchasing power of a dollar. A dollar bill lasts about 18 months or less, while a dollar coin will last sometimes 10 years or longer. It is much more cost-effective to have dollar coins.

Our Canadian brethren solved the problem, by phasing out the dollar bill, and minting a $2 coin (the loonie)

When the penny is de-monetized, and out of use, then there will be a free coin drawer in the cash registers.

The new dollar coin with the sequential presidents is going to be a great series! It may even be as popular as the state quarters (The most popular coin series the US Mint ever had).

A dollar bill reader in a vending machine costs about $400, and a dollar coin acceptor costs about $100. When vending machine operators replace the bill reader with a coin acceptor, that will be the end of the paper dollar.